Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

If the blade of your stick has a better in-game save percentage than your goalie, it's time to find a new goalie.

We were thinking of just dressing 6 guys. Actually our goalie is pretty solid. I just think most guys underestimate my reach and leave themselves too exposed to the poke check.

This isn't really a venting thing for me but MAN do I feel bad for my best friend. He has been going out with the same girl for like 3 years (pretty big deal in high school) and she dumps him 4 days before his birthday, but here is the real kicker.

You go and look at her facebook page and he news feed is says Ashley has gone from being in a relationship to single 2 minutes ago.

48 seconds ago Ashley is in a relationship with Grant.

She dumps my friend then goes out with another guy about a minute after wards. Some one was cheating.

We were thinking of just dressing 6 guys. Actually our goalie is pretty solid. I just think most guys underestimate my reach and leave themselves too exposed to the poke check.

Sorry mate - wasn't running down your goalie sight-unseen, just being a bit aphoristic about guys throwing their sticks in the shooting lane; it was a paraphrase of something a goalie coach once said to me in a moment of frustration.

Sorry mate - wasn't running down your goalie sight-unseen, just being a bit aphoristic about guys throwing their sticks in the shooting lane; it was a paraphrase of something a goalie coach once said to me in a moment of frustration.

No need to apologise, I thought it was pretty funny.

This isn't really a venting thing for me but MAN do I feel bad for my best friend. He has been going out with the same girl for like 3 years (pretty big deal in high school) and she dumps him 4 days before his birthday, but here is the real kicker.

You go and look at her facebook page and he news feed is says Ashley has gone from being in a relationship to single 2 minutes ago.

She dumps my friend then goes out with another guy about a minute after wards. Some one was cheating.

I also think this is a poor reflection of our society in general...that she dumps the dude then updates her FB right away. Enough with the G.D. Facebook already (I'm not a user if you can't tell).

She does have a long way to go to catch the clown that updated his profile at the altar. On a side note, what are the odds that a guy like that would rather be on the computer than consummate the marriage....hmmmm.

Sorry for the tangent...sucks for your buddy.

It is high school. Girls don't dump the last guy until they've met the next guy.

$500 LCD TV lasted about 20 months before it died. Damn you, no-name brand that went out of business last year.

On the plus side, going to get a bigger and better TV :D

I also think this is a poor reflection of our society in general...that she dumps the dude then updates her FB right away. Enough with the G.D. Facebook already (I'm not a user if you can't tell).

She does have a long way to go to catch the clown that updated his profile at the altar. On a side note, what are the odds that a guy like that would rather be on the computer than consummate the marriage....hmmmm.

Sorry for the tangent...sucks for your buddy.

I'm with you. I'm a little tired of this constantly connected society that knows what everyone else is doing always. Society is going to hell, and it's reflected in how people treat each other (because no one is out their interacting - at least that looks like the way things are going)

...he says on an internet forum!

That's one reason I'm getting my kid into sports and other real life activities. It's just way too easy to depersonalize the world.

That's one reason I'm getting my kid into sports and other real life activities. It's just way too easy to depersonalize the world.

I know :facepalm: I realized that as I was typing it. I work in front of a computer but once I leave here I'm done with it. I don't bring my laptop out at home ever, and my girlfriend only uses it occasionally so it spends most of it's time in the closet. Hence why I only post between 9-5 usually lol

I always throw my blade in front of the shot, but its usually cause i can either poke the puck away before the shot or hold the puck in place when they shoot. I probably should re think it though as it is pretty easy to deflect it in a weird way on net.

personally i think thats an ok move. seems like the closer you are to the puck when its shot, the less likely it is that it will go anywhere close to the net. its when you're a good distance away and you put a stick on it that you're gonna be in trouble.

dan used to give me some serious looks of death when i'd accidently redirect a shot on him.

i stay right away from the social networking sites. not only do i believe that no one really cares about my current mood, but the last thing i need is some ex from high school popping back into my life. if we're truly "friends" we'll communicate in person.

Edited by shotty

Good for you...too many parents drop their kids in front of the TV or Video games.

Actually I think going on a site to discuss things you're interested in is fine; going on FB, Twitter, etc is also fine...in moderation.

The world doesn't need to know if you had corn in your poo or whether the rash on your junk is going to clear up. In the immortal words of Michael Scott "TMI", "I used to say don't go there but that's just...lame"

Whew I feel better...

Law, I thought of you last Friday after I deflected a shot past my own net...in the future I'm really going to try not to block shots w/ my stick. Hopefully there's a group available for this b/c I do it quite often!

