Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

has anyone who purchased makos had totalones in the past? I'd be interested in hearing the comparison and pros/cons that people have found

Edited by romdj
  • Like 1

has anyone who purchased makos had totalones in the past? I'd be interested in hearing the comparison and pros/cons that people have found

Yep. What do you want to know? You can read my first skate report further up the thread.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the tongue, is it replaceable? How thick is it?

Not sure about the replacement aspect but it is a medium thickness with a plastic lace bite channel. Pretty comfortable to me and thicker than my x60's tongue.

Quick question on the fit-baking of these. I tried on a 7.5 and my toes are just feathering the toe cap. In a 7 I was pretty jammed in there (like uncomfortable). After hearing how much the heal sinks in on these should I go with the 7's or the 7.5's? Note, both tried on in thin easton hockey socks.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the tongue, is it replaceable? How thick is it?

They make a big deal out of how the tongue goes all the way down... It is apparently by design to eliminate negative space in the toe box. I'm not at home so I can't look at it but I suspect it isn't stiched in like a typical tongue and if you did want to stitch in a (different) replacement tongue you would probably lose the "feature" aspect of the "goes all the way down tongue".

Edited by AfftonDad

Tomorrow I'm putting LS2's on a pair for a MSH member. He's only changing them because he has $500 of lifetime Titanium steel in LS2. But I'm sure he'll post how they feel after he skates on them.

Here’s a picture of what a Mako looks like with LS2 holders. Had I not already have 2 sets of titanium runners I would have given the CXN holder and steel a try, but I really like what I get out of my current steel. This particular runner has 2 years of sharpening on them at this point.

069tu.jpg

Jimmy used the lifts off an old pair of skates I had, so I should still have close to the original Mako pitch had I left the CXN holders on. Jimmy can best answer how the process was in switching out the holders.

Here’s a picture of what a Mako looks like with LS2 holders. Had I not already have 2 sets of titanium runners I would have given the CXN holder and steel a try, but I really like what I get out of my current steel. This particular runner has 2 years of sharpening on them at this point.

069tu.jpg

Jimmy used the lifts off an old pair of skates I had, so I should still have close to the original Mako pitch had I left the CXN holders on. Jimmy can best answer how the process was in switching out the holders.

haha, 2 yrs of sharpening and they still have all their height on them. You could probably pass those down from generation to generation. :-)

Wont happen. Apparently I'm supposed to be 'promoted' to another role that would cut my pay by 20%

I must admit that I'm really intrigued by this skate. Just went to the LHS, and their highest end skate was the lowest end Bauer supreme. "Mako, you mean the shark? Never heard of the skate?"

Yeah, but you'll get a title, right?

New member here, so hello.

Few questions for those that have a pair or have tried one on. I'm totally sold on the skate but there's no LHS that carries them here. Was wondering what size to go with because i hear conflicting reports.

Does the heel sink in? is it longer after baking? shorter after baking? I'm a 9.5 toe length foot but i usually wear 10 shoes. Some shoes like boat shoes are 9.5's, but most running shoes are 10's, dress shoes are usually 10s and my current x60's (bought used, molded to someone elses foot) are a tad too big at 8.5D.

I'm wondering if i should go with an 8D in these. On the x60's my toes don't touch the toe box at all (maybe ever so so so slightly) but i wonder if that's because it's a used skate broken in with someone else's bigger foot. :wacko:

Edited by DigiV

Quick question on the fit-baking of these. I tried on a 7.5 and my toes are just feathering the toe cap. In a 7 I was pretty jammed in there (like uncomfortable). After hearing how much the heal sinks in on these should I go with the 7's or the 7.5's? Note, both tried on in thin easton hockey socks.

If you know you're going to buy for sure then just be honest with your LHS and tell them you're not sure if you need size 7 or 7.5 and won't be positive until after they're baked. Then ask if you can have the 7's baked and if they fit well buy them. If the 7s are still too small then go with the 7.5s. From other peoples posts it sounds like some shops are letting people bake these skates before making a final decision.

