Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I usually go barefeet, but I find I end up wearing out my skates sooner than I should.

Just wondering what skate socks people generally wear or think are the best. I'm thinking the thinner the better.

I used to swear by the now defunct Adidas All-Sport socks even though I've seen mayflies with longer life spans. Ordinary Bauer skate socks are okay, but the super-tight cut makes them something of a headache (or is it footache?) to get on and off. They also have a nasty habit of becoming "slick" after sopping up sweat, and if your skate is even the teeniest bit too wide or long, you'll know it. I switched to Swiftwick Aspires last year and haven't looked back.

The Swiftwick's look great (from their site anyway). I've also heard that Thinees are good from a couple guys in our room for those who like the ultra thin feel. I'm going to check out the Elite Bamboo's as well.

Appreciate the input fellas.

I wear the light grey Easton socks, because they're super thin, and being in Makos there's really not much room in there.

For goalie skates I have more room, and wear Swiftwick Aspire 4, because I like the compression and REALLY like the double thickness 5" ankle cuff protecting my leg from the potential irritation from the top edges of my goalie skates.

Now that my Makos are a bit more broken in, I'm thinking of trying the Aspire in those too, but it's hard to convince yourself to switch from something you're happy with at the risk of having a bad game because my feet hurt.

The Aspire double thickness compression cuff is FANTASTIC:

aspire-four-black-compression-socks-1079

Edited by OptimusReim

A problem I always have is my leg hair just above my ankles seem to find their way through holes in the material and get pulled up and down as I play causing some irritation.

I think it's best to go with a cut-resistant sock, to avoid a gruesome skate cut injury. I've tried both Bauer and Swiftwick and they were both good. There are a few other choices as well (though I haven't tried those). Easton socks are very thin, if you want a thin sock.

Bumping this bc I go through diff socks like no one's business.  Thinees were way too thin. The UA hockey liner is comfy but a bit too much padding in the sole and heel than I like bc it feels a bit bunchy in my heel with skates on. Once they wear a bit and get a bit thin I really like them though. 

Tried Hanes cotton over calf socks which are decent esp for the price but maybe a touch on the thick side. 

I want to try swiftwick... But looking at Howie's new skate socks, they almost looks identical. Can someone confirm whether the Howie's socks are actually made by swiftwick??

https://swiftwick.com/collections/hockey

https://howieshockeytape.ca/collections/skate-socks/products/pro-style-skate-socks

I have been trying the Pearsox Ultralite and Thinees.  The Thinees are soft like cotton but still synthetic.  The do pill a bit but doesn’t affect performance

The Pearsox are standard nylon like cheap dress socks.  They can feel a little rough but seem to be softening a bit.  Their sizing is out of whack though.  I am 6’3” with an 11 1/2 foot.  The adult size comes halfway up my thigh.  I can wear the intermediate but the youth also fits fine.  The mite is too big for my son, too much material in the foot for his size 2 1/2 foot so he wears the Thinees.

Edited by BenBreeg

Elite Pro-Liner Coolmax skate socks. Ten bucks at IceWarehouse. I searched through many a sock to find something this thin yet durable.  They used to be branded CCM. I bought 3 pairs in case they discontinued them.

Verbero Mercury socks are super comfortable and often go on sale for 50% off. Thicker sock compared to the really thin ones though.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm staying away from socks that are ultra thin like thinees as I've already tried those and don't like them.  All I'm really looking for is a sock that's not too thick like athletic socks but not as thin as thinees...

Biggest thing is that they aren't super slick like some polyester socks can be since my skate liners are clarino and the two materials together seem to cause some slippage. 

My UA liners are actually perfect once worn in a bit and the socks roughen up on the outside a bit and aren't so smooth and soft .. but I wanted to see if there was something that wild fit that way out of box. I might be SOL..

1 hour ago, clarkiestooth said:

Elite Pro-Liner Coolmax skate socks. Ten bucks at IceWarehouse. I searched through many a sock to find something this thin yet durable.  They used to be branded CCM. I bought 3 pairs in case they discontinued them.

I like these too