Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

There are a few wearing them. Derek Roy on the Stars for instance, has been in them all season. Gonchar, who came from MLX. Dustin Byfuglien as well.

No one is going to eclipse Bauer's dominance on the market with 1 skate release.

Pavelski as well.

Resharpened to 1/2" and skated two games on them as a referee. Adjustment completed, and I have absolutely no complaints about the skates.

Pavelski as well.

Resharpened to 1/2" and skated two games on them as a referee. Adjustment completed, and I have absolutely no complaints about the skates.

What skates are you coming from previously? Curious to see if anyone coming from APX favors these more.

I was able to try these on. I'm very interested in these since I'd be switching from Kors to Makos. My only concern is that the arch seems very high on the skate and it felt a bit painful on the arch of my feet especially on the inside of each foot. When molding is there something specific I should do to get the arch to be a bit flatter? Another thing I thought of was to just put the footbeds from my Kors in there to help. The Mako footbed seems pretty thin so I was even thinking of putting the footbed from the Kors over that just to fix that high arch. Any help would be appreciated. This is the only thing that would stop me from getting them because everything else seemed perfect. Thanks!

I was always under the impression that standing in freshly baked skates was bad.

Yeah this is what I'm trying to figure out... If the arch will flatten out a bit and how to make sure that it does when they are baked. I know with Kors the instructions were to actually stand in them and lean forward a few times. I don't think that's the case with the Mako's though. The high spot seems to be right in the middle of my foot. On the skate it seems to be right where the footbed meets the orange lining of the skate.

What skates are you coming from previously? Curious to see if anyone coming from APX favors these more.

MLX, the predecessor of the Mako. Only Bauer skates I've worn in recent years were the XX and XXX.

Yeah this is what I'm trying to figure out... If the arch will flatten out a bit and how to make sure that it does when they are baked. I know with Kors the instructions were to actually stand in them and lean forward a few times. I don't think that's the case with the Mako's though. The high spot seems to be right in the middle of my foot. On the skate it seems to be right where the footbed meets the orange lining of the skate.

I had the same problem after the first bake. I skated one game on them and didn't like how my arch felt. It wasn't terrible, just some minor discomfort in the arch. I rebaked at home without standing. Left them on longer this time, about half an hour, and my feet have adjusted. I took the footbed from my MLX (yellow superfeet) with me to my first game, swapped them out and it didn't feel right at all. My suggestion is to stay with the Mako footbeds, and rebake again.

Thanks for your help Krev! Like I said I don't have these yet but I know the arch is going to be a problem. So hopefully the baking just solves that problem. If not I'll just bake again and hope for a better result the 2nd time.

MLX, the predecessor of the Mako. Only Bauer skates I've worn in recent years were the XX and XXX.

I had the same problem after the first bake. I skated one game on them and didn't like how my arch felt. It wasn't terrible, just some minor discomfort in the arch. I rebaked at home without standing. Left them on longer this time, about half an hour, and my feet have adjusted. I took the footbed from my MLX (yellow superfeet) with me to my first game, swapped them out and it didn't feel right at all. My suggestion is to stay with the Mako footbeds, and rebake again.

I was able to try these on. I'm very interested in these since I'd be switching from Kors to Makos. My only concern is that the arch seems very high on the skate and it felt a bit painful on the arch of my feet especially on the inside of each foot. When molding is there something specific I should do to get the arch to be a bit flatter? Another thing I thought of was to just put the footbeds from my Kors in there to help. The Mako footbed seems pretty thin so I was even thinking of putting the footbed from the Kors over that just to fix that high arch. Any help would be appreciated. This is the only thing that would stop me from getting them because everything else seemed perfect. Thanks!

I am a guy with very flat feet, after baking, my arch was 100% fine on the left, and 90% on the right. After two sessions, I used a heat gun on low heat to heat just my arch area, and was literally able to make up the difference by puttin light pressure on the area with my thumb. Have not ha an issue since. These accommodate low arches very well.

Krev, how high are your arches?

Not very high. Lower than average arches, but not enough that I'd consider myself to be flat footed.

