Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Thanks; now to justify this purchase to girlfriend.

Also, note that it's CDN $. Price with shipping (Skate + Holder, no Runner) came out at $880 CDN which turned into $820 US. Just FYI.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, it's what one as a business owner wants his/her final product to look like. If leaving the product to look the way mc88's do, then so be it.

One as a business owner also might consider not disparaging other business owners publicly. Just saying.

This conversation is becoming a waste of time for all involved.

So, because I'm a business owner, I can't state my opinion? It's far from disparaging; it's what I as a consumer would expect.

I considered buying a VH skate about the time GiancarloSFL (did I get that right?) got his because of my foot problems. I decided to go a different route for various reasons.

iceman brings up a good point, of they're good enough for an NHLer, they're good enough for a beer leaguer. I'd agree with that, however, I guess my perception of a product being "finished" includes its aesthetics.

But you're not just stating your opinion. Look at your previous posts - you brought up your own business in order to compare its (undoubtedly high-level) QC to what you perceive and argue to be the inferior QC at VH. And dare I say, your perception of a "finished" product may be biased by your experience with your own business which by its nature does demand a more "polished" product.

I'm just pretty surprised that a couple people saying they had an appreciation for the, I don't know what to call it, "rustic" aesthetic has produced such a reaction and so many negative insinuations.

I think Marcelo makes valid points regarding the attitude of a business towards its products. Every product that goes out the door tells the customer something. A business has to decide what it wants that product to say to the customer. Obviously, each customer decides how important the appearance of the product is to him, and what that appearance implies, and leads him to infer from it.

Regardless of how some customers may look at it, it's not unreasonable to think that a business owner should take pride in the apparent details of his product, and to believe that these show something about the company's attitude toward manufacturing, and the care it takes with the details that are not apparent.

• Like 1

Over the past few years I've had 5 different skates from different manufactures trying to find a skate that doesn't hurt me. All of them looked great. All of the hurt like hell. My VH skates feel amazing. For me, like wearing tight slippers. I personally like the imperfect look of them but they do have the problems mentioned. But no pain. I don't even think about my skates anymore. So as far as I'm concerned, I could care less about these small issues compared to the overall fit and performance I am getting from the skates.

Unfortunately, my business and personal opinion do cross paths at times. So, in your eyes, that would preclude me from having an opinion about ANY product, hockey or otherwise. Doesn't seem right, but, I get what you're saying.

Not at all. We all have opinions and if we didn't exchange them this forum would suck. But I think it would be wise (and fairer) to avoid bringing up your own business as a point of comparison, and to recognize why a small cosmetic flaw on the VH skates would be less of an issue than a similar flaw on a jersey that you might produce.

At this stage in their venture into the hockey skate market, I think some of the cosmetic things being discussed are acceptable. Sure, Bauer will make you a custom skate that looks nice and clean, but it will cost you $200-$300 more than a pair of VH. You won't get to speak directly to the bootmaker and he/she most certainly will not personally make revisions to the boot until you're satisfied. Like all things, you get what you pay for and in this case if you use market value to determine what your'e paying for, then you're not paying for a pristine skate. What you are paying for is an exceptionally performing/fitting skate and what appears to be first-rate customer service with a personal touch. If Scott continues to grow the business, he's going to have to address the cosmetics issue, but we as consumers will undoubtedly have to pay more.

Can we all get back on point and talk about the product and not bash everyone please. The last two pages has just turned into nonsense. Nothing educational. Most of the people on here are adults so why don't we act like it. If you unhappy with a product, bring it up with the manufacturer. Try to find a solution then share your thoughts. How many were happy right away with the LS edge holder? There seems the need to bash anyone trying something new rather than embracing change. Don't bash just for the sake of bashing. Have constructive criticism so we can all learn from your experience.

Thanks

Edited by iceman8310
  • Like 2

It's tough being a small business in the US and/or Canada. I feel for Scott and many others that struggle to be in business domestically, especially those of us here in California.

Tough is an understatement, I cannot imagine how difficult things are in California. Managing our businesses in Detroit and the surrounding areas are more than enough for me.

At this stage in their venture into the hockey skate market, I think some of the cosmetic things being discussed are acceptable. Sure, Bauer will make you a custom skate that looks nice and clean, but it will cost you $200-$300 more than a pair of VH. You won't get to speak directly to the bootmaker and he/she most certainly will not personally make revisions to the boot until you're satisfied. Like all things, you get what you pay for and in this case if you use market value to determine what your'e paying for, then you're not paying for a pristine skate. What you are paying for is an exceptionally performing/fitting skate and what appears to be first-rate customer service with a personal touch. If Scott continues to grow the business, he's going to have to address the cosmetics issue, but we as consumers will undoubtedly have to pay more.

My Bauer customs weren't fully nice and clean, just an FYI. There were some of the glue issues around the toe cap and the stitching wasn't pristene either. I certainly understand where mc88 is coming from as my knee jerk reaction was "1100 for this?" as well. At the same time, I knew they were handmade so I let it slide. No structural issues to report nearly a year later though.

Seems like I see alot of guys looking for "pro-stock" equipment ..most if not all have the following disclaimer ...."Due to the nature of pro stock gloves, gloves may have minor cosmetic blemishes"

Wouldn't this apply here?...I can see both sides off the issue, but I seems to me if your buying an $800+ retail skate or a custom made skate for basically the same price?.. I would hope the cosmetics would be up to par,but still understand if it wasnt as I would catagorize these skates as a "pro-stock"/custom piece of equipment.....

By the way...the only thing that really turned me off about the pics of those skates are the screws.....gotta be a better way I would think

Now mind you... Ive been a cement finisher for 25 years and have done hundreds of driveways for people and would never let my "equivalent" of these blemishes pass on my work. Im a big believer in "sweating the small stuff" when your being paid for a product or service.

Just wanted to chime in and say, since wearing the VH's to my local hockey rink, I've gotten a lot of looks, a lot of questions, and a lot of compliments. People immediately realize that these don't match anything else you're going to see on shelves.

Since e-mailing Scott, I went ahead and fixed the excess glue. I managed to get most, if not all of it off. The only downside was that I had to spend about 3-4 hours on my day off using masking tape and a utility knife to scrape it off. However, now I can say, not only do they feel professionally made, they look professionally made! And they're getting noticed.

Some Logistical questions about the skate.

Does VH footwear send them out sharpened if you'd like? I suppose I could email scott but I'd rather not clutter his inbox with this question. Anyone know?

I don't live too close to a decent sharpener and if I have a week or so to bake, testfit, and skate in them all while working 60-70hours a week it might be difficult.

Edited by uclaman

I couldn't find it on Total Hockey's site... Weird.

Weird indeed - we do have plenty of stock in them throughout stores; I'll point that out to Supply Chain. Or you can call the number and order them that way.

So, this just started happening:

cG80MG7.jpg?1

Have you tried doing this?

If it's not inside the boot and it's the boot trim, you may have to roll it out. I think the Makos do something similar... Where the trim digs into the ankle.

Edited by mc88

I'm going to pick up a heat gun tonight and try bending it out. I have some gel pads I could adhere to the inside of the boot, too. That rub is through a sock, too.

What kind of sock? Compression? Kevlar? Standard?