Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

5 hours ago, start_today said:

I assume from your story you have to mail order them, and bake them at home? 

Was that to me? If so no. I just didn’t think to ask for the 7.5 while I was there and I specified I wasn’t buying today as it may be a potential bday present.

I asked if to try on an 8 expecting them to drop them at my feet and he came back out with 5 boxes of different skates and watched me lace them all up. Really helpful actually

8 hours ago, crispy92 said:

last thing, is the tf9 in a class above the 3s/3x pro feature wise? I’ve been out of the gear whore life for a while so still can’t really tell. 

TF9 is top of the line, but True isn’t really feature oriented in that way. In my opinion, the features in new generations of skates are mostly there to justify changing to a new model year. True’s emphasis seems to line up with this. The core of what they do is incredibly solid and they prefer to tweak that to keep the focus on fit and function over making false promises about how a boot will make you faster. TF was their first line of ready to buy skates and the marketing focus was on how they were able to make a new shell to allow similar fit and performance from their custom offering at retail and an incredibly hard to refuse price point.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Was that to me? If so no. I just didn’t think to ask for the 7.5 while I was there and I specified I wasn’t buying today as it may be a potential bday present.

I asked if to try on an 8 expecting them to drop them at my feet and he came back out with 5 boxes of different skates and watched me lace them all up. Really helpful actually

I have 8EE Mako II's and scan as a 7.5 Fit 3 or EE in Bauer skates. I went with a 7W TF9 for a roller conversion. Before baking the 7W felt too short and my toes were hard against the cap. After baking, they were still a little more than feathering, but after about 20 hours of use, they now feel like they're feathering (although, they're still a hair more snug than my Makos. I also prefer the toe box of the Makos to the toe box of the TF9 - it feels more comfortable for my foot and is also slightly lower profile). 

For me, it feels like the TF9s fit about 3/4 size longer than Makos in the same size. So, a 7.5 TF9 will fit similar in length to an 8.25 Mako and an 8 TF9 is more like an 8.75 Mako.

So if you want a very snug performance fit, I'd lean toward the 7.5 - just be prepared that it'll feel way too small before baking, but will open up after baking and break in. If you go with the 8, you likely won't be able to touch the toe cap at all after baking and break in if you're just feathering the cap now.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, PBH said:

+1 for tape tab 

+2. I had that on the custom SIDAS insoles I had at one point because they were impossible to get out otherwise. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crispy92 said:

They should let you bake them as part of the try on process. 

Was unable to try 7.5’s but ordered them through the store(pure hockey) and will see how they feel. Best part is the y’all bake them and I can still return them if they don’t fit. 

Same employee helped me again and we tried every skate again. Like minimum 7 different skates. Problem was once I got down to 7.5, no boot was comfortable around the first eyelet. Whether the toe box was too narrow or volume in that area was short, no boot worked. The only boot that had enough space was the trues which actually seemed like way to much space. So hopefully the 7.5 gets me closer to what I need. If not guess ill have to save for some customs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Was unable to try 7.5’s but ordered them through the store(pure hockey) and will see how they feel. Best part is the y’all bake them and I can still return them if they don’t fit. 

Same employee helped me again and we tried every skate again. Like minimum 7 different skates. Problem was once I got down to 7.5, no boot was comfortable around the first eyelet. Whether the toe box was too narrow or volume in that area was short, no boot worked. The only boot that had enough space was the trues which actually seemed like way to much space. So hopefully the 7.5 gets me closer to what I need. If not guess ill have to save for some customs

It's not surprising that 7.5 skates from Bauer and CCM would be too small if it looks like you need a 7.5 True. For most people, after a proper bake, the True retail player skates fit at least a half size longer than current CCM and Bauer skates in the same size. So, if the 7.5 True retail skates end up being the right size for you, you'd likely need at least an 8 in CCM/Bauer. It's great you tried on so many pairs though.

