Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

11 hours ago, G14 said:

I’m 9 in Bauer and 8.5 in the TF7, even pre-bake. Try both your CCM/Bauer size and -0.5 in the TF7 if you can. I’m glad I did thanks to @Hillsawesome review! 

My son and I have similar results. Both half, (0.5), (1/2) size smaller in tf7 than bauer vapors. 

• Like 1

Picked up the TF7 in 8R and 8.5R; ended up preferring the fit of the 8 so I baked them and am having a trouble spot on the instep right below the logo running down to the blue striping as shown here:

TF7 Trouble Spot

It feels like the boot has a big bump in it which is most noticeable when standing up and it sits on the side of my foot in the middle of my arch. Dropping into hockey stance makes it mostly go away. Anyone else experience this and have a recommendation on how to address it? Left foot is worse than the right but it's an issue in both skates. It wasn't as prevalent before baking and I have tried swapping out the insoles with thinner ones to see if that helped, it did not. I put the unbaked 8.5 on and noticed it in that pair as well. Beside this the boots feel great and I love how much they mold to my foot. For reference I'm home baking in a convection oven set to 170 for 6 minutes and following the wrap instructions (lace at 70% tightness, wrap, 5 minutes sitting, stand briefly, 5 more minutes sitting, unwrap and roll top eyelet area for easy on/off). The instructions call for oven set to 180 but my oven thermometer shows my oven runs hotter than set and I didn't want to risk damaging them.

57 minutes ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

Picked up the TF7 in 8R and 8.5R; ended up preferring the fit of the 8 so I baked them and am having a trouble spot on the instep right below the logo running down to the blue striping as shown here:

TF7 Trouble Spot

It feels like the boot has a big bump in it which is most noticeable when standing up and it sits on the side of my foot in the middle of my arch. Dropping into hockey stance makes it mostly go away. Anyone else experience this and have a recommendation on how to address it? Left foot is worse than the right but it's an issue in both skates. It wasn't as prevalent before baking and I have tried swapping out the insoles with thinner ones to see if that helped, it did not. I put the unbaked 8.5 on and noticed it in that pair as well. Beside this the boots feel great and I love how much they mold to my foot. For reference I'm home baking in a convection oven set to 170 for 6 minutes and following the wrap instructions (lace at 70% tightness, wrap, 5 minutes sitting, stand briefly, 5 more minutes sitting, unwrap and roll top eyelet area for easy on/off). The instructions call for oven set to 180 but my oven thermometer shows my oven runs hotter than set and I didn't want to risk damaging them.

Which arch inserts are u using low medium or high?  Can u feel these bumps even if u tie them somewhat loosely?  Can u feel this "bump" with your fingers inside the boot? If not it could be your foot and not the actual boot. Especially if you say you feel it with both skates, it's less likely a manufacturing defect. 

What I'd do is tie them snug , somewhere in the area of how you would during game play.  Then use a heat gun and spot heat that area just enough so it softens. Be careful not to overheat and don't just point the gun into the area and hold it there. Fan it back and forth a bit holding it a few inches away. That area when soft should relax and it should be enough to have the problem area loosen up just enough. This is assuming that this area is too tight and or has an area that doesn't conform to your door shape in that spot. 

You can also do the tissue method by putting a small shim in the form of packed tissue on ur foot where u feel the pressure. Heat gun the area u posted, put the skates on, and the shim will create space with the softened area of the boot. 

Both these methods prevent u having to rebake. 

I personally think the issue may be because the boots are stock and the baking instructions are only 6 mins. Far less than custom trues, so they don't get quite as malleable as the customs so some oddities between ur foot and the stock skate isn't resolved as well as if the boot were baked longer and softer. That's why I like the heat gun method. You can attack the exact area causing u problems. 

Of course there are many other reasons causing the discomfort like ur actual arch vs the arch of the skate. That's why I would fiddle with the arch inserts and even leave tension  first before going with the heat gun.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Which arch inserts are u using low medium or high?  Can u feel these bumps even if u tie them somewhat loosely?  Can u feel this "bump" with your fingers inside the boot? If not it could be your foot and not the actual boot. Especially if you say you feel it with both skates, it's less likely a manufacturing defect. 

