Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Everybody has a different foot type, so don't take our reports as the be-all-end-all for your decision making. Try them on if you can.

Well, got to skate on mine yesterday for 1.5hrs, all I can say is I couldn't tell I had a skate on. I was nervous coming from a softer boot skate to these, but they were perfect.

As far as sizing, I wear a 7EE Total One and I couldnt even begin to get my foot into a 7EE Mako. My toes were completely crushed and curled at the end. I tried an 8EE and they seemed to be right for length, still found them a little too narrow for me though before baking. I didnt try to bake them because they're just out of my retail stock. From what it sounds like, baking would likely make them wide enough for me, but I still found them to be about a full size smaller in length than my TOs unless they open up a ton in length as well during baking.

As far as sizing, I wear a 7EE Total One and I couldnt even begin to get my foot into a 7EE Mako. My toes were completely crushed and curled at the end. I tried an 8EE and they seemed to be right for length, still found them a little too narrow for me though before baking. I didnt try to bake them because they're just out of my retail stock. From what it sounds like, baking would likely make them wide enough for me, but I still found them to be about a full size smaller in length than my TOs unless they open up a ton in length as well during baking.

Well, I have a similar issue in Supremes, I presume, because of the width of my heel. In EE, I am a full size shorter than D, but EE is a bit wide for me. Ended up settling on a custom E from prostock return. My point is, it's possible the length issue could be settled with baking if the heel widens. Expensive experiment to try though unless they allow you to bake before buying like Graf dealers do.

On that note, for those that know, can you do multiple bakes on the Makos? or at least more than once or twice so that it is realistic to bake in the store before buying?

Why would you not be able to bake (any skate) more than once??? When trying to sell skates, I found that to be an invaluable selling point. Have baked every single one of my own skates more than once, even more than twice. It's not like you are dealing with dairy here.

Why would you not be able to bake (any skate) more than once??? When trying to sell skates, I found that to be an invaluable selling point. Have baked every single one of my own skates more than once, even more than twice. It's not like you are dealing with dairy here.

My impression has been, and I have not been corrected by most retailers, is that you can bake Bauers 2 x (at least the high end Supremes), then you start compromising the quality of the boot. OTOH, Grafs are essentially unlimited in the number of times you can bake.

Is this wrong?

Well, got to skate on mine yesterday for 1.5hrs, all I can say is I couldn't tell I had a skate on. I was nervous coming from a softer boot skate to these, but they were perfect.

That was what has impressed me the most about mine. Unlike some of the other composite skates out there, the Mako is incredibly comfortable. My feet hurt just putting on the newer Bauers, let alone trying to skate in them.

From what it sounds like, baking would likely make them wide enough for me, but I still found them to be about a full size smaller in length than my TOs unless they open up a ton in length as well during baking.

Baking opened up the heel a lot in my case.

I've baked my Mako's twice. Once at the rink, and a second time at home. I did the same with my MLX. I don't see any reason why a dealer wouldn't heat them up for you beforehand. It's a major selling point. The MLX was reheatable, and so far the Mako's have behaved similarly for me.

That was what has impressed me the most about mine. Unlike some of the other composite skates out there, the Mako is incredibly comfortable. My feet hurt just putting on the newer Bauers, let alone trying to skate in them.

So you tried the APX2 and they hurt? If so, did the original APX hurt (felt like slippers to me)? Just curious

I've baked my Mako's twice. Once at the rink, and a second time at home. I did the same with my MLX. I don't see any reason why a dealer wouldn't heat them up for you beforehand. It's a major selling point. The MLX was reheatable, and so far the Mako's have behaved similarly for me.

Because there are a LOT of dealers who are under the impression that they can't be reheated, therefore, they only offer it after the sale. That mindset will change with time.

So you tried the APX2 and they hurt? If so, did the original APX hurt (felt like slippers to me)? Just curious

no, only the first generation APX.

no, only the first generation APX.

Interesting, those also felt good to me...obviously different feet. As I mentioned before, I am very interested to hearing how a previous APX wearer likes the new Mako. I am going to try them on myself, but the true feel of the skate doesn't come until after baking them, so I would like to hear from someone who has went down that route.

• Like 1

I would talk to the dealer and get them to heat them up first. It's an 800 dollar skate, and it was designed with that in mind. Show them the mlx videos, they'll get it. They didn't hurt for me out of the box, but that won't be true for everyone.

I haven't tried on the Mako, but I did handle them quite a bit in the store the other day... My impressions/Question is:

Are they supposed to be a stiff skate? I was squeezing the ankle area together and they flexed a lot.. Compared to Vapor line which I cannot budge when squeezing.. the Makos seem to be very malleable.

So are these in stores now? Krev you pre-ordered didn't you?

I canceled my pre-order. Got lucky with an EQM.

March 15th is street date.

True, but what store wouldn't want to make some $$$ as soon as possible with a really hyped up skate.

I'm not endorsing it, but that's the reality of it.

True, but what store wouldn't want to make some $$$ as soon as possible with a really hyped up skate.

I'm not endorsing it, but that's the reality of it.

And the reality of it is that they can lose their account if they sell them early.

Yup, and they'll have to deal with that consequence. That's why I'm happy that I got mine the way I did. Extra stock from an EQM with the rep present. Nobody gets fired, and nobody loses an account.

Yeah, we got ours and thats how I tired one on. We have not received the full shipment yet though as they will come before the March 15th release date.

Glad to hear it, Chadd. Looking forward to more of your posts in the LTR. Happy to see you've found them to be quite comfortable.