Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

That's easy. If you can fit in the 9 without pain, go with the 9. Always go with the smallest size that will fit your foot.

I'm really conflicted about sizing of this skate. I wear a 9 Bauer TotalOne but a 9.5 Graf. I've tried on both the 9 and 9.5 Mako and I'm conflicted. The 9 fits in the sense that my toes are against the end cap, but its not uncomfortable (obviously will open up with baking) but the 9.5 I still can feather the end of the cap. The upper of the 9.5 seems to fit me better than the 9. I'm very worried about how the 9.5 might open up too much with baking.

Go with the 9. The upper will be fine, it just won't wrap as hard around the top of your foot, which isn't the end of the world.

I always used to go by that logic, but it has lead me wrong a couple of times. For instance, a while back I bought a pair of Graf 705s. I was able to fit into them and the lacing pattern looked good. But when I got on the ice it literally felt like I was spilling over the sides of the skate. My balance was way off, particularly in turning, because it felt like I was standing on top of the skate rather than standing in the skate, almost like I had just strapped holders and blades to my feet with no boot. That's why I've been so reluctant to go with the 9

I'm a 8.5 sneaker, 8 dress shoe and a 6 in Bauer vapor x4.0

I tried on the 6 mako, hard to get in but I did. Toes were touching the front. I wanted to be sure do I tried a 5.5 (junior size). I ended up getting my foot in but I had to curl my toes to fit. I went with the 6

10 sneaker, 8.5 APX, 8.5 mako fits perfectly after baking.

im also a size 10 and the mako 8.5 was the smallest i could go that still fit me

you guys are size 10 sneakers and 8.5 skates but what size feet are you? i'm a 9.5 toe length and i usually wear size 10 sneakers, 10 dress hoes, 9.5 converse/boat shoes and sandals

and i can't decide between 8 or 8.5 makos. my x60's seem slightly too big at 8.5

you guys are size 10 sneakers and 8.5 skates but what size feet are you? i'm a 9.5 toe length and i usually wear size 10 sneakers, 10 dress hoes, 9.5 converse/boat shoes and sandals

and i can't decide between 8 or 8.5 makos. my x60's seem slightly too big at 8.5

On a Bauer foot scale, I am right at the 9 mark (if not a hair shy), but yet the Bauer 8.5 fits me perfectly lengthwise. In the APX and X:60 I thought I had a bit too much volume in the toe box (not lengthwise). The Mako is best of both worlds for me as the toes feather the toe cap and the reduction of negative space is fantastic - if you have a more voluminous foot, this may be an issue. Hope that helps.

the way i did it was i tried on the mako 8.5 and the 8 - when i put my foot in the 8 my big toe was touching the end cap enough that it was uncomfortable - so i went up a 1/2 a size and it has been perfect

the way i did it was i tried on the mako 8.5 and the 8 - when i put my foot in the 8 my big toe was touching the end cap enough that it was uncomfortable - so i went up a 1/2 a size and it has been perfect

Same here. Tried 8 and 7.5. 7.5 curled my toes, 8 was the winner. I wore an 8 in my x60s.

When trying on these skates, I couldn't get my foot into a 6.5, all my toes were tight up against the toe cap in the 7, and my big toe was feathering the toe cap in a 7.5. I went with the 7 because I knew my heel and foot would pull back with the baking. After baking my big toe is feathering the toe cap.

The footbed from the Mako to me seems more like a footbed from a running sneaker than a skate. I am currently using custom Superfeet in my Bauer's, but intend to try the Mako footbed when I start using these skates in a couple of weeks.

I recently purchased a pair of these for my son. He skated on them for the first time last night and came home complaining that he experienced some serious lace bite. He fits well into these skates very good, there is no depth issue at all. I think he might have just tied them too tight, he is coming from APXs and I think he might have thought because of the more flexible boot he needed to tie them tighter. If this is not the case what else would cause this, the tongue needing to break in? Also I have read that some have "fixed" this problem with a different insole. He has always used superfeet but with these skates we just went with the stock insole could this make a difference?

Probably like you said he cranked down on them to make them "stiffer". If he ties them normal he will be fine I have a serious volume issue and have no lace bite.

I agree.... I have volume issues as well and haven't had any lace bite.

I recently purchased a pair of these for my son. He skated on them for the first time last night and came home complaining that he experienced some serious lace bite. He fits well into these skates very good, there is no depth issue at all. I think he might have just tied them too tight, he is coming from APXs and I think he might have thought because of the more flexible boot he needed to tie them tighter. If this is not the case what else would cause this, the tongue needing to break in? Also I have read that some have "fixed" this problem with a different insole. He has always used superfeet but with these skates we just went with the stock insole could this make a difference?

Superfeet would likely make it worse as they take up more volume.

hows the stiffness of these skates? i keep hearing they aren't stiff enough from some people. I know compared to vapors or supremes they probably aren't that stiff but are they really not that stiff?

I have been a user of the MLX skates for a number of years, which were the predecessor of the Makos. One thing I have learned, is that because these skates mold so well to your foot, you do not need to crank them down like other skates. They should be snug, but you do not have to crank down on them. Tell your son to try skating with them snuggged down, but not over tightened. I would do the same as him in the past, and then once I learned that you just had to snug them down, all was right with them. Give that a shot before changing insoles or anything else. I too have volume issues with the skate, but have never experienced lace bite.

Good luck

When you sit and squeeze them in your hand, no, they do not SEEM stiff. Due to the way they are made, they will not seem "stiff" like what we have seen in the past few years, however, they are plenty stiff with your foot in the skate. I would also like to note that the more recent skates have been too stiff for almost everyone, in my opinion of course.

Zach

Edited by DEATHTRON
  • Like 1

I agree with the last few generations of skates being too stiff, that is the main reason I became interested in the makos. Players like my son are in adult sizes, he's wearing a 9.5, but are not at an adults strength level yet. Though he does well with the APX and they fit him well I think the level of stiffness in the boot is far too much for a young man that has yet to develop and is hindering his ability to skate to the best of his ability. I'm hoping that after a few months in the makos he will develop a new level of agility as well as become a more efficient skater. I just hope the level of durability is there to get at least a year of skating out of them. He is pretty hard on skates, he has been able to get 2 years of skating out of his APX, we got them right when they came out, but they look like the have been through war.

Edited by lohnman

When you sit and squeeze them in your hand, no, they do not SEEM stiff. Due to the way they are made, they will not seem "stiff" like what we have seen in the past few years, however, they are plenty stiff with your foot in the skate. I would also like to note that the more recent skates have been too stiff for almost everyone, in my opinion of course.

Zach

I have noticed a slew of injuries in recent years from teammates and guys i play against. Lots of groin, and hip flexor strains and pulls more so than ever before. I wonder if this can be attributed to skates just being way too stiff or maybe i'm just getting older =)

hows the stiffness of these skates? i keep hearing they aren't stiff enough from some people. I know compared to vapors or supremes they probably aren't that stiff but are they really not that stiff?

There is plenty of lateral stiffness, your ankle is not going to roll over in these boots. Most of the people saying that they aren't stiff enough are judging that by squeezing the ankles and seeing that they come together more than something like an NXG or APX. They are seeing a design feature that allows the boot to flex forward and interpreting it as a lack of stiffness.