What I'd do is tie them snug , somewhere in the area of how you would during game play.  Then use a heat gun and spot heat that area just enough so it softens. Be careful not to overheat and don't just point the gun into the area and hold it there. Fan it back and forth a bit holding it a few inches away. That area when soft should relax and it should be enough to have the problem area loosen up just enough. This is assuming that this area is too tight and or has an area that doesn't conform to your door shape in that spot. 

You can also do the tissue method by putting a small shim in the form of packed tissue on ur foot where u feel the pressure. Heat gun the area u posted, put the skates on, and the shim will create space with the softened area of the boot. 

I personally think the issue may be because the boots are stock and the baking instructions are only 6 mins. Far less than custom trues, so they don't get quite as malleable as the customs so some oddities between ur foot and the stock skate isn't resolved as well as if the boot were baked longer and softer. That's why I like the heat gun method. You can attack the exact area causing u problems. 

Of course there are many other reasons causing the discomfort like ur actual arch vs the arch of the skate. That's why I would fiddle with the arch inserts and even leave tension  first before going with the heat gun.

Thank you for the thorough response! In hindsight when I said arch I should have said midfoot as the pressure point is above the actual arch on the side of the foot. I was using low arch but I'll give the inserts a try and see if they help at all. There is a dimple present on the outside of the boot and I can feel it protruding inside as well, it was noticeable during the baking process too. I had never noticed anything odd about my foot in that spot before and checking again I still didn't notice anything. I'll give your suggestions a go and report back.

1 hour ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

Thank you for the thorough response! In hindsight when I said arch I should have said midfoot as the pressure point is above the actual arch on the side of the foot. I was using low arch but I'll give the inserts a try and see if they help at all. There is a dimple present on the outside of the boot and I can feel it protruding inside as well, it was noticeable during the baking process too. I had never noticed anything odd about my foot in that spot before and checking again I still didn't notice anything. I'll give your suggestions a go and report back.

Spot heat the area with a heat gun and push the dimple out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

44 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Spot heat the area with a heat gun and push the dimple out.

Spent some time working on the skates and the inserts are definitely not the issue. Got my heat gun out and pushed on that spot a bit which helped but it's still there. I decided to lean into the discomfort a bit so I could really pinpoint the spot on my foot and it seems I do have a bit of bone at the pressure point. Never noticed it in my other skates, even grabbed those and put them on to double check but since they don't mold the same there wasn't any pressure on that spot and is likely why I never thought it to be odd. I'll try the tissue shim either later today or tomorrow and hopefully that'll take care of it.

Gotta be honest, having the TRUE's on with my CCM and Bauer's back to back is like night and day how sloppy the CCM and Bauer's feel on my foot. I hope I get this pressure point thing worked out so I can start using the TF7's soon and see how they feel on the ice.

Spent some time working on the skates and the inserts are definitely not the issue. Got my heat gun out and pushed on that spot a bit which helped but it's still there. I decided to lean into the discomfort a bit so I could really pinpoint the spot on my foot and it seems I do have a bit of bone at the pressure point. Never noticed it in my other skates, even grabbed those and put them on to double check but since they don't mold the same there wasn't any pressure on that spot and is likely why I never thought it to be odd. I'll try the tissue shim either later today or tomorrow and hopefully that'll take care of it.

Gotta be honest, having the TRUE's on with my CCM and Bauer's back to back is like night and day how sloppy the CCM and Bauer's feel on my foot. I hope I get this pressure point thing worked out so I can start using the TF7's soon and see how they feel on the ice.

Can you share some pics of this area on the actual skate?

3 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Can you share some pics of this area on the actual skate?

Gallery

If those don't help give me an idea of what kind of view you're looking for. I didn't take pictures of the inside, but when I run my finger around that area on each skate I can feel a small bump under the bottom of the TF7 badge and a bump where the foam starts to thicken at the bottom corner edge of the silver stripes. After using the heat gun the right is less obtrusive than the left; I had already done the left before I saw the recommendation to try and push that spot back out and I haven't had a chance to go back and heat it again.

Gallery

If those don't help give me an idea of what kind of view you're looking for. I didn't take pictures of the inside, but when I run my finger around that area on each skate I can feel a small bump under the bottom of the TF7 badge and a bump where the foam starts to thicken at the bottom corner edge of the silver stripes. After using the heat gun the right is less obtrusive than the left; I had already done the left before I saw the recommendation to try and push that spot back out and I haven't had a chance to go back and heat it again.

