Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolfpack_1986

Warrior Covert QR1

...I also noticed a "big difference" in wall thickness compared to my Mako II(which seems close to standard across the board)...turned out to be about 0.32mm thinner. I notice stuff like that *shrug*

Edit: The difference in weight of that same Mako II(with same pattern as QR1), is only a 31 gram difference at the same length plus tape/wax...something worth noting but I don't think you'd be able to tell on the ice.

How much does the tape/wax weigh? It sounds like the Mako II is almost the same if you correct for that.

Except, that weight has been done before. Not trying to rain on that parade, just don't want people thinking that this weight class stick is new. In fact, its almost 10 years ago that the first stick came out at this weight class. It also had a hell of a release.

Zach

Sure, there have been lighter sticks around but sacrificing feeling & durability for the sake didn't turn out to be working well.

I didn't see too many people commenting on the original stealth and before that, the xn10, had poor durability and feeling. I think we would be best served seeing the reviews roll in on how durable the QR1's are. Thinner shaft walls has me thinking that they very well might break easier.

Zach

How much does the tape/wax weigh? It sounds like the Mako II is almost the same if you correct for that.

About 25 grams. The weight difference is fully dressed. The Warrior is slightly more blade heavy(though it isn't what I'd call blade heavy).

In regards to the weight class...all the "395 gram" 05 Stealth I have had weighed more than 400 grams and came with a 3" plug that didn't account for weight.

...but this shouldn't all be about weight. I found the stick to live up to the claims of a quick release and it kicked hard. Puck feel; it wasn't one95 good but it was good, not "pingy."

I didn't see too many people commenting on the original stealth and before that, the xn10, had poor durability and feeling. I think we would be best served seeing the reviews roll in on how durable the QR1's are. Thinner shaft walls has me thinking that they very well might break easier.

Zach

The XN10 feel issue was with the first generation prepreg blades, those were terrible. Every manufacturer has a better feeling blade at this point.

Can still get a good backhand off with a big hook, just not as easy.

Most of the kids (and that is who drives sales) don't bother using a backhand. All they care about is being able to lift the puck to the top corner and it's easier to have equipment that does it for you than it is to work on your technique.

Most of the kids (and that is who drives sales) don't bother using a backhand. All they care about is being able to lift the puck to the top corner and it's easier to have equipment that does it for you than it is to work on your technique.

True. I don't see a lot of youth hockey these days, so I forget about those trends for the most part. And I can't say I'd be able to release decent backhands without having worked with different patterns, including some pretty straight ones.

My coach doesn't even want us to use our backhands, in fact he tells us not to. He says that if we clear the puck on our backhand, it won't get out of the zone and it'll end up in the back of our net, and if we try to shoot on our backhand, it won't be a good shot, an easy save for the goalie.

I can't really argue against that either, almost no kid/teen had a good backhand. The only time I use my backhand is deking, and occasionally passing the puck.

My coach doesn't even want us to use our backhands, in fact he tells us not to. He says that if we clear the puck on our backhand, it won't get out of the zone and it'll end up in the back of our net, and if we try to shoot on our backhand, it won't be a good shot, an easy save for the goalie.

I can't really argue against that either, almost no kid/teen had a good backhand. The only time I use my backhand is deking, and occasionally passing the puck.

Well maybe he should do some backhand drills with you guys instead of exasperating the issue. a good backhand can be a deadly tool.

If you can't clear the zone on a backhand or make a decent backhand pass under pressure, you're incredibly vulnerable to the other team's forecheck, especially if the notice the reluctance to use the backhand. Not saying clearing the zone is easy on a backhand, just that it's definitely a tool one should aim for.

That Sidney Crosby guy is ineffective with his backhand!

This is the frustrating part about youth hockey. Coaches only want to win and a lot of times they do it at the expense of their players' development. I could go on a long rant about this but I don't want to divert too much from the main topic which is the warrior qr.

Regardless, its just super frustrating that all retail patterns are trending to huge hooks now. I don't blame the manufacturers, its what the markets have demanded...it's just silly that we're trending that way. There are a lot of players that use big curves very effectively, but there are also a lot of players that use very mild curves effectively.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

That Sidney Crosby guy is ineffective with his backhand!

This is the frustrating part about youth hockey. Coaches only want to win and a lot of times they do it at the expense of their players' development. I could go on a long rant about this but I don't want to divert too much from the main topic which is the warrior qr.

Regardless, its just super frustrating that all retail patterns are trending to huge hooks now. I don't blame the manufacturers, its what the markets have demanded...it's just silly that we're trending that way. There are a lot of players that use big curves very effectively, but there are also a lot of players that use very mild curves effectively.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

As long companies keep making modano/forsberg clones, I'm happy.

I would love to be sold on a warrior stick, but they just haven't won me over yet. i can't get past the feel, of which bauer has me hooked on.

which Warrior twigs have you tried out?