Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

I'm still in amazement. Oh and the reason the kid wanted to return it (bought it day before Christmas...now is just returning it) is because he wanted white, not gunmetal. Problem is right now they don't make a bauer truvision in white. Makes me smile :)

I didn't even know they made white cages in the last few years. And really, who wants a white cage lol

Customer just had a coworker grind the back two toe picks off her figure skates. Anyone ever do this before? I'll put up a picture when I can get to a computer.

yeah - they are normally recreational skaters who don't necessarily need toepicks.

Customer just had a coworker grind the back two toe picks off her figure skates. Anyone ever do this before? I'll put up a picture when I can get to a computer.

because they think figure skates are girl skates, then they just don't like the picks

This one from about two months ago...(longish story)

Guy buys a pair of TotalOnes from another store, and decides he doesn't like the tongues in them. He brings them to me to see if I can put new ones in (I can't remember which ones he ended up going with). I've played with the guy in the past and he is pretty upset about the tongues not working and the price he was quoted from the other store to have them replaced (they don't do them in-house but send them to someone else) - I make the mistake of trying to do something nice for a buddy and tell him I won't charge him the labor fee I normally get for tongue replacements.

Of course, he wants them done yesterday. I order the tongues and have them rushed here. I install them as soon as they show up that day so he can skate that evening. He comes in, tries them, walks around a bit, says he loves them. I make a point of telling him that I may need to trim the underside of the tongue towards the toe, as it is something I usually do but didn't this time because of time constraints. "Understood. Thanks" and out the door.

A week later, I get a phone call from the guy. The new tongues caused "debilitating pain" in his feet, and now he can't play for two weeks. He wants his money back, and a fresh set of different tongues he can send with the skates to someone who "knows what they are doing". Other than basically calling me an idiot, he is pretty calm at this point, so I ask a few questions. Apparently, they didn't start hurting until the start of the second period, and it was bothering him right where I said it might need trimming. I told him "no problem", bring them in and I will take care of that.

Of course, I can't do anything about it, because he decided that the mid-season, low level men's league game he was playing in was so important that he actually cut (ripped, I should say) the tongues out of the boot, and I guess, played the rest of the game without tongues (and of course by the end of the game, the pain was "debilitating"). Needless to say, at this point all I can say is "I can't do anything for you." He calls me an idiot a few more times.

I see him around the rink the next day, watching his team play. He is walking fine, but his arm is in a soft cast. Guess he was wearing the skate on the wrong limb the whole time :dry:

We had a beauty on wednsday at our shop, a customer bought a total one Intermediate grip stick for her son and put it in the back of her big SUV trunk and according to her while she was driving out her trunk popped open and she thought she noticed the stick fall out in our parking lot which is shared by many other stores. She came back in a couple hours later asking if we found a stick in the parking lot and obviously we didn't because it wasnt our stick and she wanted a replacement stick from us

We had a beauty on wednsday at our shop, a customer bought a total one Intermediate grip stick for her son and put it in the back of her big SUV trunk and according to her while she was driving out her trunk popped open and she thought she noticed the stick fall out in our parking lot which is shared by many other stores. She came back in a couple hours later asking if we found a stick in the parking lot and obviously we didn't because it wasnt our stick and she wanted a replacement stick from us

It works for a slice of pizza...lol

LOL I probably couldn't bring myself to be the person asking for a replacement. I would feel like the biggest idiot in the world for 1) Losing the stick and 2) Actually asking for a replacement because I'm an idiot.

LOL I probably couldn't bring myself to be the person asking for a replacement. I would feel like the biggest idiot in the world for 1) Losing the stick and 2) Actually asking for a replacement because I'm an idiot.

I was wondering why she thought she saw the stick fall out, and didn't get it.

Question for the LHS owners/employees (and I'm sorry if it's been asked before, I haven't read all 150+ pages of this discussion). I've skimming through this thread and it seems a common theme is customers trying on all of your inventory and then getting it online for $X cheaper. Do any of you implement a "service fee" when letting customers try stuff on? Say, $10 or so and then if the customer buys from you, it goes towards the purchase. I'm pretty loyal to my local shops (although I'm not sure if I could call Wesco local to NYC) and I could never imagine doing something like that to an employee who put so much time and effort into fitting me.

Edited by RonLopez

The problem with that is that no one would want to try on gear anymore. It's difficult to gauge what a customer's intents are. If they are just trying on gear towards making an educated purchase towards the LHS or another hockey shop, then the service fee would be too much for customers to even think about trying on gear. If the intents were known that the customer intends to buy online, then the service fee might be appropriate

I was wondering why she thought she saw the stick fall out, and didn't get it.

I think she was trying to scam us as we had a good snow storm that afternoon and she tried pulling the " I buy all my stuff here" line so it would be funny if we did end up finding a total one stick in April when all the snow from the snowplow melts

Hey, so I just wanted to ask any lhs workers if this has ever been done before or if it annoys you. So I may(I'd say 70% chance) get new skates this weekend. However, it isn't from my regular lhs, rather the Canucks outlet store. What I want to know, is if it'd be okay if I bring them to there for the regular heat molding, sharpening and steel/holder replacement if I have too. I have absolutely no problem paying for the heat molding or whatever, I just want to know if this'd annoy any of you guys. I'm a pretty loyal customer to them, and they know that I've had problems with skates for a while..but I'd feel really awkward bringing a pair of skates not from them, and asking them to do all the typical stuff with them... thoughts?