That indent right there is super strange... like almost looks like someone was pushing hard in that area into your foot when it was being baked.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hills said:

That indent right there is super strange... like almost looks like someone was pushing hard in that area into your foot when it was being baked.

It's present on the 8.5 that I didn't bake as well. Based on the position I'm guessing that it's got something to do with the seam between the painted fiberglass and the rest of the boot.

29 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

would that be where the edge of the wrap was and made a crease in the boot?

No, I used an ace bandage starting on the ankle wrapping down to the forefoot and the only bunching was on the holder otherwise the ace wrap was flat.

9 hours ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

It's present on the 8.5 that I didn't bake as well. Based on the position I'm guessing that it's got something to do with the seam between the painted fiberglass and the rest of the boot.

I’m confused by this description. The shell on the TF models covers 90% of the area of the boot. It runs under the surface for a lot of it but it doesn’t stop around the midfoot, where your problem area is.

6 hours ago, flip12 said:

I’m confused by this description. The shell on the TF models covers 90% of the area of the boot. It runs under the surface for a lot of it but it doesn’t stop around the midfoot, where your problem area is.

Maybe overlay would be a more appropriate term? The seam where the glossy black of the boot and the textured overlay are joined.

Looking at the skates again with fresh eyes this morning and this was wrong.

Edited by DropGloveMurphy
Updated information

14 minutes ago, the_game said:

I'm just curious where you bought those from, because I'm with @Hills looks like someone baked them and pushed down on that spot. Maybe your skates were baked previously to them being sent to you?

Purchased from IW. Anyone else with TF7's able to chime in on whether you have an indent in the same place on your skates?

I tried the tissue method last night and it helped a little, but it's not gone. How much is too much with heating these things? I can give it another go but I also want to be able to return them or warranty claim them if this doesn't work.

So I am in a debacle with the TF9. I am coming from a CCM Jetspeed skate in 8.5D so I ordered the TF9 in an 8.5R. At first fit (no baking) the skate felt great the only issue was my toes were crammed in the toe box. They were not feathering the toe box, but they also were not crunched in there, so I baked the skate with out doing the saran wrap. At home the skates felt great, but once I got on the ice and my feet felt crunched again in the toe box. After all that, I thought the skate was too small, but I couldnt return them because of baking so I ordered the 9R. At home felt great maybe a little big so I wore a thicker sock than I normally would. Baked, and skated they felt okay. Still felt big like my foot was swimming. What do I do here? After watching the @Hill review on youtube, I feel like the 8.5 are the skate I need but I just came on here for some guidence. Will wrapping the skate with the saran/shrink wrap help pull my foot further back into the heel pocket? Can you get the toe box punched out on these skates? 

Also, any recommendations for a replacement tongue? Coming from a skate that always had a felt tongue for 25 years, the one on the tf9 seems a little stiff. 

13 hours ago, DropGloveMurphy said:

Purchased from IW. Anyone else with TF7's able to chime in on whether you have an indent in the same place on your skates?

I tried the tissue method last night and it helped a little, but it's not gone. How much is too much with heating these things? I can give it another go but I also want to be able to return them or warranty claim them if this doesn't work.

If u heat gun that area until soft you should be able to easily push it out with minimum to moderate pressure from the inside of the boot. My guess is you aren't heating it enough, or these boots are no where near as malleable as the customs.  But those indents do not look normal. 

4 hours ago, jrchecker8 said:

So I am in a debacle with the TF9. I am coming from a CCM Jetspeed skate in 8.5D so I ordered the TF9 in an 8.5R. At first fit (no baking) the skate felt great the only issue was my toes were crammed in the toe box. They were not feathering the toe box, but they also were not crunched in there, so I baked the skate with out doing the saran wrap. At home the skates felt great, but once I got on the ice and my feet felt crunched again in the toe box. After all that, I thought the skate was too small, but I couldnt return them because of baking so I ordered the 9R. At home felt great maybe a little big so I wore a thicker sock than I normally would. Baked, and skated they felt okay. Still felt big like my foot was swimming. What do I do here? After watching the @Hill review on youtube, I feel like the 8.5 are the skate I need but I just came on here for some guidence. Will wrapping the skate with the saran/shrink wrap help pull my foot further back into the heel pocket? Can you get the toe box punched out on these skates? 

Also, any recommendations for a replacement tongue? Coming from a skate that always had a felt tongue for 25 years, the one on the tf9 seems a little stiff. 