I also agree that being able to bake and try skates before being stuck with them is fantastic and am happy to see CCM and True offering satisfaction guarantees. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

You could move the tongues down further into the toe box or use something like Powerfoot to take up some of the toe box space.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

It's not surprising that 7.5 skates from Bauer and CCM would be too small if it looks like you need a 7.5 True. For most people, after a proper bake, the True retail player skates fit at least a half size longer than current CCM and Bauer skates in the same size. So, if the 7.5 True retail skates end up being the right size for you, you'd likely need at least an 8 in CCM/Bauer. It's great you tried on so many pairs though.

I also agree that being able to bake and try skates before being stuck with them is fantastic and am happy to see CCM and True offering satisfaction guarantees. 

So it’s weird 7.5 ccm was borderline to small. Bauer fit well length wise but the area just before my toes was too narrow. I did try on 8’s in most skates though and I really had to try to reach the toecap in them some of which I could reach. The 7.5 vapor probably fit the best but was getting a lot of pressure top of the mid foot on the left skate

My one foot is about half a size different almost. The arch on the longer one is flatter causing that foot to play slightly wider in the mid foot and slightly less volume too. Due to this I am seriously considering some customs if the 7.5 don’t work out.

Edited by crispy92
Addtl info

16 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

So it’s weird 7.5 ccm was borderline to small. Bauer fit well length wise but the area just before my toes was too narrow. I did try on 8’s in most skates though and I really had to try to reach the toecap in them some of which I could reach. The 7.5 vapor probably fit the best but was getting a lot of pressure top of the mid foot on the left skate

My one foot is about half a size different almost. The arch on the longer one is flatter causing that foot to play slightly wider in the mid foot and slightly less volume too. Due to this I am seriously considering some customs if the 7.5 don’t work out.

If your length is right with 7.5 Bauer skates, I think you should try a size 7 True skate. It just sounds like the Bauer models are just too narrow where the toe cap meets the boot. The Trues are wider in that area. The 7 True will certainly feel too small before baking and you'll have to completely undo the top two laces and twist your foot in even after baking, but from what you're describing it sounds like you may be better off in a 7 True than a 7.5 after baking and break in.

If you want to try the 7.5 first, it's low risk since you can return them within 30 days if they end up being too big, but if that happens, I'd try a 7 before spending the money on a custom skate. 

• Like 1

Just now, althoma1 said:

If your length is right with 7.5 Bauer skates, I think you should try a size 7 True skate. It just sounds like the Bauer models are just too narrow where the toe cap meets the boot. The Trues are wider in that area. The 7 True will certainly feel too small before baking and you'll have to completely undo the top two laces and twist your foot in even after baking, but from what you're describing it sounds like you may be better off in a 7 True than a 7.5 after baking and break in.

If you want to try the 7.5 first, it's low risk since you can return them within 30 days if they end up being too big, but if that happens, I'd try a 7 before spending the money on a custom skate. 

Thanks for the input. I guess if it’s available that is another option. It just makes me a little nervous as I’m currently using 9D mako(slightly large), 8.5 alkali skates which my toe is against the cap, and a 10 in most shoes. 

2 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

Thanks for the input. I guess if it’s available that is another option. It just makes me a little nervous as I’m currently using 9D mako(slightly large), 8.5 alkali skates which my toe is against the cap, and a 10 in most shoes. 

Well, I wear 10W dress shoes and 10 sandals and have a pair of converted TF9 inline skates in 7W. They felt too small at first, but after baking and about 10 hours of skating they feel like the right length. I scan a 7.5 Fit 3 on the Bauer scanner. So, based on your Bauer and shoe size I'd recommend a 7 TF9.

With that said, I wear 8EE Mako II skates. If you should've been in 8.5 Makos then perhaps a 7.5 is the way to go. With the 30 day guarantee, trying either size isn't that risky. Just make sure they're properly baked and you wear them for several hours before deciding if they're the right size. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Have you taken the insole out to see how it lines up with your foot? Lacking x-ray vision it can be hard to see what’s going on with the fit, and seeing is often believing. You have some peculiarities with your feet it sounds like you’re on top of, which is great. But size is just a reference number, and sometimes doesn’t align to what’s expected at all. Try to ignore the number for everything but knowing where you’re at in the fit scale. Don’t let a number scare you from buying the skate that fits the best.

