Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Those skates have been baked so many times over the Easton trip its not even funny. As jsykes said, they are not worried if they break down. I side on waiting 24hrs to skate on them.

Exactly; all mfgrs do that with demo product.

True. Life of demo gear eh? Makes a more comfey demo having skates that have been used and baked multiple times. My demos at EastonLIVE hapened to be brand new and out of the box first day. News to me.....realized they werent sharpened and looked like I couldnt skate first stride. Bad on my end not checking before making the big first stride. After gathering my pride and dusting off my pants I went and grabbed a sharpened pair.

Exactly; all mfgrs do that with demo product.

Depends on who you talk to then. I have heard reps say things that I dont always agree with or hear one rep say somthing and the other somthing diferent. I know I always let my skates sit and cool overnight, cant make somebody stay off them but whats 24hrs really?

My rep says, 20 min cool down, can absolutely skate same day.

When I used them they were baked then skated on maybe 15 to 30 min later. I agree that they do feel that they were cool and I didnt feel that I was hurting the boot very much or at all. Cant argue with the man behind the boot but I'd still tell customers to wait a day, might just be me trying to be safe. Most people dont have a problem waiting overnight.

I asked my rep to verify with Dave.

I asked my rep to verify with Dave.

When we talked to him in Vegas he indicated that a day was overkill but "hours" was still recommended and going right out on the ice after baking was not.

I did re-did mine at home (trying to get rid of that rear ankle corner blister thing I'm getting) at 200 for 16 minutes in a convection oven with the oven still on and they were nowhere near as hot as when Total Hockey did them. Are some of the ovens at the stores actually hotter than 200?

Edited by AfftonDad

I did re-did mine at home (trying to get rid of that rear ankle corner blister thing I'm getting) at 200 for 16 minutes in a convection oven with the oven still on and they were nowhere near as hot as when Total Hockey did them. Are some of the ovens at the stores actually hotter than 200?

It wouldn't surprise me if ovens were somewhat inconsistent.

At the training I went to last Thurs, Dave specifically mentioned that the stiffness level decreased in accordance with sizing, so while the juniors are made of same material, their stiffness will not be the same as the seniors.

Thanks for the info. Purchased a pair at my LHS, and are they ever nice. After my son's first skate, he said they are even more comfortable than the Bauer he's been using for a year.

has anyone changed holders yet? and if so how does the boot respond or feel. I notcied a difference when I went to ls2 from cobra on my old grafs

Edited by iceman8310

has anyone changed holders yet? and if so how does the boot respond or feel. I notcied a difference when I went to ls2 from cobra on my old grafs

Tomorrow I'm putting LS2's on a pair for a MSH member. He's only changing them because he has $500 of lifetime Titanium steel in LS2. But I'm sure he'll post how they feel after he skates on them.

probably a strange question here, but want to make sure i'm not messing anything up. after my first skate on these i checked the bolts/screws what ever you want to call them on the holders that hold the steel in place. they were a little loose so i tightened them down until i couldn't turn any more. is that how tight they should be? something weird i noticed. on both skates, both holders, the rear bolts are flush with the hole they sit in. the front bolts on the outside sit pretty far in the hole, but the inside bolt sits flush like the rear bolts. just want to make sure that's cool.

Be careful not to overtighten! I haven't done it with my Makos yet but I have overtightened and broken the runners on CCMs before. That was before I knew you could get them too tight. Now I err on the conservative side. I'll tighten them until they are just starting to get a little resistance and then use them. If when walk on them a blade clicks, I'll tighten it a LITTLE bit more until it stops clicking. I would rather have to tighten a little more frequently than break a runner again.

probably a strange question here, but want to make sure i'm not messing anything up. after my first skate on these i checked the bolts/screws what ever you want to call them on the holders that hold the steel in place. they were a little loose so i tightened them down until i couldn't turn any more. is that how tight they should be? something weird i noticed. on both skates, both holders, the rear bolts are flush with the hole they sit in. the front bolts on the outside sit pretty far in the hole, but the inside bolt sits flush like the rear bolts. just want to make sure that's cool.

The bolts rest on the holder's plastic, if tightened too much the head of the bolt can sink in. But looking at the bolts inside the bigger hole around them, the front one sits further in than the rear one. I checked 3 pairs, all are the same so that's normal.

Edited by jimmy

OK, took the plunge. Got em baked at the store and couldn't stand to leave without taking them with me. First skate tomorrow after cooling for 20 hr. I doubt I'll sleep much tonight.

OK, took the plunge. Got em baked at the store and couldn't stand to leave without taking them with me. First skate tomorrow after cooling for 20 hr. I doubt I'll sleep much tonight.

what do you mean - you're not wearing them in bed whilst you sleep?

what do you mean - you're not wearing them in bed whilst you sleep?

Well, yeah, but not skating on them until tomorrow.

Seriously though, if anybody sees this that's had experience, the LHS I got em at told me they don't need to be contoured/profiled. I was a bit skeptical. It doesn't matter, I wouldn't trust them to do it anyway, but I was wondering if those who have used them still get them profiled. My guess is yes, still get them profiled.

Any feedback will be helpful. I expect the first couple skates will feel weird enough that I won't know if they need it or not.

Well, yeah, but not skating on them until tomorrow.

Seriously though, if anybody sees this that's had experience, the LHS I got em at told me they don't need to be contoured/profiled. I was a bit skeptical. It doesn't matter, I wouldn't trust them to do it anyway, but I was wondering if those who have used them still get them profiled. My guess is yes, still get them profiled.

Any feedback will be helpful. I expect the first couple skates will feel weird enough that I won't know if they need it or not.

From the difference in pitch, you might want to try them first and then see how you like the holder.

I dont know. I bought them at a shop where the guys had gone to some type of Easton work shop with Dave C. They said they got proper instruction on how to bake and spot heat afterward.

They actually baked them before I made my final decision. About 15 -20 mins baking then I sat in them for like 20. They fit so great I bought.