Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

Wow that is very messed up, same thing happened with me looking for a Total One and they said they had them for $169 which I thought was a good deal, and I specified I wanted Pro Flex.

I get to the shop and turns out he was looking at the Jr size sticks, and was some kid covering for the owner's son.

I don't get why this is so hard to do.

You've gotta realize. First he has to walk ALL THE WAY to the section. Then, he has to remember what you want. If he doesn't, repeat #1. Then he has to read. Then walk back to the phone and hope he doesn't forget what he just read. If he forgets, the whole thing starts over. Its a messy process. :mad:

I don't even bother calling the bigger LHS's anymore because the info is never reliable.

You've gotta realize. First he has to walk ALL THE WAY to the section. Then, he has to remember what you want. If he doesn't, repeat #1. Then he has to read. Then walk back to the phone and hope he doesn't forget what he just read. If he forgets, the whole thing starts over. Its a messy process. :mad:

I don't even bother calling the bigger LHS's anymore because the info is never reliable.

These days its so much easier with cordless phones. Just plain lazy.

When people get pissed off because we're closed for Inventory (a whole 2 days out of the year), it's stuff like this I point to.

Sometimes, people check their stock with their POS system and it tells them they are in stock. In reality, they are sold out, but a tagging/receiving error screws up the count.

when people are beyond rude, I find that smiling back at them really upsets them.....because then they really don't know what you're thinking........

DEFINITELY trying this one out haha :biggrin:

Then as they continue to get more pissed off when you smile at them, they say, "What, do you think this is funny?" (Usually because it's something like a broken OPS they think should be replaced immediately by you even though when you sold it to them you carefully explained the 30 day warranty direct return as you handed them two sales receipts, one with the sticker and the other to keep for their records). Of course, just keep smiling and keep your mouth shut. By now, they usually have captured an audience in the shop and look like a complete a**hole. The joys of retail and dealing with the customer.

I locked up the shop the other night and went to the bathroom down the hall from the shop, on my way out a guy was holding his skates pushing on the door (remember folks, lights are off and door is locked, hours are also posted on the door) he sees me turns and asks "did you guys close for the night?" I said "Yeah we did sir, about 20 minutes ago." He looks at me a bit confused and says, "So you can't sharpen my skates?"

Why do people think when the door is locked we're still open? Does anyone else have this happen? It's not like we're trying to play a cruel joke on our customers, but when we lock the door at 8 (shop is open until 8) to count out and clean up it usually means we're closed, not that we don't want to help you.

We've now started to tell people over the phone we close half a hour earlier then the actual time the door gets locked so those people that think close at 8 means come at 8 come half a hour before we close to browse and shop.

You don't have to do that. Just tell them you stop sharpening 30 minutes before closing. Signage may help too...that way you condition your customers to come in a bit earlier.

Way my shop does it is that they 'close' at 7 but have stayed as open as 10 to keep the tyre kickers at bay.

When the store is 'closed' is the best time to sharpen skates and let serious buyers shop.

I guess they don't want to make money. While you're kicking out the tire-kickers, there are legitimate customers you're alienating by doing that.

In a similar vein, re: tire kickers vs. legit customers, I've got a question, just as a curiosity for LHS workers/owners. When I go in to make small purchases at my LHS (like tape, wax, pucks, socks, etc.), if I have some spare time, I enjoy cruising around, trying on gloves, picking up sticks (though not flexing them), etc., even though I'm not going to buy them at that point in time, I'm there for other minor things. I make sure not to take up the time of any sales people, never try on skates, etc., but could easily spend 15 mins or so just checking out what's new in the gear world for fun/curiosity/window shopping before buying whatever I'm there for. Is this considered an annoyance/bad form, or totally fine? I make my big purchases at these same few LHSs, but just less often obviously, I need new tape/wax/pucks/socks/underarmour/end plugs/etc. more often than I need new sticks, skates, etc.

Edited by ponder

You don't have to do that. Just tell them you stop sharpening 30 minutes before closing. Signage may help too...that way you condition your customers to come in a bit earlier.

We have bright signs with contrasting colors at eye level for most customers located on the door, in the window, and the side door of the shop (outside the rink) Most customers who ask what time we are open until will follow with "so you sharpen up until then?" At which point we will just say yes.

