Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

larrivee

2009-2010 Gear Sightings

It's definately not the same. When they added the new ring at the bottom of the cup, they added a new baseplate with the larger hall of fame logo.

They didn't add a new ring between '08 and '09.

Look at the Detroit picture....plenty of free space to stamp in names. Look at the Pittsburg picture....still plenty of space to stamp names.

It could be a different version of the stanley cup, or replica incase it does get damaged. Which is which I wouldn't know. Or they could have just changed the base plate. The small logo I think is a Canadian gov't code of arms, or somthing along those lines. I know it has somthing to do with the Canaidian gov't.

Looking at past pictures of guys lifting the cup it all has the smaller logo so it is probably just a change, maybe to appeal to hockey fans that arn't Canadian.

------------------------------------------------------

I was wrong about the code of arms...on the smaller one it says "Hockey Hall of Fame & Museum"

I think it is the same, just that the top picture doesn't catch it as well.

it is clearly not the same.

Sarcasm.

i have a hard time believing that's sarcasm.

Look at the Detroit picture....plenty of free space to stamp in names. Look at the Pittsburg picture....still plenty of space to stamp names.

04 was the last space of the old ring. So the new ring only has Carolina, Anaheim, Detroit and soon-to-be/newly added Pittsburgh

04 was the last space of the old ring. So the new ring only has Carolina, Anaheim, Detroit and soon-to-be/newly added Pittsburgh

Bettman also had them add an F you to players and owners on there for making them loose the season- The first inscription on that ring is 2004-2005 Season not played, which was added at the same time as the hurricanes were.

Kinda makes the hurricanes celebration pics cooler then most- the cup is completely full, and it creates a really cool looking texture on the entire cup.

Each band has 13 spots, and after they add the pens, there will be 5 taken, so this band will end in 2017.

It could be a different version of the stanley cup, or replica incase it does get damaged.

Im pretty sure when you win the cup, they give you the real one.

Bettman also had them add an F you to players and owners on there for making them loose the season- The first inscription on that ring is 2004-2005 Season not played, which was added at the same time as the hurricanes were.

Kinda makes the hurricanes celebration pics cooler then most- the cup is completely full, and it creates a really cool looking texture on the entire cup.

Each band has 13 spots, and after they add the pens, there will be 5 taken, so this band will end in 2017.

You mean the owners who all but 2 backed the lockout, those guys?

If there's no more lockouts. This CBA ends in 2011. Knock on wood ;)

If there is another, they would probably follow the precedent for the 04 season and mark it on the cup. But I'll hope for no more lockouts anyway. Shouldn't be, the giant elephant in the room last time has been dealt with in the cap.

It could be a different version of the stanley cup, or replica incase it does get damaged.

The real one is in the HHOF vault

All the cups now are replicas in some aspects and evolved from the original stanley cup

All the cups now are replicas in some aspects and evolved from the original stanley cup

i'd like to know your source, please.

Have you ever been to the HHOF? The original cup and the bands that have been removed are in the vault next to the large trophy room. The cup on display and the cup that goes out in public are not the original.

The original cup that was awarded by Fredrick Stanley, who I think was the head of state for Canada when under British control, is locked in the vault at the HHOF. It's essentially the bowl on the top of the current stanley cup(s) (which is like KryptOng and Chadd said are replicas of the original). The tradition of inscribing the names on the trophy was started way back when teams would carve their names into any available space on the original cup, mostly around the lip. There are also two stanley cups now. One has been deemed the "real" stanley cup and one is an exact replica, which goes on display when the "real" cup is being cleaned or is traveling around the country.

If there is another, they would probably follow the precedent for the 04 season and mark it on the cup. But I'll hope for no more lockouts anyway. Shouldn't be, the giant elephant in the room last time has been dealt with in the cap.

I think it will be very unlikely that there will be another lockout in 2011.

The original cup that was awarded by Fredrick Stanley, who I think was the head of state for Canada when under British control, is locked in the vault at the HHOF. It's essentially the bowl on the top of the current stanley cup(s) (which is like KryptOng and Chadd said are replicas of the original). The tradition of inscribing the names on the trophy was started way back when teams would carve their names into any available space on the original cup, mostly around the lip. There are also two stanley cups now. One has been deemed the "real" stanley cup and one is an exact replica, which goes on display when the "real" cup is being cleaned or is traveling around the country.

Not exactly an exact replica. The metal is a little different composition - the real one has 5% nickel to help durability. And by real, I mean the presentation cup, which is the current real cup. There is the original cup, the real cup, or the presentation cup, and the replica. The replica is all silver and has no errors on it. Also, only the presentation cup has the HHoF logo on the base (which yes, they did just update).

If it's just the bowl and neck, in a vault with flattened rings: original.

If it's the full cup, and has misspellings: Real cup, Presentation cup.

Full cup, no misspellings: Replica cup.

The HoF defines the real cup as the one presented to players on the ice. The old cup is the Original.

It could always be the same cup, just with the new HHOF logo on the bottom.

There are 3 stanley cups, only two have a bottom, and only one has the HHoF logo on the bottom. That one is the presentation cup, and yes, they did change the logo last year to the current HoF logo.

It could always be the same cup, just with the new HHOF logo on the bottom.

There are 3 stanley cups, only two have a bottom, and only one has the HHoF logo on the bottom. That one is the presentation cup, and yes, they did change the logo last year to the current HoF logo.

Yeah I was just talking about the ones pictured.

Yup - its true.

I saw it there as well. The Hall is a totally awesome place.

The bands are all authentic, but there have been some bands removed that are also in the vault. At least that's what I remember.

Feel free to bring this thread back on topic at any time guys.

hahaha. i had to scroll to the top because i forgot what the topic actually was.