Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I have been in missions mostly for a long time, but I had been back in my Kor Shift 2s for a couple months after cutting my foot open in my Missions.

Once you receive your replacement pair from Easton, I'm definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on how the Makos compare to the Kors. Since you've already baked the Makos I'm sure you have some initial thoughts. You already mentioned that the Shift 2s are wider and deeper, but beyond fit I'm interested in knowing the differences in heat response and of course performance.

The Mako (and MLX before them) and Kor skates are both based on speed skating technology, have long bake times and are highly malleable. When I first read about the MLX skates they seemed to me to be very similar to Kors in concept, but with more adjustability and a flexible tendon guard. The Makos are an evolution of the MLX skate and still share some similarities with the Kor skates.

I noticed that in the video where Dave Cruikshank is talking about the Journey to the Mako skate there's an old picture of him where he's wearing Kor Shift 1 skates (47/48 second mark):

He does talk about how the skates on the market at the time didn't allow him to do what he wanted and that's why he started work on the MLX skate. So obviously the MLX skates are different than Kors, but on paper certainly share some similarities.

What I'd really like to know is if the Makos are more or less responsive to heat than the Kors, if they perform better and if so how much better? I know it's impossible to say they're 25.7% better, but some general comments like they're a little more response or allow for much better feel and edge work ect. would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by althoma1

The shift 1 never got wide enough for me, even after baking. The shift 2 was huge in width and volume, maybe even too much for me. The Mako fits much closer to my foot without feeling like my foot is locked in a vise. The Makos are very comfortable for me, looking forward to getting on the ice with replacements. I'll be able to talk more about skating in them at that point.

I skated in them 3 weeks ago ...had my S17 9W on my left foot and the 8,5D mako on the right ....fitwise they are pretty close while the mako felt a bit more agile but I'd put that towards the shorter runner of the 8,5 mako vs the 9W S17

.....they weren't baked but felt pretty good on my foot ...the guy I got them from , an easton pro rep , uses them as replacement for his S17 9W as well so the sizing should be accurate ....for the bauer guys I'd recommend 8,5D mako for somebody skating in 8,5 EE upper vapor line ...for EQ guys I'd say the mako has a lot less volume in general than the EQ , lengthwise an 8,5 EQ would be a 8,5 mako !!

I wear a 8 RBK. Today I got my Mako's and a 9 was perfect. Didn't make sense, but skate fitting never does. BTW, I love this skate. They felt like crap before they were molded, but after molding they were the sweetest feeling skate I have ever put on. Can't even describe it, but they fit so well. I did the goalie conversion today and am anxious to test them out Monday.

601543_528610853828484_55612573_n_zpsda4

Edited by jimmy

i am saying that a 8,5 mako in D is as wide as a 9 S17 in W

man do I get confused. Some say that the mako is very tight in the forefoot, others like you say its wide. If a D mako is the same as W s17, then it is very very wide (which i seriously doubt).

I wear a 8 RBK. Today I got my Mako's and a 9 was perfect. Didn't make sense, but skate fitting never does. BTW, I love this skate. They felt like crap before they were molded, but after molding they were the sweetest feeling skate I have even put on. Can't even describe it, but they fit so well. I did the goalie conversion today and am anxious to test them out Monday.

The scary thing is, it sounds like even if you go to try them out, they most likely won't feel good/right until they are molded, at which point it's too late to return if they still don't fit.

The scary thing is, it sounds like even if you go to try them out, they most likely won't feel good/right until they are molded, at which point it's too late to return if they still don't fit.

The funny thing is I had one customer try them on out of the box no molding and he said they felt great, where for me complete opposite. But for sales wise, if I have a serious customer, I will take the time to mold before the sale. Having gone thru molding myself, I can attest to the vast positive change in feel after molding.

I tossed them to a friend of mine that swore off ever buying Eastons again after using Z-airs (he wore my old 852s for a couple years after I moved on to something else) and he loved them. His feet are very similar in size and shape and he is currently in RBK 11ks.

That's somewhat promising, since I'm currently in RBKs. Cant wait to try a pair!

Did Gretzky do the lace ankle wrap thing in his playing days? I feel like he didn't, but I could be wrong.

He usually did a slim ring of tape around the tendon guard. Lemieux did too, then Sakic. A lot of skaters seemed to imitate Gretzky's style. Lace wrap I don't recall seeing on him.

Geeze, couldn't they get a better picture of him? He looks like he's 100 years old.

Yeah, he looks a bit confused and as if he's suffering slight indigestion, funny pic.

Can I count this Gretz' opinion as a win for Lemieux?

man do I get confused. Some say that the mako is very tight in the forefoot, others like you say its wide. If a D mako is the same as W s17, then it is very very wide (which i seriously doubt).

I think they will open up quite a bit after baking, if needed. Conflicting opinions on ft are why I always suggest trying something on before buying whenever possible.

The skates definitely opened up a bit after baking. D width is definitely close fitting. It was juuuuuuust right for me. And yes, for those wondering: These fit almost identically to the MLX skates. A touch 'softer' in the material, in my opinion.

Edited by Krev

The skates definitely opened up a bit after baking. D width is definitely close fitting. It was juuuuuuust right for me. And yes, for those wondering: These fit almost identically to the MLX skates. A touch 'softer' in the material, in my opinion.

Glad you finally got yours :)

How would you compare the length to bauer - i.e. would a bauer 6 equal a mako 6?

Edited by Neo5370

I wound up going with an 8D. You'll really have to try them on. I was going to go with a 7.5D Mako, but it wound up being too short. The 8D was perfect. Here's my history in skates, dating back a ways.

Easton Z-Air - 7.5D
Vapor XX - 7D
Vapor XXX - 7.5D
Easton S15 - 8D
Easton S17 - 8D

MLX - 7
Easton Mako - 8D