Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

You should be fine. Just punch the area out and/or roll the boot trim outward a bit. If that fails, your gel pad idea should do the trick. Not surprisingly, this sounds exactly like the Mako problem (after all, they both are built similar to the MLX skate).

Edited by mc88

Similar problems were brought up with MLX, just roll the top of the boot out slightly with a heat gun. I did this before anything happened and never had a problem.

The concept of the skate is if stuff like this happens then you can fix it with the heat gun.

I've had VH skates since November '13. Some things I have to say:

I baked them for about 8 minutes at a proshop before checking and seeing that they were heated up and moldable to my satisfaction. In retrospect I wish i would have kept them in the oven for at least 12 minutes because I had a hard time getting the heel to open up to really accommodate my foot and I'm debating wether or not to bake them again after all this time because my heel on my left skate doesn't always sit flush. I should probably by a heat gun and address that issue individually but I'm open to any advice.

I also didn't realize I could have stood while they molded to my feet, I think I should have done that because I do have flat feet that expand when I stand and it makes the boot feel a bit narrow (since the wrap is really terrific) so perhaps standing while letting the Skates mold and cool down would have been more beneficial to me and I wouldn't hesitate to tie my skates tighter around my feet to avoid discomfort.

When I did the tracing of my foot I did it barefoot but it may have been a good idea to measure the circumference while wearing the socks i use for hockey.

I've had a few troubles with the rivets being loose by the toes of my skates and have taken them to my local proshop to get corrected. At the same time I do work as a coach and am on my skates for nearly 25+ hours a week wearing my skates for long periods of time.

Regarding performance I am more than satisfied. I think any one who plays a lot of hockey and is done growing should invest in a pair of VH skates even if not the full-custom route just for the mold-ability alone. The coaches I work with are waiting for me to have a full year with the skates to monitor the durability before they choose to invest in VH themselves just because they are intrigued and impressed with the build quality, stiffness, weight, and custom fit.

The graphics have been mired and worn with as a result of a mix between mens league and working with small children. I'll take pictures tomorrow of some damage the boots have taken where it appears that surface layers are peeling off. I pray this is strictly cosmetic.

So, this just started happening:

cG80MG7.jpg?1

Mine just arrived, still have to have a look at them, but I actually requested a 'comfort edge' like on APX skates there, hopefully that'll avoid it. My Bauers were doing the same thing (bruising) for a while.

For those interested, took 13 days from order to doorstep.

Best,

Mike

I've had VH skates since November '13. Some things I have to say:

I baked them for about 8 minutes at a proshop before checking and seeing that they were heated up and moldable to my satisfaction. In retrospect I wish i would have kept them in the oven for at least 12 minutes because I had a hard time getting the heel to open up to really accommodate my foot and I'm debating wether or not to bake them again after all this time because my heel on my left skate doesn't always sit flush. I should probably by a heat gun and address that issue individually but I'm open to any advice.

I also didn't realize I could have stood while they molded to my feet, I think I should have done that because I do have flat feet that expand when I stand and it makes the boot feel a bit narrow (since the wrap is really terrific) so perhaps standing while letting the Skates mold and cool down would have been more beneficial to me and I wouldn't hesitate to tie my skates tighter around my feet to avoid discomfort.

When I did the tracing of my foot I did it barefoot but it may have been a good idea to measure the circumference while wearing the socks i use for hockey.

I've had a few troubles with the rivets being loose by the toes of my skates and have taken them to my local proshop to get corrected. At the same time I do work as a coach and am on my skates for nearly 25+ hours a week wearing my skates for long periods of time.

Regarding performance I am more than satisfied. I think any one who plays a lot of hockey and is done growing should invest in a pair of VH skates even if not the full-custom route just for the mold-ability alone. The coaches I work with are waiting for me to have a full year with the skates to monitor the durability before they choose to invest in VH themselves just because they are intrigued and impressed with the build quality, stiffness, weight, and custom fit.

The graphics have been mired and worn with as a result of a mix between mens league and working with small children. I'll take pictures tomorrow of some damage the boots have taken where it appears that surface layers are peeling off. I pray this is strictly cosmetic.

would something like flex seal or rhino or even plastidip work on the surface layers and the toe cap area?

Edited by iceman8310

would something like flex seal or rhino or even plastidip work on the surface layers and the toe cap area?

I'm not really sure. I imagine it would add to the weight though. I'm not really having a hard time with the carbon toe cap though. Every one should be mindful of the tongue screw as it does have the potential to get loose and is a pain in the neck when trying to reassemble it.

I should be back from the rink in 3 hours. I'll post a picture of some of the cosmetic damage I have.

