Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

They aren't as deep or wide as the shift 2, but they feel good so far. Given the width of my foot, a stock MLX would not have come close to fitting me. I really like the thin layer of padding on the inside of the boot, it helps make the boot very comfortable.

I wonder if Easton will produce baking a fitting videos for the mako. My biggest concern is the volume, although I don't have a wide foot (I wear 7D ccm cl) I hope the the EE will resolve any fit issues.

I wonder if Easton will produce baking a fitting videos for the mako. My biggest concern is the volume, although I don't have a wide foot (I wear 7D ccm cl) I hope the the EE will resolve any fit issues.

I wouldn't go with an EE to get more depth.

I don't have a narrow foot either (definitively not a vapor foot) I have a good fit with my ccm cl but I read that ccm has a wider fitting boot and Easton mako are very narrow, or does baking fix that? Thanks for doing the review been waiting very anxiously

I don't have a narrow foot either (definitively not a vapor foot) I have a good fit with my ccm cl but I read that ccm has a wider fitting boot and Easton mako are very narrow, or does baking fix that? Thanks for doing the review been waiting very anxiously

I wouldn't say that the Mako is narrow. The fit wasn't bad for me before baking and I have a very wide foot. Like most skates, you should try them on and decide for yourself.

The temp difference (200 vs 185) shouldn't be too critical. The 10 minutes at 200 guideline is a general guideline for a guy with "average" feet. That timeline can be flexible for guys who need a bit more. As with the MLX, you can spot heat areas with a heat gun on low setting to massage out and other pressure (I did a bit in my arches to accommodate flat feet).

Another first impression I had was a bit of initial discomfort on the base of my feet. While it was very short lived, it was explained as the feeling of extra foot support, comparable to what guys feel when getting orthotics.

Chadd - does Easton specify that you should only bake one skate at a time? Or am I misreading your post in the review?

I'll have to check my post again. I baked them both together and then had a pressure point on my left foot as it started to cool. I threw it back in the over for another couple minutes to soften it up. Because of that, it wasn't done at the same time as the right foot. The box only says 200 degrees for 16 minutes on the box, no other instructions were inside or on the box.

The temp difference (200 vs 185) shouldn't be too critical. The 10 minutes at 200 guideline is a general guideline for a guy with "average" feet. That timeline can be flexible for guys who need a bit more.

The box actually says 16 minutes

I wouldn't say that the Mako is narrow. The fit wasn't bad for me before baking and I have a very wide foot. Like most skates, you should try them on and decide for yourself.

That's a bit of a problem for me as my lhs refuses to carry Easton skates. I'm probably going to have to travel to get fitted.

That's a bit of a problem for me as my lhs refuses to carry Easton skates. I'm probably going to have to travel to get fitted.

When spending that much on skates, it's probably worth spending an afternoon, or even a full day, making sure you get it right.

I'll have to check my post again. I baked them both together and then had a pressure point on my left foot as it started to cool. I threw it back in the over for another couple minutes to soften it up. Because of that, it wasn't done at the same time as the right foot. The box only says 200 degrees for 16 minutes on the box, no other instructions were inside or on the box.

I must have misread it. For some reason it seemed like you had done one at a time. Thanks

Chadd how's the heel lock on the mako?

Feels good so far. It opened up for me quite a bit with baking, but that's what I needed.

I'm still not 100% sure about the pencil test but I if I'm 99% sure they fail. Correct?

They aren't bad at the ankle, but the depth is an issue along the forefoot.

Just sharpened them up a few minutes ago, they seemed to take an edge pretty easily. No cross grind and it seemed to have a nice edge pretty quickly. More sparks than with my pitch steel, but not like with a low end blade.

Do you think somebody in a pair of Nexus might fit into these things? I'm not sure how the fit compares.

Anything is possible, I didn't like the fit of the Nexus for my foot.

That's actually something I've been wondering about too. Chadd, if possible could you show a comparison of the stock Mako footbed with a pair of yellow superfeet? The MLX footbed was waaaaaaay too steep in the arch and I swapped them out with the superfeet and everything was hunkydory after that.

Chad- How would you compare the toe caps in terms of width to a Bauer vapor cap? and what are the foot beds like? I haven't heard much about them.

vapors have not worked for my foot, I haven't had them on long enough to really consider the toe cap.

That's actually something I've been wondering about too. Chadd, if possible could you show a comparison of the stock Mako footbed with a pair of yellow superfeet? The MLX footbed was waaaaaaay too steep in the arch and I swapped them out with the superfeet and everything was hunkydory after that.

The stock insole is fairly thin, any issues with the arch would be with the skate, not the insole. I don't have/use yellow superfeet, so I am unable to post of pic of both.

It's funny I loved the mlx footbed actually. What I loved the most about them is that they had a bouncy feeling.

Actually, I'm looking for that feeling, perhaps running shoes insoles could be the answer.

Edited by romdj