Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Awesome. I might swap them out just because it's what I'm used to. The CXN holder is nice... but hockey players are creatures of habit and I'm no different.

Awesome. I might swap them out just because it's what I'm used to. The CXN holder is nice... but hockey players are creatures of habit and I'm no different.

I was thinking the opposite, those with LS2's could ditch those for the CXN, better performance, better attachment system, better steel.

Tried on the Makos at the MN Hockey Expo today. I wear 9 in CCM. 8.5 felt a bit small, wish I had worn skate socks. I think I would go with 9 though. They have 4 or 5 ovens for fitting. You can buy them there too.

Edited by karvy

Tried on the Makos at he MN Hockey Expo today. I wear 9 in CCM. 8.5 felt a bit small, wish I had worn skate socks. I think I would go with 9 though. They have 4 or 5 ovens for fitting. You can buy them there too.

They will open up a bit and feel slightly bigger after baking.

Certainly a lot of solutions. I'll probably stick it out since I'm two games in already and the adjustment is happening already.

I was able to bake and try these on today. I currently wear 8.5 One95's. I fit into the 8.5 Mako. What a unique feeling skate, as I told my son about some of the details, specifically the tendon guard, he wrinkled his nose and said I never notice it on my One100s. Upon trying the Mako on his response was obvious. The flexible tendon guard had a unique feel, he really liked it. The tendon guard flex and low boot cut really gives the skate a totally unique feel. Had some one on one time with Dave Cruikshank as well. This is a very interesting skate, I will be buying a pair as soon as available.

I have a question - given the forward pitch on the CXN holder, what does that mean for getting the skates profiled? I normally get a regular 9 foot radius. With these, would that counteract the forward pitch, or would it make it even more - maybe too much - aggressive? Or would it have no practical effect? What radius do the Makos come out of the box?

I have a question - given the forward pitch on the CXN holder, what does that mean for getting the skates profiled? I normally get a regular 9 foot radius. With these, would that counteract the forward pitch, or would it make it even more - maybe too much - aggressive? Or would it have no practical effect? What radius do the Makos come out of the box?

Pitch is just one part of the profile, so with the CXN, depending on the skater, no additional pitch would be added. You can still get your 9' as usual.

I'm on my phone so I can't search to see if this has been answered, but does the Mako have an oversized holder like the MLX? Depending on the answer to the previous question, does the new CXN holder holes line up with the MLX holder?

I'm on my phone so I can't search to see if this has been answered, but does the Mako have an oversized holder like the MLX? Depending on the answer to the previous question, does the new CXN holder holes line up with the MLX holder?

Yes the Mako has an oversized holder. However I cannot answer whether or not the holes line up with the MLX.

My question is do these skates actually live up to all of the hype they are getting performance wise? Judging only on comfort these skates are amazing. I've used Bauer skates my whole life but when I tried these on they were the most comfortable skates I've ever worn and they weren't even baked yet. But how big of a difference can these skates actual make in a persons skating compared to Bauer skates? Easton claims they will be completely revolutionary in natural movement and stride. In order for me to switch out my Bauer's for a pair of these I need to know that they will make a noticeable difference in skating. Can anyone help?

Yes the Mako has an oversized holder. However I cannot answer whether or not the holes line up with the MLX.

My question is do these skates actually live up to all of the hype they are getting performance wise? Judging only on comfort these skates are amazing. I've used Bauer skates my whole life but when I tried these on they were the most comfortable skates I've ever worn and they weren't even baked yet. But how big of a difference can these skates actual make in a persons skating compared to Bauer skates? Easton claims they will be completely revolutionary in natural movement and stride. In order for me to switch out my Bauer's for a pair of these I need to know that they will make a noticeable difference in skating. Can anyone help?

You should be able to notice a difference in your natural stride, turn radius, and acceleration. Those were the most noticeable things to me, back when the MLX came out. The Mako's behave the same, if not a little bit more responsive than its predecessor. However, this is just my opinion. I'm sure others will have more input, like Chadd. The biggest thing for me was the turn radius. I found myself being able to execute tighter turns, without losing as much speed as I would have in a different skate. Especially useful for reffing, when cross-unders are used to make tighter turns and conserve energy in high level games.

From the demo size 8 I saw, Chadd's earlier comment on it and my MLX's; the Mako's don't have an oversized holder like MLX did.

From the demo size 8 I saw, Chadd's earlier comment on it and my MLX's; the Mako's don't have an oversized holder like MLX did.

Holder sizing is exactly the same as my Mission skates, they do not appear to be oversized at all.

No skate is going to take a poor skater and turn him into a good one. The Mako gives you what you need without getting in your way. Other than me thinking about things to write in the review, I haven't had to think about my skates or how they were going to react on the ice. The skates provide an excellent platform to allow you to get the most our of yourself.

Thanks for the clarification. Does the Total One NXG compare to the Mako at all then? I know that Bauer seems to stress the flexible tendon guard, etc.

Holder sizing is exactly the same as my Mission skates, they do not appear to be oversized at all.

No skate is going to take a poor skater and turn him into a good one. The Mako gives you what you need without getting in your way. Other than me thinking about things to write in the review, I haven't had to think about my skates or how they were going to react on the ice. The skates provide an excellent platform to allow you to get the most our of yourself.

NHL players are the extreme when it comes to being a creature of habit. I don't think anyone is making that dramatic of a shift ever, let alone mid season.

NHL players are the extreme when it comes to being a creature of habit. I don't think anyone is making that dramatic of a shift ever, let alone mid season.

Especially in a year without a training camp

The skates may have been available but without teams gathered it would have been very difficult for reps to get to players. Guys were scattered all over North America and the world. Had there been normal training camps then it would have been a lot easier for reps to get to players.