Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Had my first skate in them yesterday morning.

The fit of the boot is really amazing. It's the first time I felt like there was 0 negative space in the skate. I'll admit I didn't want to completely buy into the hype--even after purchasing them. However, the ability for this skate to mold to your foot is rather impressive. There was some serious pressure on my arches when I first tried them on. After baking (which the oven at the shop would only go for four minutes, the owner and I both decided to put them on after one cycle--I didn't want the heel to deepen too much) there was still slight pressure on the arch, and I was rather worried there would be some serious pain after skating. None at all.

The holder is the area of concern for me. I was really looking forward to trying these out, and I feel like I may be disappointed. The steel sort of creaks when I walk. I was concerned that it was loose, so I made sure to tighten it, and I still get slight creaks on every step. This may not be an issue in of itself, but it's concerning. On the ice, I don't feel any pressure when I step, so that's a good thing. However, when I begin to reach top "speed" I get massive speed wobbles in my right boot. I was worried this meant the holder was misaligned, similar to Chadd's, but it looks square to me. The steel also doesn't look warped at all. I'm almost convinced I just wasn't on the edge well enough, and the ice was causing it.... hoping for the best. On the plus side, the pitch was amazing. Something I have to be a bit careful with, I almost toe-picked when lazily skating around, but I felt like it helped with quick starts pretty well.

Over all, even if the holder is a bust, the way this skate fits is amazing. I don't mind putting LS2s on there at all... already have some shims ready to go.

• Like 1

Because of the extra range of motion you can get on the toe flick with the separated and flexible tendon guard, I am getting a hot spot on the rear outside corner of the boot (where it separates from the tendon guard) on both ankles. Anybody else getting this? If so what did you do about it? Other than that I think the skate is amazing (I'm still waiting for a hard shot though to see how that works out).

Because of the extra range of motion you can get on the toe flick with the separated and flexible tendon guard, I am getting a hot spot on the rear outside corner of the boot (where it separates from the tendon guard) on both ankles. Anybody else getting this? If so what did you do about it? Other than that I think the skate is amazing (I'm still waiting for a hard shot though to see how that works out).

This is happening to me too, but only on my left skate. I'm going to try using a heat gun to adjust that corner a little bit.

I did not get that on either of my skates.

Do you both wear socks?

I did... just regular cotton socks though. I'm going to go out and buy some hockey socks for tonight though. I'll probably also do a little work with a heat gun.

Ive been getting the same thing. Saw my easton rep at my game the other night, he told me to heat gun it, and really work it over. I have yet to try it. I will tomorrow when I have some time at home.Worth noting that I do not wear socks.

To whoever baked their skates for only 4 minutes: you can bake themin your oven MLX style for a total of 16. I did, it didnt hurt anything. I would reccomend a proper baking before adjusting anything else.

Zach

Ive been getting the same thing. Saw my easton rep at my game the other night, he told me to heat gun it, and really work it over. I have yet to try it. I will tomorrow when I have some time at home.Worth noting that I do not wear socks.

To whoever baked their skates for only 4 minutes: you can bake themin your oven MLX style for a total of 16. I did, it didnt hurt anything. I would reccomend a proper baking before adjusting anything else.

Zach

Zach

The boot molded fine for my foot at 4 minutes. I did not need a lot of adjustment.

Do you have low arches?

I do. Lowest arch support in the RS, and I wear converse every day. I can feel the skate supporting the arch... very stiff in the middle of my foot, but when I take the boot off, absolutely no pain what so ever.

I asked because I have low arches (but not quite flat feet), and overpronate a bit. I use Superfeet (yellow) in my One95s, and the Makos have got me curious.

How do you get along with Superfeet?

Would be nice if the LHS in Australia had these... I would like to see how they fit for my deeper volume needs. The LHS doesnt even have the Nexus line, so it will be a long while before I even get to try.

Would be nice if the LHS in Australia had these... I would like to see how they fit for my deeper volume needs. The LHS doesnt even have the Nexus line, so it will be a long while before I even get to try.

They don't have a ton of volume, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet.

How long do you need to wait in between baking and skating? I know this is weird but is 22-23 hours enough?

That's plenty of time. I baked my replacements while I was getting dressed for my game last night and the guy in the shop was trying to convince me not to wear them for the game. I didn't bother sharpening them, so there was no chance of it.

How long do you need to wait in between baking and skating? I know this is weird but is 22-23 hours enough?

I'd say 1/2-1 hour after they feel cold from inside & outside. that's what worked for my mlx

I'd say 1/2-1 hour after they feel cold from inside & outside. that's what worked for my mlx

I would wait significantly longer than that before skating in them. It doesn't make sense to risk ruining an $800 pair of skates just because you're in a hurry.

Easton says when they are cool, so I'd say 1 hr. When I went to the Mako event, they baked 50 pairs while we were going thru the lectures, then we immediately went on the ice.

I asked because I have low arches (but not quite flat feet), and overpronate a bit. I use Superfeet (yellow) in my One95s, and the Makos have got me curious.

How do you get along with Superfeet?

Sorry for the delay,

I used Superfeet Yellow in my One95s, but that was more an attempt to take up extra volume. I had no pain in them, though. I've been using stock Easton footbeds since then. The S17s were relatively flat, lowest arch support in the RS's, and now the Makos.

Easton says when they are cool, so I'd say 1 hr. When I went to the Mako event, they baked 50 pairs while we were going thru the lectures, then we immediately went on the ice.

Yeah, but they werent worried about the longevity of those skates as demos. If they're your personal skates I'd wait a bit longer just to be sure as you're paying out of pocket and it would suck if they were falling apart 6 months down the road just so you didnt have to wait a few more hours to skate in them.

Those skates have been baked so many times over the Easton trip its not even funny. As jsykes said, they are not worried if they break down. I side on waiting 24hrs to skate on them.

Edited by Tyler Roy