Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Interesting, those also felt good to me...obviously different feet. As I mentioned before, I am very interested to hearing how a previous APX wearer likes the new Mako. I am going to try them on myself, but the true feel of the skate doesn't come until after baking them, so I would like to hear from someone who has went down that route.

I'm currently wearing the APX. I've baked the Mako, but I haven't had an opportunity to demo the skates on ice. Here's some observations for you:

- I fit a 7.5D in the APX and a 7.5D in the Mako.

- The Mako has better heel lock/a narrower heel for me than the APX.

- The Mako has a wider toe box and forefoot for me than the APX (had to punch my APX, wouldn't be needed in the Mako).

- The Mako has slightly less volume through the forefoot, arch and instep than the APX, but it's REALLY close to the APX.

- My APX feel stiffer than the Mako.

- The Mako feels slightly shorter cut (maybe closer to a Graf cut) with more range of motion.

- The Mako has more aggressive forward pitch/stance than the APX.

- The Mako seems to have more build-up in the arch of the skate, compared to the more flat arch area in the APX.

- The interior materials of the Mako seems softer and more comfortable, especially in forefoot and toe box than the APX.

- Both skates give me a lace bite feeling on on the upper part of my ankle near the upper eyelets. I've remedied this completely in my APX by doing outside-in lacing, but didn't try this on the Mako.

- The Mako wraps a LOT over the top of my foot and has a fairly close lacing pattern. My lacing pattern in the APX is normal.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Edited by Davetronz
  • Like 2

I'm currently wearing the APX. I've baked the Mako, but I haven't had an opportunity to demo the skates on ice. Here's some observations for you:

- I fit a 7.5D in the APX and a 7.5D in the Mako.

- The Mako has better heel lock/a narrower heel for me than the APX.

- The Mako has a wider toe box and forefoot for me than the APX (had to punch my APX, wouldn't be needed in the Mako).

- The Mako has slightly less volume through the forefoot, arch and instep than the APX, but it's REALLY close to the APX.

- My APX feel stiffer than the Mako.

- The Mako feels slightly shorter cut (maybe closer to a Graf cut) with more range of motion.

- The Mako has more aggressive forward pitch/stance than the APX.

- The Mako seems to have more build-up in the arch of the skate, compared to the more flat arch area in the APX.

- The interior materials of the Mako seems softer and more comfortable, especially in forefoot and toe box than the APX.

- Both skates give me a lace bite feeling on on the upper part of my ankle near the upper eyelets. I've remedied this completely in my APX by doing outside-in lacing, but didn't try this on the Mako.

- The Mako wraps a LOT over the top of my foot and has a fairly close lacing pattern. My lacing pattern in the APX is normal.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Thanks so much for those details, VERY interested to hear what you think after you skate on them, so please be sure to let me know. I am curious to see if you prefer the Mako over your APX. Also, do you like APX, personally i think they are very food.

I always use bunga pads to avoid lace bite; it's the worst!

For all of the MLX skaters. How has the fit compared?

Is forward and backward flex comparable?

Is blade/holder size oversized (compared to Bauer/Easton) like the MLX?

For EQ Skaters: How similar is stance?

How similar do the holders/Blades feel?

I really never got used to the stance and feel of the blade/holder on my MLX. Switched to EQ despite being far less comfortable as they were much more responsive to quick direction changes. Assuming Mako fits right, driving 4 hours each way to find out, I'll drop an LS or if I like it a CXN holder on the MLX's for back up skates.

Because there are a LOT of dealers who are under the impression that they can't be reheated, therefore, they only offer it after the sale. That mindset will change with time.

In addition to the attitude that once baked, they could be considered 'used' by customers, thus a potential sale lost.

Put my foot into a Mako yesterday without lacing for a few seconds. Same feelings as the rest of you. Major concerns for me was the lack of depth...everywhere, especially the forefoot where getting laces into the eyelets seemed difficult Extremely flexible tendon is nice performance-wise, but a major concern for durability. Time will tell. Very surprised by how soft the boot was, another major concern for me.

In addition to the attitude that once baked, they could be considered 'used' by customers, thus a potential sale lost.

Put my foot into a Mako yesterday without lacing for a few seconds. Same feelings as the rest of you. Major concerns for me was the lack of depth...everywhere, especially the forefoot where getting laces into the eyelets seemed difficult Extremely flexible tendon is nice performance-wise, but a major concern for durability. Time will tell. Very surprised by how soft the boot was, another major concern for me.

The boot isn't soft. The side panels are extremely hard and stiff, possibly even more so after baking. That said, the heel construction allows for some movement of those side panels, while allowing them to retain their stiffness.

I would say that's accurate enough. Keep in mind though, the internal of the skate will still mold around the heel, giving excellent lock. Once you've baked them and let them sit, you can't bend the boot without a little effort. Same goes for any top end skate, really.

Just picked up my Easton Mako's today.

I have been a strong supporter of MLX and have skated on them the last 2 years.

I, like most, have had my fair share of comfort problems with many major brands. MLX was one of the best fitting skates I have used to date.

I skated in a 9D in MLX, 10D in Bauer, and 9.5D with the new makos (oddly enough i own a 10D easton RS as well). I highly suggest trying on a few sizes before your purchase. Correct size is key. I personally was very close to a 10D in the mako, but opted for a 9.5.

After baking my 9.5 makos did give Alittle and really formed to my foot, very happy I chose the 9.5. Unbelievable how great these skates feel, better than MLX.

Now I need to put them to a real test and hit the ice.

Good luck boys.

Also I don't know if anyone knows the official weight of the makos?

Wow. I thought my box only had 1 skate in it when first picking them up. Very light. I'd imagine quite a few grams lighter than my MLX. Hopefully durability and performance backs up the fit, if so, Easton may finally have a winner.

Had my first skate on them last night. Absolutely unreal acceleration. I'll have to take some steel off the toe, but other than that they were great. Already dialed in. I like the new holder. Very forward pitched. More so than anything else I've worn before. That was really the only adjustment I had to make; compensating to not fall on my face in warm-up, haha.

Sure, but they only had one pair for us.

I've mapped out my review schedule for 2013, and I'll be doing APX2 and then CCM RBZ, so hopefully down the road I can LTR the Mako.

• Like 1

Had my first skate on them last night. Absolutely unreal acceleration. I'll have to take some steel off the toe, but other than that they were great. Already dialed in. I like the new holder. Very forward pitched. More so than anything else I've worn before. That was really the only adjustment I had to make; compensating to not fall on my face in warm-up, haha.

I really didn't find the pitch to be all that aggressive. Coming from Mission, it was seamless for me.

Guys, quick question - is there same size of RS and Mako?

Interested in this as well and not just mean the same boot size. Wondering if anyone has fit into an RS and the Mako.

Been wearing Vapors for 10+ years, was looking at skates a couple of weeks ago and out of all of them the RS locked in my foot and felt so comfortable compared to the X7.0's. Kinda realized how much of a noob I was trying skates out and not knowing what was best at the time.

Edited by LobstaLOL

I'll be doing APX2

I'm really interested of that new lacing system, it can be a great improvement as the laces seem better handled. I'm also concerned with the trigger system as they could experience breaking issues and/or subject to pranks.

Here's a pic of the rear towers of the Mako holder and the LS2 (both size 9's). Measured front to back, the Mako has approx .5 degree more pitch in the holder than the LS2. The Mako steel measured by itself has 1 degree forward lean. Sorry, I don't have a new unsharpened LS2 runner to measure. Also, Mako holes line up exact with LS2.

holders_zps11ddcaa1.jpg

Edited by jimmy