Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shoot_the_goalie

Neck protection

Terrible tragedy concerning Adam Johnson.

I've never worn any sort of neck protection in all my years of playing, but I recently have had my kids wear them (before the unfortunate incident), and thankful that I did.

Now I'm considering wearing one.  Why take a chance, even though I'll be the first to tell anyone that these type of injuries are very rare.

For those who use them, which do you find most comfortable?  I'm assuming the integrated shirts would be?  I could care less about getting chirped and all that silly stuff, but I know I can't wear one of the "brace" type ones...those are just too uncomfortable.  There needs to be a balance.  I don't care about impact protection....just cut protection.

Thanks

I like Aycane stuff, but shipping to me is terrible. 

I'm gonna give Aegis a go, I like it well enough for my goalie gear, so I hope I will be okay with the bib type as a player.

Growing up it was mandatory (I started playing around 1990), wore one til I got to college and it wasn't mandatory anymore.  I remember there were various brands/models, some more comfortable than others, I'm sure now there are even better ones than back then and a lot more to choose from since there's more companies making them now.  I recently saw CCM, Bauer,and Shock Doctor even make base layers with them built in which seems like a nice option, albeit a very expensive one.  Now, personally, I don't know if I'm going to wear one, I mean I bet you're more likely to get cut on wrists/back of legs, and most don't even wear anything in those areas.  This tragedy appears to have been avoidable from what I saw, I've never seen anyone's leg naturally extend how his did but that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

They were mandatory growing up, are mandatory for kids in the Mid-Am region where we are.  Maybe i will get the turtleneck.

but, if someone chirps someone for any equipment it is truly pathetic, grow up.  I have never heard people giving others shit for anything in any games I play.

I wore neck guards growing up to play and those old ones from the 80s and 90s weren't very comfortable. 

I had to start wearing them again when I started reffing a little over a decade ago (it's required for minor hockey in Canada) and the newer Kevlar guards are much more comfortable than the old foam ones.

I have several shirts with built in Kevlar neck guards from both Bauer and CCM and they're all comfortable. I rotate them when one is in the wash so that I always have a fresh, clean one. I also picked up a stand alone Sherwood Kevlar neck guard on sale as a backup and it's also comfortable. Bauer also makes (or at least made a few years ago) an elite Kevlar neck guard that's stand alone. I would say the key to finding one that's comfortable is to look for something thin and made with Kevlar.

I haven't used one to play since minor hockey, but the recent incident makes me consider it. I definitely wouldn't chirp anyone who chooses to do so. 

6 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

They were mandatory growing up, are mandatory for kids in the Mid-Am region where we are.  Maybe i will get the turtleneck.

but, if someone chirps someone for any equipment it is truly pathetic, grow up.  I have never heard people giving others shit for anything in any games I play.

I think it's dumb, but Thomas Plekanec was constantly chirped for wearing a base layer integrated neck guard.  There's that stupid, if I wear uncommon protection, then I'm "soft" mentality.  Happened previously with visors, until NHL mandated them.  Happened in baseball, when David Wright wore that "gazoo" helmet, got made fun of, and then stopped wearing it.  It does happen in the pros as well as your everyday beer league.

Regardless, I could care less about the chirps.  I just want something comfortable, and it looks like the integrated neck guard shirts are worth a try.

Of course, it now looks like everything is sold out everywhere, and if you can find something, the price has dramatically gone up.  But could be a good sign too; more people deciding to wear neck protection after this tragedy.

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

Neck guards are mandated here in the Netherlands and I'm pretty sure the league (CBHL in VA/MD/DC) my boys played in prior to our move required them as well.  They were wearing the Shock Doctor velcro thing.  A lot more comfortable than the padded Kevlar Itech thing I wore thirty years ago.

After the incident in CT a year or so ago, I grabbed the Bauer undershirt/neck guard combo for my oldest boys (U13 at the time) and I picked up the Shock Doctor combo this past summer.  They rotate between the two as things get washed during the week.  They also wear Kevlar socks from Elite which they really like over the Bauer Kevlar socks.

