Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

This kid does decent reviews. Here with the Mako he states that they run wide in the forefoot and got a D even tho he uses EE usually (I would guess he was informed by Easton). Not good if its the case, starting to get tired of the width of my S17, making another wide skate does not really help with negative place as they try to eliminate it.

The thing that annoys me with this guy is that he does reviews that aren't any different to IW reviews, except he does them with an British accent.

Meaning the skates will always look new, he'll never mention the flaws, and basically reads the manufacturer's description of the item.

Edited by romdj
  • Like 1

The thing that annoys me with this guy is that he does reviews that aren't any different to IW reviews, except he does them with an British accent.

Meaning the skates will always look new, he'll never mention the flaws, and basically reads the manufacturer's description of the item.

That sucks. I've never actually watched any of his reviews before, just his skating tutorial videos, since I can't skate.

When you open a box and look at an item it isn't a review, it's a preview. All you can do is give impressions and read off the spec sheet. That's why the people that do it all tend to sound the same, they don't have anything different to add yet.

• Like 1

I'm very interested in these except I'm a little scared of the forward pitch (being a defenseman and not wanting to hurt my backwards skating). I've never tried a skate with a forward pitch. For those of you that have, i.e. Grafs and MLX's or Mako's, should I not be worried about that?

Even mediocre skaters can adapt to a slightly different pitch on skates. If you find you prefer something different, you can always have the steel profiled to address the issue,

When you open a box and look at an item it isn't a review, it's a preview. All you can do is give impressions and read off the spec sheet. That's why the people that do it all tend to sound the same, they don't have anything different to add yet.

True, though to be fair he DID say there would be another video after he's had a chance to test them out. The above was just an "unboxing" video (that seems to be a common thing with new products these days).

I'm very interested in these except I'm a little scared of the forward pitch (being a defenseman and not wanting to hurt my backwards skating). I've never tried a skate with a forward pitch. For those of you that have, i.e. Grafs and MLX's or Mako's, should I not be worried about that?

From the Wikipedia page on Micron 10-90's:

"The design of the boots made the skater lean forward slightly when skating which meant they were ideal skates for balancing weight when skating backwards. This proved popular with ice hockey players that played defence."

Bauer bought out Micron a year or so before I started playing ice hockey, and I only saw them once on a player in person, but perhaps the forward pitch could be a pleasant surprise for you. That, and if you're one of those who ends up liking the fit of the Mako so much, I imagine you'd feel more comfortable skating backwards, whether or not you keep the pitch you're used to now, or wind up changing to something more forward leaning. Just don't let that be a deal breaker when, as Chadd points out, you can adjust the pitch independently.

"The design of the boots made the skater lean forward slightly when skating which meant they were ideal skates for balancing weight when skating backwards. This proved popular with ice hockey players that played defence."

Bauer bought out Micron a year or so before I started playing ice hockey, and I only saw them once on a player in person, but perhaps the forward pitch could be a pleasant surprise for you. That, and if you're one of those who ends up liking the fit of the Mako so much, I imagine you'd feel more comfortable skating backwards, whether or not you keep the pitch you're used to now, or wind up changing to something more forward leaning. Just don't let that be a deal breaker when, as Chadd points out, you can adjust the pitch independently.

Moreover, on a biomechanical standpoint, you can't really bend forward or your knees too much, and being on your toes helps you doing that; so it's not too much of a risk you're taking.

Edited by romdj

How will these skates fit if I currently am wearing vapors? Too wide?

Just got a sample pair in and they fit like nothing else I've ever put my foot in.. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that out of the box they're one of the most snug fitting skates to date. These are a D width and I feel concentrated pressure on the inside of my feet between the arch and the balls of my feet. I'll be baking them tonight and I believe (and hope) that they're going to stretch out the little bit I need to feel nice and comfortable. Can anyone else confirm?

That's surprising to hear. I had several pairs of Micron Mega Air 90's and really loved them. Though, the skates had regular Custom+ holders, so how much can boot pitch overcome the neutral pitch on the Custom+?

Just got a sample pair in and they fit like nothing else I've ever put my foot in.. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that out of the box they're one of the most snug fitting skates to date. These are a D width and I feel concentrated pressure on the inside of my feet between the arch and the balls of my feet. I'll be baking them tonight and I believe (and hope) that they're going to stretch out the little bit I need to feel nice and comfortable. Can anyone else confirm?

From all looks of these skates, they are upgraded MLX's. With that being said, you had to bake those skates to get a "proper" fit. That was kind of the point, heat them for 8 minutes a side (16 minutes total) and they would mold unlike any other hockey skate made. I guess they could "fit" out of the box, but the whole benefit was to heat them, and mold them like speed skaters do. I was surprised to see in that video posted by the english kid, that he was not going to bake them. That kind of defeats the whole purpose.Easton is doing itself a disservice if they don't stress the need to heat these. (this of course assumes they share the same MLX heritage of moldability)

When I first got my MLX's, they fit horribly out of the box. Not a chance I could skate more than a few minutes on them the way they were. Way too tight for that. Heated one time, and they were the best fitting skates I have ever owned.

I'm not going to imbed the videos here, but check out the videos of the old MLX skates on youtube. These things are meant to be heated.

Couldn't agree more, that's a big selling point on how the material turns to mush after 16 minutes, I just wanted to state the fit straight outta the box. I remember meeting with Easton quite some time ago and they named a couple of pro's that didn't care to mold them because they fit so nicely out of the box. Those "pro's" must have crazy shaped feet.

Mine arrived this afternoon, I will be starting a topic shortly. I have been planning to start shooting video at some point, but I'm not sure it would actually add anything at this point to do so.

• Like 1

Mine arrived this afternoon, I will be starting a topic shortly. I have been planning to start shooting video at some point, but I'm not sure it would actually add anything at this point to do so.

Um... It's been like 20 minutes. What's taking so long? Kidding!

• Like 1

Um... It's been like 20 minutes. What's taking so long? Kidding!

I'm still really sick. If I could stop coughing up stuff I might be done by now.

The look on these is growing on me... however, I just can't step away from Bauer.

RS's didn't do too well did they?

Last UNH/Merrimack game I went to I noticed 7-8 players in the RS.

Edited by chippa13