I will say that I feel like I gained 1/4 size with mine. Not sure I can fit into an 8, but the way it sits, the 8 1/2 leaves my toes not feathering the toe cap like normal. Then again, it could be the ergonomic toe cap, as my index toe is my longest.

Zach

New member here, so hello.

Few questions for those that have a pair or have tried one on. I'm totally sold on the skate but there's no LHS that carries them here. Was wondering what size to go with because i hear conflicting reports.

Does the heel sink in? is it longer after baking? shorter after baking? I'm a 9.5 toe length foot but i usually wear 10 shoes. Some shoes like boat shoes are 9.5's, but most running shoes are 10's, dress shoes are usually 10s and my current x60's (bought used, molded to someone elses foot) are a tad too big at 8.5D.

I'm wondering if i should go with an 8D in these. On the x60's my toes don't touch the toe box at all (maybe ever so so so slightly) but i wonder if that's because it's a used skate broken in with someone else's bigger foot. :wacko:

9.5 foot here. I also wear size 10 shoes. 7.5D in a CCM. 8D in the Mako gives me about 1/4th of an inch to the toe after baking. The skates were difficult to get my foot into before baking.

9.5 foot here. I also wear size 10 shoes. 7.5D in a CCM. 8D in the Mako gives me about 1/4th of an inch to the toe after baking. The skates were difficult to get my foot into before baking.

So you feel they are the perfect size for you? What about your instep? i get slight lace bite with the x60's.

Edited by DigiV

1/4" is at least a half size and more likely a full size.

Perfect size for sure. No lace bite at all. I originally felt some light pressure on my arches, but that went away after baking.

It doesn't sound perfect.

hmm.. for me there's no way i'm getting into a 7.5D. I tried on a 8D pair of supremes (without baking) and felt they were a tad too small compared to my broken in X60's at 8.5D. So, if they really do mold into your foot and create length then 8's would be perfect.

Your thoughts?

Thanks, I was leaning that way.

Trukweaz?... Holy crap, is that you Kurt? Small world.

Regarding the fit, I started in a 7 and the toes brushed, then went to a 6.5 and the toes were pretty jammed. After baking though, the 6.5s fit perfect. I have an E foot in supremes and the D width in the Mako is good.

See you over on ST some time.

Steve

hmm.. for me there's no way i'm getting into a 7.5D. I tried on a 8D pair of supremes (without baking) and felt they were a tad too small compared to my broken in X60's at 8.5D. So, if they really do mold into your foot and create length then 8's would be perfect.

Your thoughts?

Go with what fits your foot, I was simply comparing his comments on them being perfect yet a 1/4" too big.

Trukweaz?... Holy crap, is that you Kurt? Small world.

Regarding the fit, I started in a 7 and the toes brushed, then went to a 6.5 and the toes were pretty jammed. After baking though, the 6.5s fit perfect. I have an E foot in supremes and the D width in the Mako is good.

See you over on ST some time.

Steve

That's me! How's it?!

Yea I might go try on the 7 again. In almost every skate I have owned a 41 (thats what the 7.5 is) is perfect. I dont mind a tiny space in front of the toe. as long as the volume and heal are good.

best.

It's possible that it's less than 1/4'' then, I didn't really measure it with any accuracy. My foot started right against the toe of the skate pre-baking. After baking, there was a little bit of room. I might have overstated perfect, but they didn't have 7 3/4 size available :)

Edited by jazzyjoey

I'm really conflicted about sizing of this skate. I wear a 9 Bauer TotalOne but a 9.5 Graf. I've tried on both the 9 and 9.5 Mako and I'm conflicted. The 9 fits in the sense that my toes are against the end cap, but its not uncomfortable (obviously will open up with baking) but the 9.5 I still can feather the end of the cap. The upper of the 9.5 seems to fit me better than the 9. I'm very worried about how the 9.5 might open up too much with baking.