In a similar vein, re: tire kickers vs. legit customers, I've got a question, just as a curiosity for LHS workers/owners. When I go in to make small purchases at my LHS (like tape, wax, pucks, socks, etc.), if I have some spare time, I enjoy cruising around, trying on gloves, picking up sticks (though not flexing them), etc., even though I'm not going to buy them at that point in time, I'm there for other minor things. I make sure not to take up the time of any sales people, never try on skates, etc., but could easily spend 15 mins or so just checking out what's new in the gear world for fun/curiosity/window shopping before buying whatever I'm there for. Is this considered an annoyance/bad form, or totally fine? I make my big purchases at these same few LHSs, but just less often obviously, I need new tape/wax/pucks/socks/underarmour/end plugs/etc. more often than I need new sticks, skates, etc.

That doesn't bother me; the stuff is out there. I mean, now when you've organized a glove wall a certain way and every glove is placed the same way and you take one and put them the wrong way...I always shake my head at that. LOL

But no, the worst is when you spend 45 minutes fitting someone for multiple skates, and they're just browsing...that does get annoying. But every person who walks in that store is a potential sale. After a while, you are able to figure out who's serious and who's not.

I thought we were the only "bad guys" who did that! When customers call we tell them the time we close and that we stop sharpening 30 minutes before closing. We usually are taking care of the next day sharpenings in that last 30 minutes anyway. The beer league guys never ever figure it out though.

That doesn't bother me; the stuff is out there. I mean, now when you've organized a glove wall a certain way and every glove is placed the same way and you take one and put them the wrong way...I always shake my head at that. LOL

But no, the worst is when you spend 45 minutes fitting someone for multiple skates, and they're just browsing...that does get annoying. But every person who walks in that store is a potential sale. After a while, you are able to figure out who's serious and who's not.

+1 on both those comments.

I feel bad when doing research. I mean, I have two LHS's near me, and neither of them has the best selection of skates. So I can pretty much guarantee I won't be buying skates immediately, though I very well may or may not come back after I've checked out the other store (and possibly going home to sleep on it, researching other models that neither store had, etc etc). This is why I don't mind paying a fitting fee, so I don't feel bad walking out after using up 45 minutes of their time. I know it drives the LHS workers nuts, but honestly, I'm not meaning to look like a dick :(

I remember once in NY when a guy kept coming in 5 minutes before closing and getting pissed because we wouldn't sharpen his skates. Each time we informed him we stopped sharpening 15 minutes before closing. "But this happens every week!"....Yes....so, come earlier?

ponder

- i have no problem with a guy coming in and browsing, even shooting the crap and asking a few questions. It's when people are intentionally deceptive in their motives that is a problem. If I've answered somebody's questions for 20 minutes when they say they are looking to buy and then they comeback and go, "Well, I found it online for $10 less", then I get annoyed. If somebody says, "Hey just wasting time, but I was wondering what the hell 'Dagger Taper' means" then, I'm fine with that.

I guess they don't want to make money. While you're kicking out the tire-kickers, there are legitimate customers you're alienating by doing that.

all the mommy's and daddy's already bought their sons equipment before dinner time, most of the business after 7 comes from people whining about needing their skates sharpened that very moment and we have a drop box for the regulars as usual. If someone really wants to buy something they can ask the front desk who can help them as long as they know what they want. There has never been a skate fitting at night nor has someone had a hole burning in their pocket. We actually lost money by theft since it's hard to find someone willing to cover the shop.

Last thing a shop needs is a tyre kicker flexing sticks and mix/matching gloves when they aren't buying anything.

Working retail for many years at an electronic chain, never has a person come in at 9 pm looking to buy a big ticket item, and when we hold sales most people come during the day.

I'm sure your shop works different, and it's not that we turn away customers, sometimes we do have someone who comes in looking for gloves for themselves or someone visiting and bored, but it isn't my business decision and I have to respect it.

all the mommy's and daddy's already bought their sons equipment before dinner time, most of the business after 7 comes from people whining about needing their skates sharpened that very moment and we have a drop box for the regulars as usual. If someone really wants to buy something they can ask the front desk who can help them as long as they know what they want. There has never been a skate fitting at night nor has someone had a hole burning in their pocket. We actually lost money by theft since it's hard to find someone willing to cover the shop.