If you took the advice form @Hills you'd be wearing an 8R, as he's saying you should go down half a size from Bauer / CCM. 

Using the saran does push the heel a bit more into the pocket, but it a depends. I personally don't think you should be a 9R. Never try to wear thick socks to fit into a skate. 

The only thing I can think of is that when you're skating your feet swells a bit so that might be why you feel more of the toe cap. You use the word crammed but sat not crunched but then say crunched when you're on the ice? I'm confused.

Try adjusting the tongue and how far it goes into the toe box. The further the tongue is in the toe box, the more it'll flatten your toes and they will spread and becoming "longer" causing them to touch more of the toe cap. If this isn't the issue then you can see if there's a foam liner at the end of the toe box that you can peel off to give you an extra mm or two. 

You can get the felt tongues through true directly, on sideline, or a local true dealer in-store. 

Your issue is kind of weird how one size seems too small and half a size up seems too big. 

And regarding the can't return the skates bc they are baked, most places won't even be able to tell is the skates have been baked or not. The issue will be they ur steel is sharpened. 

Edited by Sniper9

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

If you took the advice form @Hills you'd be wearing an 8R, as he's saying you should go down half a size from Bauer / CCM. 

Using the saran does push the heel a bit more into the pocket, but it a depends. I personally don't think you should be a 9R. Never try to wear thick socks to fit into a skate. 

The only thing I can think of is that when you're skating your feet swells a bit so that might be why you feel more of the toe cap. You use the word crammed but sat not crunched but then say crunched when you're on the ice? I'm confused.

Try adjusting the tongue and how far it goes into the toe box. The further the tongue is in the toe box, the more it'll flatten your toes and they will spread and becoming "longer" causing them to touch more of the toe cap. If this isn't the issue then you can see if there's a foam liner at the end of the toe box that you can peel off to give you an extra mm or two. 

You can get the felt tongues through true directly, on sideline, or a local true dealer in-store. 

Your issue is kind of weird how one size seems too small and half a size up seems too big. 

And regarding the can't return the skates bc they are baked, most places won't even be able to tell is the skates have been baked or not. The issue will be they ur steel is sharpened. 

I like to recommend players do some exercising before baking their skates, jumping jacks and such. Another option is they come to the store after doing dry land training or working out at the gym or similar.

Peoples feet typically swell during exercise, on ice or off ice, so that's the best time to fit the skate to their foot. 

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Sorry to be confusing, I meant crammed. I will try and bring the tongue further out and also re-bake and wrap them and see if that makes a difference. I did pull the footbeds out of my old CCM skates and the TF9 and the ccm is slightly longer, but like hill said in his video, not long enough to make up that half an inch. Would some superfeet also help bring the foot back any?

1 hour ago, jrchecker8 said:

Sorry to be confusing, I meant crammed. I will try and bring the tongue further out and also re-bake and wrap them and see if that makes a difference. I did pull the footbeds out of my old CCM skates and the TF9 and the ccm is slightly longer, but like hill said in his video, not long enough to make up that half an inch. Would some superfeet also help bring the foot back any?

Your issue sounds like it could be a width issue. The boots a little too narrow at the end leaving you feeling cramped.

I'd rebake the 8.5's without wrapping them. Just do a standard bake and see if the forefoot opens up a bit. That might help with the crammed feeling. Try to do it at the end of the day as your feet swell over the course of the day.

To triple check the length. Pull the innersoles and stand in them. It's just a point of reference. The other thing to check is holder size between the True's and your ccm's. They should be close if not the same size. Again, just a reference point.

12 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Your issue sounds like it could be a width issue. The boots a little too narrow at the end leaving you feeling cramped.

I'd rebake the 8.5's without wrapping them. Just do a standard bake and see if the forefoot opens up a bit. That might help with the crammed feeling. Try to do it at the end of the day as your feet swell over the course of the day.

To triple check the length. Pull the innersoles and stand in them. It's just a point of reference. The other thing to check is holder size between the True's and your ccm's. They should be close if not the same size. Again, just a reference point.

The boot width feels fine at the end, my toes are touching the toe box, not feathering. I will pull the soles and snap some pictures for reference. I wouldnt think holder size would be any different from the true to the ccm but I could be wrong so i will check that too. I do feel like my heel is not sitting all the way back in the skate so thats why i thought the wrapping my help with that