Thanks for your help Krev! Like I said I don't have these yet but I know the arch is going to be a problem. So hopefully the baking just solves that problem. If not I'll just bake again and hope for a better result the 2nd time.

Yeah, I'd rebake and then spot heat the problem area with a heatgun or a blowdryer on low heat to help alleviate that pressure spot. I was the opposite of the Buzz. 90% on left, 100% on right.

There are a few wearing them. Derek Roy on the Stars for instance, has been in them all season. Gonchar, who came from MLX. Dustin Byfuglien as well.

No one is going to eclipse Bauer's dominance on the market with 1 skate release.

Byfuglien's been in the new CCM RBZ's for the past few games, with classic 90's tongues on them. But Radek Martinek and Andrew MacDonald are wearing Makos.

Edited by flip12

Makos are not the lightest skate on the market, but they are , by any reasonable measure, a light skate. Easton has also never marketed them as being the lightest skate on the market. So far, these skates have provided a level of fit and comfort that has exceeded every other boot on the market for my foot. Can we please stay on topic?

Makos are not the lightest skate on the market, but they are , by any reasonable measure, a light skate. Easton has also never marketed them as being the lightest skate on the market. So far, these skates have provided a level of fit and comfort that has exceeded every other boot on the market for my foot. Can we please stay on topic?

So, why were all the posts related to the weight pulled? Some may not think it's that important, but some others might. Why not let the readers be the judge? It's not like they were inflammatory.

They were misleading since they weren't comparisons of the same size skates to the ones Chadd had weighed. That said, people should worry more about fit and performance than saving a couple of grams that they will never feel.

They were misleading since they weren't comparisons of the same size skates to the ones Chadd had weighed. That said, people should worry more about fit and performance than saving a couple of grams that they will never feel.

Fair enough regarding the comparisons. Certainly fit is important, the most important, but weight is a factor in performance, whether people want to acknowledge that or not. How important a factor is a point of debate, but it's certainly not irrelevant. Back to the discussion sans ala weight.

I am a guy with very flat feet, after baking, my arch was 100% fine on the left, and 90% on the right. After two sessions, I used a heat gun on low heat to heat just my arch area, and was literally able to make up the difference by puttin light pressure on the area with my thumb. Have not ha an issue since. These accommodate low arches very well.

That's good to know since the CCM Foot Disc showed that I had one high and one low arch.

I may have been careless to throw bandy in there without saying why. It looks like hockey skates/skating are headed in that (bandy) direction: lower cut, greater range of motion. If this contributed to derailing the focus, I apologize.

Here's a pic of the rear towers of the Mako holder and the LS2 (both size 9's). Measured front to back, the Mako has approx .5 degree more pitch in the holder than the LS2. The Mako steel measured by itself has 1 degree forward lean. Sorry, I don't have a new unsharpened LS2 runner to measure. Also, Mako holes line up exact with LS2.

holders_zps11ddcaa1.jpg

Could you do the same thing with the front towers. I'd like to see the front to make a better overall comparison of pitch. Thanks.

TotalHockey did that as well a couple of weeks ago.

Since the Mako is such a different skate than anything else, I wonder if they will market downspec models in the future. Currently, it's analogous to only having the NXG available in the Supreme line. In that respect, I'd be interested in the junior model for my son, but a $500 skate for a squirt is a bit much. It would be a different story if they could compete with the one.8, though. It would seem to make sense to produce models that could compete with the lower price points in other lines. OTOH, they could take a "no compromise" approach and say there's no other way to do it other than to do it right. I expect at some point, Easton won't want to leave money on the table that could be picked up at lower price points, though.

Since the Mako is such a different skate than anything else, I wonder if they will market downspec models in the future. Currently, it's analogous to only having the NXG available in the Supreme line. In that respect, I'd be interested in the junior model for my son, but a $500 skate for a squirt is a bit much. It would be a different story if they could compete with the one.8, though. It would seem to make sense to produce models that could compete with the lower price points in other lines. OTOH, they could take a "no compromise" approach and say there's no other way to do it other than to do it right. I expect at some point, Easton won't want to leave money on the table that could be picked up at lower price points, though.

Given the issues Easton has had with their skate line over the last few years, it's more important to get everything right, than to get every possible price point covered this year.