Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

I'm not sure if you guys already know this or not, but the 2nd round pick is for next year, the 3rd round pick is for 2010. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal, except for Schneider's huge contract.

Habs get a conditional pick from ATL as well....pending playoff success.

Yeah I heard it's either a 3rd or a 5th rounder depending on how deep they go on the playoffs. Wonder what ATL will do with their newfound cap space? Look for another trade, or save it for post season resignings?

Komi/Markov

Scheinder/Hamr

Gorges/Dandy

Brisebois/Boullion

It actually looks pretty good to me.

O'Byrne back to Hamilton to clear the roster spot for Mathieu.

Hopefully they can get rid of Brisebois, but this is probably going to be his last year.

Sergei Kostitsyn has been sent to Hamilton & Kovalev has been given 'time off' by BG:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=267501&lid...=headlines_main

*sniff sniff* I smell something before Mar 4th.

Do you think that Kovy is going to be moved? Personal feelings aside, I don't see much market for a high priced, under-performing skater with a questionable work ethic. One idea that I think would make sense is to Pittsburgh, maybe for Satan+.

Sergei Kostitsyn has been sent to Hamilton & Kovalev has been given 'time off' by BG:

Do you think that Kovy is going to be moved? Personal feelings aside, I don't see much market for a high priced, under-performing skater with a questionable work ethic. One idea that I think would make sense is to Pittsburgh, maybe for Satan+.

Regardless of market value or what they get...him leaving may just be a good thing. Keep in mind they traded a non-roster player (who never really panned out at the NHL level) for him. So, basically anything in the 1-3 rounder range will be a decent ROI.

I don't think the room is as segmented or cliquey (sp?) as it was in the Theo/Ribs/Dagenais versus everyone days....but having Koivu back in charge of the room is probably a good thing.

Regardless of market value or what they get...him leaving may just be a good thing. Keep in mind they traded a non-roster player (who never really panned out at the NHL level) for him. So, basically anything in the 1-3 rounder range will be a decent ROI.

I don't think the room is as segmented or cliquey (sp?) as it was in the Theo/Ribs/Dagenais versus everyone days....but having Koivu back in charge of the room is probably a good thing.

Thats a good point- him leaving may be one of those addition by subtraction things. If they can get picks/prospects for him they could be packaged for someone else (Vinnie). You'd have to think that if that was Gainey's goal Kovalev would be traded this week so that he can get everything in place for March 4.

Thats a good point- him leaving may be one of those addition by subtraction things. If they can get picks/prospects for him they could be packaged for someone else (Vinnie). You'd have to think that if that was Gainey's goal Kovalev would be traded this week so that he can get everything in place for March 4.

If he chooses to actually play again this year, he's still an AWESOME talent...and I hope he goes to the West....cause I don't want the Habs to have to play him more than once next year.

Kovalev and addition by subtraction......now where have I heard that before?

Seriously, I don't think the Habs will get more than a bag of pucks for Kovalev now. The guy has a history of quitting in every city he has played in. If the Habs can get a third for him then they should take it and run because they would be stealing it.

Seriously, I don't think the Habs will get more than a bag of pucks for Kovalev now. The guy has a history of quitting in every city he has played in. If the Habs can get a third for him then they should take it and run because they would be stealing it.

They're crazy to trade him now as the return would be terrible and there is an off chance he may decide he wants to win once they get to the playoffs.

Kovalev is a really special player when he wants to be, I know it's been said a million times over and over, and yes it is ridiculous but when he plays like he can he's amazing. He just doesn't have it this year, last year when I watched games if he had that puck off the hashmarks I don't care who was in net you knew if he shot it was going in, now its like his first season in Mtl again...where is he, it's like he's not even on the ice. I would much rather him get his game back but who knows if that'll happen but him.

They're crazy to trade him now as the return would be terrible and there is an off chance he may decide he wants to win once they get to the playoffs.

The return will be better now than after the season. Somebody could be desperate for a scorer and believe that Kovalev might try when he got to their city. Personally, if his deal isn't over after this season then I smell buy-out.

Too bad Kovalevs work ethic is so bad because he has a ton of skill but does not put the enerygy in to show it off. Hopefully this little time off for him can hopefully be a bit of a wake up call.

Too bad Kovalevs work ethic is so bad because he has a ton of skill but does not put the enerygy in to show it off. Hopefully this little time off for him can hopefully be a bit of a wake up call.

I think the only 'wake up call' he's getting in the next couple weeks is :

"Mr. Kovalev, your cab to the airport is here"

Don't get me wrong...he's a crazy talent...I've rode the Kovy-coaster like all Habs fans and hoped for the best outcome. But I think once your GM has told you to stay home for 2 or 3 games....the writing is pretty much on the wall.

He's getting old too and he really lacks the skating speed to be efficient. Most of his dangles, while impressive, are stationary and lead to nothing. He's not a natural goal scorer either, has nothing to do with guys like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, St-Louis, true snipers. He regularly makes questionable plays/passes and, of course, shows no passion, determination, whatever you call it.

Now that i think about it he's not much of an impact player anymore (most of the time, at least). Honestly, i like the guy and the player but i think i've seen enough of Kovalev in the Habs uniform. The "Kovy has the puck" excitement i was referring to in the Perron thread has almost completely vanished. I sure won't shed a tear if they trade him.

Anybody hear anything about this big story that is supposed to break in Montreal tomorrow? I was browsing HFBoards and apparently something is being published in the papers tomorrow that will have serious consequences for the team. All I can think about is wondering if its connected to Kovalev saying the younger members partied too much. It seems like a lot of garbage comes from HFBoards, but it seems like this is coming from a legitimate source (990AM in Montreal I think).

the post game announcers from the pens game were talking about kovalev a bit - and they said that they talked to a team official or someone and that kovalev was joining in the team practice tomorrow and is expected to play.

they made it sound like now they have a week or two to evaluate him and if there is no improvement then they might deal him.

I am very scared about this road trip...

Mon Feb 9, 2009 Canadiens @ Flames ** L 6-2

Wed Feb 11, 2009 Canadiens @ Oilers ** L 7-2

Fri Feb 13, 2009 Canadiens @ Avalanche ** W 4-2

Sun Feb 15, 2009 Canadiens @ Canucks ** L 4-2

Wed Feb 18, 2009 Canadiens @ Capitals ** L 4-3 (SO)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 Canadiens @ Penguins ** L 5-4

If this is where..."the rubber meets the road" the Habs may look like a dead skunk in the middle of the road (...a little Loudon Wainwright for you) at the end of this.

So hopeful when the season started...so worried now.

** [EDIT]: Wow, that's off to a good start! :blink:

Normally but I wouldn't mind being right...but Cripes...that hurt.

Anybody hear anything about this big story that is supposed to break in Montreal tomorrow? I was browsing HFBoards and apparently something is being published in the papers tomorrow that will have serious consequences for the team. All I can think about is wondering if its connected to Kovalev saying the younger members partied too much. It seems like a lot of garbage comes from HFBoards, but it seems like this is coming from a legitimate source (990AM in Montreal I think).

Drugs, sexual assualt charges, prostitution ring is what Ive seen thrown around.

Drugs, sexual assualt charges, prostitution ring is what Ive seen thrown around.

:( Ah shit...I hope this is just tabloid shit and not the actual story.