Mine just arrived, still have to have a look at them, but I actually requested a 'comfort edge' like on APX skates there, hopefully that'll avoid it. My Bauers were doing the same thing (bruising) for a while.

Very good to know that's an option. I think I'll request that too. I wonder if Scott has a "hidden menu" of available custom options, or if its more just by request. Eg. I didn't know having your number embroidered was an option, either.

mc88 those are FANTASTIC photos, and IMO you should send them to Scott to put on the VH website. They're seriously pro quality shots.

Very good to know that's an option. I think I'll request that too. I wonder if Scott has a "hidden menu" of available custom options, or if its more just by request. Eg. I didn't know having your number embroidered was an option, either.

mc88 those are FANTASTIC photos, and IMO you should send them to Scott to put on the VH website. They're seriously pro quality shots.

I don't know of a menu, I just asked whether it's possible and he said no problem. I figured if it's custom, I may as well ask for custom features. I'll put pictures up later tonight of mine (didn't look at them myself yet).

• Like 1

I don't know of a menu, I just asked whether it's possible and he said no problem. I figured if it's custom, I may as well ask for custom features. I'll put pictures up later tonight of mine (didn't look at them myself yet).

Anyone have the shot blockers built in yet?

Anyone have the shot blockers built in yet?

BUILT IN!? I was thinking about getting some. All-carbon fiber boot won't exactly block shots that well. Just would excellently transfer all that energy straight to the foot.

BUILT IN!? I was thinking about getting some. All-carbon fiber boot won't exactly block shots that well. Just would excellently transfer all that energy straight to the foot.

Mark Stuart says his are built in (one or both of the videos previously in the thread)

476514499_slide.jpg

It doesn't appear to make the skate look that different. Thinking the shot blockers are literally built in, hidden underneath the otherwise normal surface of the boot.

IMG_8722_zps2da4c8c5.jpg

IMG_7365_zpsd4abc9cf.jpg

IMG_6878_zps09575880.jpg

IMG_1863_zps716b99d4.jpgSome shots of the wear I've encountered through 4 months of use and ownership. Near the toe cap some of the material is coming up and appears strictly to be paper-like decals kind of rising. Once again, something I hope to be strictly cosmetic and not structural.

Fourth photo I'm not really sure how to describe. It's at the top of the boot where there appears to be a small separation. Not sure if that has to do with the stitching or not.

Edited by Speedz98

IMG_8722_zps2da4c8c5.jpg

IMG_7365_zpsd4abc9cf.jpg

IMG_6878_zps09575880.jpg

IMG_1863_zps716b99d4.jpgSome shots of the wear I've encountered through 4 months of use and ownership. Near the toe cap some of the material is coming up and appears strictly to be paper-like decals kind of rising. Once again, something I hope to be strictly cosmetic and not structural.

Fourth photo I'm not really sure how to describe. It's at the top of the boot where there appears to be a small separation. Not sure if that has to do with the stitching or not.

You might want to contact Scott. You may still fall under the 6 month warranty period. I suspect the tears/scratches/cracks will not be covered (use and abuse over time). However the toe cap shouldn't be coming off the boot. That's not acceptable.

You might want to contact Scott. You may still fall under the 6 month warranty period. I suspect the tears/scratches/cracks will not be covered (use and abuse over time). However the toe cap shouldn't be coming off the boot. That's not acceptable.

It's not really the toecap, its right before it, more so by the eyelet.

I definitely have the option to return the skates to SVH for repairs but the only problem is I can't afford to take that time off from work and not be on ice. Since I'm in NJ I assume it's going to take nearly two weeks to get the skates repaired and back from Canada.

I definitely have the option to return the skates to SVH for repairs but the only problem is I can't afford to take that time off from work and not be on ice. Since I'm in NJ I assume it's going to take nearly two weeks to get the skates repaired and back from Canada.

Ask him anyway, if he has to make a new boot for you perhaps he could advance it to you? Worth asking, at least.

Buy a pair of cheapos as back ups.

Did you get sliced by a skate up there? It looks like the leather and stitching got cut.

Did you get sliced by a skate up there? It looks like the leather and stitching got cut.

Could be, I don't recall such a particular event but I know during mens league I find myself getting obliterated by goonery at times so it's not unlikely. In which case, pretty scary to think about.

to the cali vh users...

how did scott ship skates? USPS? UPS? Fedex?

I'm in NJ, but they were shipped via USPS, who made sure to damage the box. Skates were perfectly fine though, no issues and must have been very quick shipping.

to the cali vh users...

how did scott ship skates? USPS? UPS? Fedex?

Scott shipped mine in an inverted CCM Intruder Jr 2D box, haha. But yeah, Canada Post hands it off to USPS. Took about 3 days in transit to reach me. Shipped Saturday, delivered Tuesday.