Last thing a shop needs is a tyre kicker flexing sticks and mix/matching gloves when they aren't buying anything.

Working retail for many years at an electronic chain, never has a person come in at 9 pm looking to buy a big ticket item, and when we hold sales most people come during the day.

I'm sure your shop works different, and it's not that we turn away customers, sometimes we do have someone who comes in looking for gloves for themselves or someone visiting and bored, but it isn't my business decision and I have to respect it.

Great attitude. Those of us that work odd hours or later than 7:00PM never go into a store after work to buy something. Clearly when we bring in a pair of skates for sharpening and ask if we can pick them up the next day we're whining. Obviously those that don't work 9:00 -5:00 don't want to stop in, see what's new, and decide if we can justify the expense of new gloves even though we could get another season out of ours.

We never come in and want to spend a few minutes getting fitted after our shift when we don't have to worry about competing for time before work when we're worried about making it there on time.

One of my teams is made up almost entirely of fireman, EMTs, and Airforce folks. All work odd hours and would shop off hours if possible.

Bad attitudes and crappy service by uncaring and unhappy staff is causing LHS's to lose business. Why should we deal with these hassles when we can make a couple mouse clicks and get something delivered right to the door?

I prefer going to a good shop and buying. I miss greatly going into the shop and getting some expert commentary and advice about new gear. If that's not available I'm not supporting folks with bad attitudes that treat folks like they're doing me a favor by speaking to me.

Want to keep losing business to on-line stores, keep up the attitude. Want to win it back? provide something they can't... excellent service. I refuse to buy locally due to poor service. I do make the 4 hour one way trip to St Louis for big ticket items and order on-line little items strictly and solely due to poor service and bad attitudes. I've come back with $2000 in sticks ordered by my team mates because they feel the same.

Yup we could have bought them here but not going to because of the attitudes. All the stores have essentially the same gear, you'll get the sales by having a better customer experience. Most folks I know will pay a couple extra bucks for that.

The big-box store analogy is hogwash. Well then again, what do I know? I've run hockey retail stores for a long time.

You won't get the skate fittings, but you will sell sticks and gloves last-minute.

In all of my years, I've found that being there til the last ice starts and stopping sharpening services 30 min prior to it works out just fine.

Sold a stick last weekend, it was paid for, and I cut it down for the kid.

As the kid is walking out of the store, he does a double take, and notices that it was a lefty... He's a righty.

I cut 1 inch off the stick, so I decided to just exchange it for a righty so the dad doesn't have to spend another 100 dollars. He was extremely grateful, and even though he buys probably half of his gear from us, he swore that every thing his kid needed it would be from us from now on (the kid is 9, so that's another 10 years of sales :) )

I figured at worst I'll eat 20 bucks off this stick - worth it IMO to getting a customer for life. As luck has it, I get a call asking if we had so and so in stock, and that if we have a saw on hand as this kid is short.

Was perfect for them. Everything went better then expected. :) Maybe I need to buy a lotto ticket haha.

The big-box store analogy is hogwash. Well then again, what do I know? I've run hockey retail stores for a long time.

You won't get the skate fittings, but you will sell sticks and gloves last-minute.

In all of my years, I've found that being there til the last ice starts and stopping sharpening services 30 min prior to it works out just fine.

Agreed, on all accounts.

Good to know a little "window shopping" type looking around (at bigger items, when buying smaller items) is no biggie, and I definitely make sure to just keep to myself while doing so, not wasting anyone's time. I'd feel like quite a dbag using a shop as a fitting service for skates only to buy them online, but definitely not surprised it happens, a lot of people have no shame.

Also, agreed on good service being key, there are a lot of hockey shops in Vancouver, the one I always try to go to is actually one of the furthest from me (takes over an hour to get their by public transit), but I always try to make the trip because their service (and their selection) is excellent. Shops full of snobs and/or ignorant kids on cell phones get my business once, at most, and only for small ticket items, but the quality shops get my business again and again. It's a bit different in Canada though, there are essentially no budget online retailers here, so no reason to order online, and once you know you're going to a brick and mortar shop, may as well go to a good one.

Edited by ponder