Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

that is why I like DarkStar50's fitting fee

Id be pissed if I had to pay to try on a pair of gloves, personally. I don't know if an employee was helping him or not, but that sucks either way.

Personally I think It'd make sense to have a "fitting fee" that would be waved if the product was purchased... If this is what you guys are referring to anyway, don't mind me.

Personally I think It'd make sense to have a "fitting fee" that would be waved if the product was purchased... If this is what you guys are referring to anyway, don't mind me.

That is the case. There was a long discussion about a fitting fee a while back, which resulted in a banning and a number of deleted argument posts. Needless to say, it is/was a controversial topic

I think Darkstar50's fitting fee pertains to skates.

That is correct. The fitting fee is only for skates.

After the kid's dad left, the kid was still hanging out with his buddy(who I know from another rink travel team). I asked the kid where his dad just bought the gloves. The kid was about 13 years old. He hemmed and hawed. I nicely said, c'mon, I know you know, don't act like you don't. He couldn't even give me the name of the pro shop of the rink his dad ordered them from. I told the kid it was ok, I wasn't going to kill him, just relax.

Sorry DarkStar50, not trying to start an argument but I really like Spence4101's idea

NP, we already state that on the sign. The fitting fee is credited towards your purchase if you decide to come back and buy the skates from the shop.

Kid came in needing an end plug with his girlfriend....

Hey buddy, can you make my stick bigger? My GF doesn't know how to. ...she slapped him.

Thought it was pretty fun.

Also yesterday had a mom bring me in a gatorade, just cuz. Thought it was really nice of her.

Kid came in needing an end plug with his girlfriend....

Hey buddy, can you make my stick bigger? My GF doesn't know how to. ...she slapped him.

Thought it was pretty fun.

Also yesterday had a mom bring me in a gatorade, just cuz. Thought it was really nice of her.

That's awesome. It would take all I had to not laugh right in his GF's face.

At least for me the LHS *is* the huge online retailer :P

I've used a LHS for fitting before - but I would absolutely not waste an employees time if I knew I wasn't buying. That holds true for me at ANY store, not just hockey. Unless I know I actually plan to buy, when asked if I need help I always say "no thanks, just browsing".

However, usually if I don't buy its because either:

a) I'm researching what i like, what fits, etc. and will probably come back another day to buy or

b) I don't have the money and therefore wont be buying online, either.

Though, in contrast to all that, I'm a pretty bad window shopper. I'll spend an hour in the LHS just looking at stuff, just because I enjoy looking at it all. As I said, I make sure to not waste anyones time.

Finally, I will say that I absolutely agree with a fitting fee for skates (if somebody helps you with them, that is... if im just doing research on fitment of various brands/models, its another story).

Hopefully I don't sound too much like a d*ck... not meaning to. I respect those guys who help me :)

Someone in your district likes making up his own rules.

Our league has its own set of rules, and simply says "anything not covered here falls back to USA Hockey rules".

They do specify the "old-style jofa helmets" to not be allowed, though. I don't wear one so I couldn't care less ;)

The best thing any LHS owner/worker can do is if they know that a person is only using them as a fitting service, to give as little time to them as possible

i disagree. i understand that what happened in that instance is offensive to shop owners who invest a lot of time and money to run a store, but a business that wants sustainability finds reasons to get the customer to buy from them, not reasons not to.

Here in the Uk there's not a ton of choice for where to shop but I know the guy who runs our LHS well and I always get great service when I'm in there. Running our university hockey team I deal with loads of guy needing new kit and asking where to get it, I could tell them go online but always send them to the store and the guy happily gives the team a bit of discountt. He's also been great at getting me a goal stick in which had seemed impossible to get hold of.

It was a Bauer x50 and as I was in the States I stopped off in Pure Hockey, they had the stick in stock and I went to pay cash, asked if they had a box or at least a bag I could put it in at which stage the guy told me he wouldn't sell it me (putting my accent and the box together) figuring I was going to break Bauers no shipping rule said it wasn't allowed! So as much as I love my LHS I had to pay £200 for a $100 stick and it was a special order which no where in the country stocked anyway sthey weren't "protecting local dealers" as I've been toldd is the reason for Bauers rule so anyway if I'm ever back in that area I won't be buying anything from them (Mainly cause they don't seem to want to let me!)

I had a customer come in and try on some Authentic On-Ice NHL Jerseys. After helping him for a bit he said he just wanted to know his size because his buddy imports them "direct" from Reebok for cheap. Hahahaha.....

I had a customer come in and try on some Authentic On-Ice NHL Jerseys. After helping him for a bit he said he just wanted to know his size because his buddy imports them "direct" from Reebok for cheap. Hahahaha.....

thats great. Gotta love when someone makes it sound like they are getting a 1UP on you.

i disagree. i understand that what happened in that instance is offensive to shop owners who invest a lot of time and money to run a store, but a business that wants sustainability finds reasons to get the customer to buy from them, not reasons not to.

Each situation is different, you must go into each one with an open mind, aiming for the sale obviously. But if it becomes very apparent that the customer has no intention of buying and will not heed advice, then you shouldn't spend anymore unnecessary time with them when you could be helping someone else.

this guy isnt getting a jersey then. hahaha

Thinks he's getting one of these:

Chicago%20Blackhawks%2081%20Marian%20Hossa%20Authentic%20Red%20Home%20NHL%20Jersey.jpg

But is really getting this:

Chicago-Blackhawks-jerseys-2C-2381-Hossa-Red-Jersey-5239-85542.jpg

Those things are actually illegal. Contact rep and odds are the site will get shut down pretty quickly. They take fake jerseys super seriously. People who import them, even if they aren't distributing them and just buying one for themselves, can be in deep mud.

Those things are actually illegal. Contact rep and odds are the site will get shut down pretty quickly. They take fake jerseys super seriously. People who import them, even if they aren't distributing them and just buying one for themselves, can be in deep mud.

guy who works at the post office says they have the right to open those packages and seize them at will. With the FBI knocking on your door if you are receiving multiples

The site is most likely in China anyways and they can't do anything about it.

They do something about it... earlier this year we contacted them and site was offline within 8 hours. Site was definitely from China.

Well I don't know but there's certain sites that sell counterfeit everything from electronics to jerseys and they're fine...