Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Bauer RE-AKT Helmet Initial Thoughts/Teardown

How does the RE-AKT combo compare to the new IMS 9.0 combo? I hear the helmet is exactly the same minus the inside patting, but how about the cage? is the re-akt heavier or practically the same as the IMS?

Can anyone compare it to the Bauer hh8000 is the helmets fitting shape similar? My 8000 now fits near perfect and I'm lucky it has been my only helmet and I never had a fitting problem with it.

very tough to compare helmet fits because of the necessity for a near perfect fit and that everyone's different. if you were to visually inspect both, you should find that the reakt looks narrower and deeper. any luck in finding the 8500?

Interesting, I had no issues.

What's your head size, Optimus? I ordered all equipment online, with some help, and most everything is spot on. I am 23.5 in head size, and went with Medium Re-Akt. According to the sizing, I think I ought to have gone L (HockeyMonkey and IceWarehouse said M went up to 60 cm; but the helmet itself says it goes up to 59.5 cm, I just learned, upon receiving it). I opted for M because I had heard that the L is huge, and according to published info, I could have gone either way. Turns out, I ought to have gone Large, at least according to what I am figuring out.

I know I'm not Optimus, but my head size is also 23.5 inches around. I don't own a RE-AKT, but had the opportunity to demo a large at last years SJ and have tried on the medium. I demoed the large because I wanted to use a cage and needed the large cage. After I adjusted the large the best I could there was some pressure at the front and gaps elsewhere - the cage fit well though. The medium at the store didn't leave gaps and was quite comfortable - so for my head/face I think I'd need a medium RE-AKT helmet and a large cage.

Of course just because our heads are both 23.5 inches around doesn't mean they're shaped exactly the same, but that was my experience.

I currently use a large Cascade M11 to play and a large Mission Carbster to ref and have always used large helmets. The medium does seem to be the right fit for my head with the RE-AKT though.

I know I'm not Optimus, but y head size is also 23.5 inches around. I don't own a RE-AKT, but had the opportunity to demo a large at last years SJ and have tried on the medium. I demoed the large because I wanted to use a cage and needed the large cage. After I adjusted the large the best I could there was some pressure at the front and gaps elsewhere - the cage fit well though. The medium at the store didn't leave gaps and was quite comfortable - so for my head/face I think I'd need a medium RE-AKT helmet and a large cage.

Of course just because our heads are both 23.5 inches around doesn't mean they're shaped exactly the same, but that was my experience.

I currently use a large Cascade M11 to play and a large Mission Carbster to ref and have always used large helmets. The medium does seem to be the right fit for my head with the RE-AKT though.

I think that is where I am at with this- I can make the Medium helmet fit well enough, but will need to look into a bigger cage. Thanks althoma.

I think that is where I am at with this- I can make the Medium helmet fit well enough, but will need to look into a bigger cage. Thanks althoma.

No problem. Glad to help. I think a lot of people who are at the top end of the medium helmet sizing would need a large cage.

My head is shaped like Zinadine Zidane. A bunch of people say I look like him. Sometimes when I walk down the street, the locals here yell "Zidane." So, I guess my head is sort of recangular- long/ narrow, not really round.

I understand that different helmets today (CCM/ Reebok/ Easton, etc.) are geared to fit different head sizes. Last time I played hockey (1988 and 1996), the main 2 helmets were CCM (most pros wore this- Bossy, Coffey, Federov, etc.) and Cooper (like the one Messier wore, and Mario Lemieux wore this early in his career). There were Jofas too, but more pros wore them than people that I played with. I wore the CCM in 1998 (when I was 12), and the Cooper in 1996 (when I was 19). I preferred the Cooper, even though it seemed more roundish, and the CCM seemed more narrow.

I got a new Re-Akt helmet. In some helmets i'm a large but with this one i went medium. It's the best helmet i've ever owned. The fit is excellent, no pressure points, no discomfort, and it's pretty light.

I got it with the titanium mask and that's freaking great too. It was either this helmet or the ridiculously light easton helmet. I went with this because of comfort though i did love how light the easton was.

I am actually liking this helmet now. It was initially too round for my head, so I just contoured it a bit by taping it in to make it more like a football and less like a soccer ball (to mold the plastic a bit to contour to my Zidane like skull). I suppose I may have been better suited for a longer, more narrow helmet, but I did not realize what the longer/more narrow ones were when I bought this. I am still not sure, I assume CCM makes a longer/ more narrow helmet?

Anyway, I slept with all of my newly purchased equipment the other night, and made it about 3-4 hours until it started to bother me, so I think I will be good for 2 hour ice sessions. I lasted I think about 5 hours with the helmet on. The first items to peel off were the shins (I strapped them too tightly, I guess, so the pressure woke me up). I made it through to the morning with the CL shoulders and pants :)

I am actually liking this helmet now. It was initially too round for my head, so I just contoured it a bit by taping it in to make it more like a football and less like a soccer ball (to mold the plastic a bit to contour to my Zidane like skull). I suppose I may have been better suited for a longer, more narrow helmet, but I did not realize what the longer/more narrow ones were when I bought this. I am still not sure, I assume CCM makes a longer/ more narrow helmet?

