Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Hah, I called it :) I just watched this hilarious video of a guy spraying his entire CAR with plastidip, so it was in my head as I saw those skates.

Let us know how it holds up, superchad.

Skates came in today. I gotta say they look way better in person and i don't think i'll even black out the heel. Prob just add some black laces though.

The 8D lengthwise seems to be the right choice for me however it's literally impossible to get my foot in the boot right now unbaked. I also have a bit of volume issue in the forefoot, i can't even tie the laces. I hear all this will go away after baking? I really hope so.

Skates came in today. I gotta say they look way better in person and i don't think i'll even black out the heel. Prob just add some black laces though.

The 8D lengthwise seems to be the right choice for me however it's literally impossible to get my foot in the boot right now unbaked. I also have a bit of volume issue in the forefoot, i can't even tie the laces. I hear all this will go away after baking? I really hope so.

Don't fret, after baking, whole new world...I could barely get my foot in prior to baking

Goes away after baking. 200 degrees, 16 minutes. 8 minutes per side. Enjoy.

Goes away after baking. 200 degrees, 16 minutes. 8 minutes per side. Enjoy.

200 degrees, 16 mins for both, not 8 each side. Also, 16 min is preferred, 10 mins is for shops who want to cut corners.

200 degrees, 16 mins for both, not 8 each side. Also, 16 min is preferred, 10 mins is for shops who want to cut corners.

10 minutes is on the box now and the official instruction from Easton

It may go away after baking, but it may not if the problem is really severe.

I saw your picture... not nearly as bad as yours but then again yours was up top, mine is down low.

So.. which should i go with? i've heard 10 is sufficient and that is why easton went with that but 16 is really what they should be?

I was told this change was just to make it easier on the stores. Personally, I think they are more pliable with 16mins. But def 8 min per skaye is not enough.

Chadd

10 min for both? How time for 1 skate baking in oven?

I wouldn't bake them in a home oven.

I saw your picture... not nearly as bad as yours but then again yours was up top, mine is down low.

So.. which should i go with? i've heard 10 is sufficient and that is why easton went with that but 16 is really what they should be?

I baked two pair, one at 16 minutes and one at 10. I think the fit is actually better on the pair that was baked for 10 minutes.

All the ones I've done for customers,including mine were done at 16min, all came out perfect. I'll be doing them at that temp until Easton says different.

• Like 1

There seems to be some confusion with the baking in this thread, namely when it comes to "each side". When the MLX skates came out there were instructions posted on you tube how to properly bake them in a home oven. In that video, users were instructed to bake both skates for 8 minutes, then flip each skate over ( hence the each side comment), and then bake for an additional 8 minutes. So when Krev says 8 minutes each side, he is not referring to right or left skate, but rather both sides of a single skate.

Now whether the optimal is 10 or 16 minutes, I am not sure, but I baked mine just as I did my MLX before, in a home oven at 200 degrees, 8 minutes each side. The molding went flawlessly.

For those of you interested in the Mako skates, you should really check out MLX's YouTube page. Many of the Makos skates attributes are extremely similar to the MLX, and there is good info, just sitting there. Besides the heating question I addressed in this page, there was a section on properly tieing these skates, and the fact that you don't need to crank them down like traditional skates. There is also a good video that shows you how to spot heat an area of the skate, etc. lots of good info there.

Edited by chrisg19

MLX skate baking instructions took into account that most users baking in a home oven would not be using a convection oven. If the shop baking the skate is using a preheated skate oven, then the 10-minute mark would probably be enough time. Having said that, I've seen some shops start the oven, place the skates in,and set the timer for what's on the box.

MLX skate baking instructions took into account that most users baking in a home oven would be using a convection oven. If the shop baking the skate is using a preheated skate oven, then the 10-minute mark would probably be enough time. Having said that, I've seen some shops start the oven, place the skates in,and set the timer for what's on the box.

I don't think I've EVER seen a shop pre-heat the skate oven.

What really? That was standard procedure at my old store. I thought everyone who wasn't cutting corners did it.

What really? That was standard procedure at my old store. I thought everyone who wasn't cutting corners did it.

Yep never, whether its my skates or I just happen to be in the store while somebody else is being fitted.