Reading all this, it sounds like overkill but they haven't complained about anything, so I guess it's not too bad.

Risk management I guess...

16 hours ago, nutters said:

Picked up an Aegis one on Sunday. A little stiff with the d3o, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The D3O softens up a bit after it warms up from your skin

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

If you care only about cut resistance, would something like this be reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Protector-Protection-Motorcycling-Paintball/dp/B07P83G4T9/ref=asc_df_B07P83G4T9/

Mark

Look for the EN 388 cut rating. This one is a 3 so it is cut resistant so it give a protective benefit.

https://ca.pipglobal.com/en/updated-en-388-standard/

Love Warroad gear. Picked up New Neck guard base layer shirt for boy last month and he says most comfortable he’s ever worn. Wish I picked up another one as they look to be sold out for foreseeable future…

30 minutes ago, OCpuckhead11 said:

Love Warroad gear. Picked up New Neck guard base layer shirt for boy last month and he says most comfortable he’s ever worn. Wish I picked up another one as they look to be sold out for foreseeable future…

I remember wearing a collar when I was a kid because we had to. Don’t have any interest in wearing a neck protector, but if I did, it would likely be the warroad option. Their base layers are the most breathable I’ve worn from countless brands (not just hockey). pricey but worth it 

5 hours ago, Beflar said:

Didn't see it but I heard it was basicly deliberate, some meat head doing something stupid..

Can anyone comment 

Pretty sure you can find all you need to about it online regarding whether it was deliberate. Or just watch it yourself if you really actually think there's a chance another player intentionally murdered another while playing. Now let's get back to talking about neck guards. If you want a conversation about the incident start another topic or go on Reddit. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Pretty sure you can find all you need to about it online regarding whether it was deliberate. Or just watch it yourself if you really actually think there's a chance another player intentionally murdered another while playing. Now let's get back to talking about neck guards. If you want a conversation about the incident start another topic or go on Reddit. 

The only reason we are talking about neck guards is because of what happened.  

Very first line in the post: "Terrible tragedy concerning Adam Johnson."

Another quote: "This tragedy appears to have been avoidable from what I saw, I've never seen anyone's leg naturally extend how his did but that's just my opinion."

Edited by Beflar

9 hours ago, Beflar said:

The only reason we are talking about neck guards is because of what happened.  

Very first line in the post: "Terrible tragedy concerning Adam Johnson."

Another quote: "This tragedy appears to have been avoidable from what I saw, I've never seen anyone's leg naturally extend how his did but that's just my opinion."

It's called a preface. And the second quote was a line added in a response that actually had input about neck guards for the majority of the post, unlike yours. 

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

It's called a preface. And the second quote was a line added in a response that actually had input about neck guards for the majority of the post, unlike yours. 

One of the functions of a preface is to explain WHY you are writing. 

I can't ask about the why.  Got it.

Note:  There is a search function.  Type in 'Neck guards'.  Just don't tell anyone why you are searching for neck guards because it is apparently not important.

Edited by Beflar

56 minutes ago, Beflar said:

One of the functions of a preface is to explain WHY you are writing. 

I can't ask about the why.  Got it.

Note:  There is a search function.  Type in 'Neck guards'.  Just don't tell anyone why you are searching for neck guards because it is apparently not important.

When did I say you aren't allowed to preface. My reply commenting about the OPs preface was stating why he mentioned it in his post vs you hijacking this thread about neck guards with a post specifically about opinions  regarding the incident.

Like I said, if you are that curious and want to know what happened there are many articles and threads online about it. Even a video if you dare to watch. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

When did I say you aren't allowed to preface. My reply commenting about the OPs preface was stating why he mentioned it in his post vs you hijacking this thread about neck guards with a post specifically about opinions  regarding the incident.

Like I said, if you are that curious and want to know what happened there are many articles and threads online about it. Even a video if you dare to watch. 

Fair enough.  Not going to watch that video thou.  

So what neck brace has the best ventilation because if it is uncomfortable we will all stop wearing it after a few tries.

Edited by Beflar