Anyway, I slept with all of my newly purchased equipment the other night, and made it about 3-4 hours until it started to bother me, so I think I will be good for 2 hour ice sessions. I lasted I think about 5 hours with the helmet on. The first items to peel off were the shins (I strapped them too tightly, I guess, so the pressure woke me up). I made it through to the morning with the CL shoulders and pants :)

Any particular reason why?

I just wanted to see where (if any) the pressure points would come up, what needed adjustments. Also, just wanted to break the stuff in a bit. I figure if I lay on the stuff, then it will contour to my body a bit. Once I wear it on the ice and get it all sweated up (tonite), then I won't be utilizing this technique anymore, obviously. I just did not want something somewhere being an annoyance, and needing to stop in the middle of playing, get all undone and undressed, and then have to suit back up. Just a nuisance, ya know?

Or do you mean, why did the equipment start to bother me after 3-4 hours? I think it started bothering me just because the straps were too tight in certain places. It reminded me of the few times I went camping. I always sleep well for 3-4 hours, and then the sand in the bag, or the birds or whatever, start to bother me and I cannot sleep anymore.

A lot of guys on here definitely fetishize certain types of equipment, but taking it to bed with you is certainly a new level.

No one has ever accused me of being normal, in just about any aspect of life, for near my entire life. I ought be no different in this matter, I suppose. To me, everything I do, makes perfect sense. But yea, to those observing, they query the thought patterns (which usually work perfectly fine for me). And for the record, I do not TRY to be different or weird or anything, I'm just being me. I never got any eyebrow pierce or tattoos and I do not dye my hair green or pink. I do my best to go unnoticed, but yea, the things that I enjoy, or things that seem like good ideas, typically only seem like good ideas to yours truly. Even when I was consuming 5-7 different narcotic substances daily, for years, I tried to do it quietly, usually in my or friend's homes, outside of view of policy enforcement agents and those who would denigrate my choice to consume said chosen concoctions that facilitated my exploration of consciousness. So yes, sleeping in my equipment seemed a perfectly reasonable idea, subsequently, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Can't do it anymore though. because it now has been all sweated up, but yea, it was part of a brilliant process of becoming one with the armor.

Being "out of one's mind" is a rather liberating experience, if one can handle it. But it does look odd to "normal" observers. I think that I do rather well with it HAHA.

Hey guys, hope this is the right place to post this. I've been a reader but not a poster until today so I don't know if this is the best place to ask this...

Anyway, all of you RE-AKT owners must be familiar with the fact that the memory foam 'floating' temple pads are quite small. For myself, a medium RE-AKT on the biggest setting fits perfect most of the time, but the large set to smallest fits just as well, except the temple pads are not in contact with my head, so it rocks from side to side (not majorly but enough to warrant a solution). The reason I prefer the large is because in my mind since it's a bigger shell, it would protect more of my head and leave less exposed, thus less of a chance of being injured.

Getting to the point, I've noticed that Dan Hamhuis from the Canucks has bigger temple pads, as seen here: http://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news-photo/dan-hamhuis-of-the-vancouver-canucks-looks-on-from-the-news-photo/462636337. I'm wondering if anyone on this board would know what or how this was modded as I'd like to make a similar modification.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post :ohmy:

If the temple pads aren't in contact with your head, its not protective. The notion that its a bigger shell therefore it protects better makes no sense. You wouldn't put a helmet too big on your kid.

I am sort of in the same boat, I can wear medium and large. I went with the large because I had more of those on my shelf and the medium was almost too tight.

If the medium fits perfect, go with that.

The temple pads my guess are large temple pads on a medium helmet.

Thanks for the help.

What I meant is that the shell would cover more of my head and assuming if fit just as well as the medium, it would protect me more.

I still think that Hamhuis' temple pads are something custom and not from the RE-AKT line.

From your description, it does not fit "just as well", so it would be difficult for it to protect you just as well, let alone more.

All I meant is the rest of the helmet fit just as well.

I think I'll go with your suggestions and get the medium instead and thanks for all the help guys :rolleyes:

I tried the Re-akt last weekend and the Medium it fitted me very well. Just wanted to know how easy it is to remove the ear covers? I did not have time in the shop to look at it closer. I see JR cut them of. I hate ear covers and always get rid of them. Thanks.

Not any harder than on other helmets. Just remove 3 screws per side and the ear protectors come off.

I tried the Re-akt last weekend and the Medium it fitted me very well. Just wanted to know how easy it is to remove the ear covers? I did not have time in the shop to look at it closer. I see JR cut them of. I hate ear covers and always get rid of them. Thanks.

Not any harder than on other helmets. Just remove 3 screws per side and the ear protectors come off.

Thanks. I was afraid it was glued on top of the screws. But i guess not.

I have been reading this and some of the other threads on the Re-akt but i don't see what spacers to use on it with a Oakley Straight Pro Visor?

I am sure it is here somewhere but I can not find it now :wacko:

And it was very easy to remove the ear covers :wink: