Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Has anyone tried skating on them without the tendon guard?

Only as a goalie skate, but I had zero problems skating from bench to the net. ;-)

• Like 1

What are the real differences of having a skate thats at this price point to say an "older" high-end skate that can be customized? Do people usually fit into something that relatively fits well and then customizes little things?

What I'm trying to understand is since these are pretty high-end at the consumer level, why wouldn't one just get a customized skate at relatively the same price?

These may be a great skate as a platform but if fit is most important why not go custom?

When you go the custom route, you are still customizing a skate and its features. This skates has features you can not get in other skates. It's that simple.

Zach

What are the real differences of having a skate thats at this price point to say an "older" high-end skate that can be customized? Do people usually fit into something that relatively fits well and then customizes little things?

What I'm trying to understand is since these are pretty high-end at the consumer level, why wouldn't one just get a customized skate at relatively the same price?

These may be a great skate as a platform but if fit is most important why not go custom?

Most manufacturers only customize their top end skates, so you would be looking at paying a premium above the price of those skates.

When you go the custom route, you are still customizing a skate and its features. This skates has features you can not get in other skates. It's that simple.

Zach

Point taken, I guess I was just trying to weigh the benefits in these features than having a skate that fits super well. Paying a premium for an 'older' (say APX1) high-end skate can be then justified.

Anyways, can't wait to try these on tomorrow.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

I wasn't sure if I should put this here but it pertains to the Mako skate so.... I've always had pain on the outside of my right foot. Always worn a D width. I now am wearing Nexus 800 which I know are more like an EE but I still have the pain. So I'm not sure width is the issue. I'm very interested in the Makos. My question is given how much they mold what is the best indicator that you need a D vs an EE? When trying them on if they feel a little tight is that ok because they will stretch? I don't think I have particularlly wide feet as all my shoes fit just fine. I have a problem that when I try skates on they usually feel pretty good. I just don't want to get an expensive skate just to find out that I needed a different width. I'm sure someone will suggest to go to a experienced skate fitter but I'm in So. California and that hasn't happened for me yet. Thanks

I wasn't sure if I should put this here but it pertains to the Mako skate so.... I've always had pain on the outside of my right foot. Always worn a D width. I now am wearing Nexus 800 which I know are more like an EE but I still have the pain. So I'm not sure width is the issue. I'm very interested in the Makos. My question is given how much they mold what is the best indicator that you need a D vs an EE? When trying them on if they feel a little tight is that ok because they will stretch? I don't think I have particularlly wide feet as all my shoes fit just fine. I have a problem that when I try skates on they usually feel pretty good. I just don't want to get an expensive skate just to find out that I needed a different width. I'm sure someone will suggest to go to a experienced skate fitter but I'm in So. California and that hasn't happened for me yet. Thanks

It's possible that you supinate a little bit and that puts pressure on the outside of your foot when you skate. As for the D/EE question, a slight pressure will bake out. Pain will not. Make sure you wear any skate you are seriously considering buying for at least 20 minutes while standing and walking before you plunk down your cash.

Most manufacturers only customize their top end skates, so you would be looking at paying a premium above the price of those skates.

While that's true, as JR said, even these have some preset shape i.e. these won't work for my AAA heels though I recognize that I am in the minority.

While that's true, as JR said, even these have some preset shape i.e. these won't work for my AAA heels though I recognize that I am in the minority.

what are you skating on?

Sure, but there is likely little to no difference in price between customizing a pair of makos (when it is available) and APX or NXG or RBZ or 9035 or ...

Thanks Chadd. I know a skate that is too wide could be worse than too narrow. It's tough for me to know how to fix the pain but I'm getting better at it. I'll take your suggestion and spend a lot of time at the store. I think I didn't stand in my skates enough in the past.

Thanks Chadd. I know a skate that is too wide could be worse than too narrow. It's tough for me to know how to fix the pain but I'm getting better at it. I'll take your suggestion and spend a lot of time at the store. I think I didn't stand in my skates enough in the past.

Most people don't. It's amazing how many people put on a skate and decide to buy without ever standing or walking in them.

what are you skating on?

Custom x60's.

Sure, but there is likely little to no difference in price between customizing a pair of makos (when it is available) and APX or NXG or RBZ or 9035 or ...

Are you implying that Easton will make custom Mako's available to the public in the future? And if so could you say if it would be within the next year?

These two statements are inconsistent and therefore leave open LobstaLOL's question of "why bother with Mako's if they cost the same as customs?"

Custom x60's.

Are you implying that Easton will make custom Mako's available to the public in the future? And if so could you say if it would be within the next year?

These two statements are inconsistent and therefore leave open LobstaLOL's question of "why bother with Mako's if they cost the same as customs?"

I would expect some type of custom program from them at some point, but that is just my opinion.

MSRP on Mako is $799

MSRP on APX2 is $849

MSRP on NXG is $799

Add custom charge to APX2 and you get $1000+

It would appear that I was wrong, Makos are cheaper than customs and I would expect custom Makos to cost roughly the same as custom Bauer skates

I dont think we have ever seen custom Easton carbon skates to consumers have we? I have a custom pair, however as far as I know, they were never offered on the retail level.

Zach

In most cases you have to have some pull somewhere, or go through a pro team. We have some guys out here who go through the Silvertips, myself included.

There was a pair of custom Makos that I saw, at least aesthetically. Had a black heel. I like the silver heel better, personally.

Most people don't. It's amazing how many people put on a skate and decide to buy without ever standing or walking in them.

Gotta love the ones who won't even lace 'em up before ruling them out.

I dont think we have ever seen custom Easton carbon skates to consumers have we? I have a custom pair, however as far as I know, they were never offered on the retail level.

Zach

Nope, nor traditionally-lasted skates. They do not have a custom retail skate program at this time, and I haven't heard anything otherwise.

As Krev said, the only way is to slide one through the pro program.

Sitting here with a pair on and cooling as I type. Box says to heat 10 mins @ 200 degrees.

interesting, both of my boxes say 16 minutes @ 200

10-12 should suffice for the average foot. Guys who need more fine tuning could do 16 or upwards.

16 minutes on the box were earlier ones, 10 minutes tends to work for the majority.

• Like 1

I find it surprising that after hearing that Easton's hockey department is struggling that they have an MSRP of $799 for the Mako. If they put it at $699 I would think they would sell many more pairs. They just can't compete with Bauer in skates. They have to sell them cheaper to have a chance IMO. The MLX skates weren't marketed all that well, but they ended up selling them for 50% off within a few months of them being released IIRC. Two of my coworkers paid $400 for their MLX's. They were happy with the skates, but they wouldn't have spent $800 on them. I know that for sure. Plus, the skates broke down completely after just over one year for both and I think one of the guys even had his replaced on warranty partway through. Hopefully the Mako's are more durable. Definitely looks like an interesting skate though. I look forward to seeing them in person and trying them on. I just wish they offered them in a C width. Why did Easton ever get rid of their narrows?

Perceived value. You price your skates below the typical market offering for a top-end, high-tech skate, and it's going to be perceived as cheap. The APX2's are priced at $849.99 according to Total Hockey and Hockey Monkey, so it's still cheaper than the next top of the line offerings from Bauer.