Bucky, your goalie will hate you for an hour for that one tip, and love you forever if you follow through on that promise. :D

I actually make a point of praising my D more for "letting me see the shot" (which includes boxing guys out as much as staying the hell out of the way) than for blocking shots.

personally i think thats an ok move. seems like the closer you are to the puck when its shot, the less likely it is that it will go anywhere close to the net. its when you're a good distance away and you put a stick on it that you're gonna be in trouble.

dan used to give me some serious looks of death when i'd accidently redirect a shot on him.

The problem is that there are three ways that throwing your stick in the lane can go wrong, and only one way it can go right.

If you do deflect the shot away from the net, great - that's the one good outcome; the problem is that your goalie probably has no idea where the puck is after you tip it, and could be completely off-angle if it gets thrown back on net quickly (the first bad). The other options are, of course, tipping the puck on net (disastrous), but almost as bad is the chance that if you throw your stick in and *don't* make contact with the puck, you may actually screen the puck from your goalie - partially or entirely - at the most crucial moment of the shooter's release.

More to the point, the efficient difference between those outcomes is so small that the defender basically has zero control over it.

There was some very good research done on this in Calgary, the conclusion of which was that if an elite goalie's visual attachment to the puck is disrupted in the final half-second (roughly) before the shot, the goalie's save percentage will drop from about .900 to around .750 - which is more or less the difference between an effective goalie and a dangerously poor one at any given level.

Personally, all but three of the goals I've allowed since the new year could be put down to this problem, or similar problems of D playing off the stick-blade instead of the body, and screening me with their legs. In that same period, it's probably about a 2:1 ratio of blocked shots to goals created, which sounds pretty good until you compare it to a save percentage of .900 - and much worse when looking at the roughly 1:2 ratio of blocked shots to dangerous scoring chances created.

/rant

Let it not be said I'm thoughtlessly critical. I completely understand the stick-in-the-release impulse - the D want to be involved, they want to *do something* to help out. It just happens that this is the least helpful thing you could possibly be doing as a defender, short of banking the puck in off my leg, two-handing me across the side of the head, or throwing a guy on top of me as I'm freezing the puck to blow out my knee ligaments. It would actually be more helpful to stop dead in your tracks and take a giant dump on the ice, right then and there, than to throw your stick in front of the release; at least the steaming turd would discourage the trailer from hunting rebounds.

The last time I was in front of a goalie, playing D (which doesn't happen often)...I hear: "Mattie...don't stand there, I can't see..." I move a foot to the right so he could see the shooter...and the guy blew it right by him blocker side from mid faceoff circle.

Goalies response as he fished it out of the net...?: "I shoulda left you there...it would have hit you in the nuts!"

my father just got called from a 775 area code, from reno nevada, with what seemed to be an army leuitenant who's name could not be said, I'm guessing at the spelling, on the line. He claimed to have been following my uncle's helicopter when it "hit a powerline", close to area 51. He said that my uncle had been in communications with my family outside of reno, before the flight occured that afternoon. Corby said that mike used some code words that were not to be used outside of the base, as they were secret projects. So my uncle's aircraft hadthe controls hacked into by the commanding officer and the heli crashed into the power lines. BTW, my uncle worked for the security service that secured the area 51, and slept on base with the officers. So hopefully, there's some closure into his life. Now we need to crack the code to nlock his computer which was sent to my father with his belongings. There's some kind of family tree on there that he told my dad about.

There's venting, and there's stuff like that. An internet forum is probably not the best place to put something of that nature, ndlancer.

That said, my condolences.

I agree with you guys about the whole society being too plugged in, I am as guilty as anyone and then some as well. But I blame all the insane stories and beautiful gear on here.

There's venting, and there's stuff like that. An internet forum is probably not the best place to put something of that nature, ndlancer.

That said, my condolences.

Thanks to the mod who deleted the deuchbaggery for a lack of a better word and thanks for the condolences . I agree now krev that I probably shouldn't have posted that here but I needed to vent. I had my 2 hours with no worries on the ice and now I have to live the real world.

WOW speaking of being plugged in and learning to separate the real world and damn Facebook.

Some kids (I knew 2 of the 3) came into MY driveway with baseball bats, and they took 2 hits with the butt end to the back of my car, and swung at it in the front right bumper region!

Luckily a friend was with me at home along with my cousin and we scared them off. All over a dumb facebook conversation sparked by the incident earlier.

Well I know I am not going to go back after them seeing as I have proof through facebook and picture that I will be bringing to the police tomorrow.

Atleast he knows who to "deal with" if thats what he feels is necessary or is pissed as I'm sure he is. But honestly that is a pretty crappy situation for your buddy.

Come out of work last night and the window of my truck was smashed out. Thankfully, I was driving my beater truck (97 F-150) yesterday. They didn't get anything but the ride home was a little chilly last night.