• Thanks 1

You’re all right. Honestly the 7.5 feels very similar to the 8 except the ridge they put at the front of the toe box to take up space. However as is always the case my left foot still was barely touching and my right was a little more then grazing. Will return the 7.5 for 7 which they also have to order from another store. 

p.s I did try on a 6.5 when ordering the 7.0 just to see. Literally could not get my foot in. Also if the area just before the toe box is too wide is that a problem? Obviously narrow causes pain and such but if there’s a lot of space side to side is that negative

Edited by crispy92
  • Like 2

Well as was said the 7s are perfect, at least in length. However it seems like the area near where the toe box would normally meet the boot seems pretty big.

Idk if I’m just use to my makos since they wrap even as low as the first eyelet. With these the whole toe area is solid plastic and doesn’t wrap. Maybe I’m just being picky it doesn’t seem like my foot is moving but also it feels too roomy. 

Yes and it does make it better but ultimately it felt best when I slid the tongue to the end of the toe cap. But then the top of the tongue starts digging into my shin 

I'm wondering about differences between the TF7 and TF9. I found a little discussion earlier in thread, but 37 pages is a lot to sift through. Clearly I can see the on the specs of lighter weight, carbon fiber vs fiberglass, different tongue, etc. etc. However, how much does any of that really matter? The TF9 is nearly double the price of the TF7 so it seems like it would need to be pretty substantial and it appears to me the differences are more minor.

The back story is that I'm picking up some TF7's this weekend (already fitted and baked just don't want to start the 30 day period yet just in case), but I want to make sure there isn't some large advantage to the TF9 that I'm missing.

9 hours ago, Davideo said:

I'm wondering about differences between the TF7 and TF9. I found a little discussion earlier in thread, but 37 pages is a lot to sift through. Clearly I can see the on the specs of lighter weight, carbon fiber vs fiberglass, different tongue, etc. etc. However, how much does any of that really matter? The TF9 is nearly double the price of the TF7 so it seems like it would need to be pretty substantial and it appears to me the differences are more minor.

I’d think any side by side comparison on a seller’s website would answer this question for you. Carbon vs fiberglass, different liners, different tongues, different steel. No different than a top tier skate from another brand compared to one of their mid range offerings. Are those differences ‘minor’ to you? That’s for you to decide where you want to spend your money

28 minutes ago, Westside said:

I’d think any side by side comparison on a seller’s website would answer this question for you. Carbon vs fiberglass, different liners, different tongues, different steel. No different than a top tier skate from another brand compared to one of their mid range offerings. Are those differences ‘minor’ to you? That’s for you to decide where you want to spend your money

Yes, like I already said, I can just look at the specs, but then my question of "However, how much does any of that really matter?" Of course this is personal opinion, but would like some feedback/opinions on if this matters and why/how much.

16 minutes ago, Davideo said:

Yes, like I already said, I can just look at the specs, but then my question of "However, how much does any of that really matter?" Of course this is personal opinion, but would like some feedback/opinions on if this matters and why/how much.

The TF9 Clarino type liner should theoretically hold up better long term than the TF7's microfiber type liner

I don't think the Fiberglass vs. Carbon Fiber is a huge difference. The Carbon Fiber is a touch lighter and a little stiffer, but the difference isn't huge. The exposed Carbon Fiber definitely looks nicer than the painted Fiberglass.

The holders are the same and I don't think the coated steel on the TF9 is drastically different.

I prefer the thinner tongue on the TF9 to the thicker felt tongue on the TF7. I had volume issues with the TF7s when I tried them on, but that wasn't the case with the TF9. It's easy to change tongues on the True skates since they're just held in with Velcro. With that said, I don't know what replacement tongues cost or how easy it is to source the True tongues (most retailers don't seem to carry them in stores - you may have to contact True directly).

The suggested bake times for the TF9s are longer than the bake times for the TF7 - that suggests that the TF9s may be a little more thermoformable. I haven't had the TF7s baked, only the TF9s; so, I can't be sure that's the case. 

• Like 2

Howdy,

3 hours ago, Davideo said:

When I tried them both on, the only difference that stood out to me was the tongue.  That definitely changed the way the skate seemed to fit my foot a bit and resulted in a little different feel.  it wasn't better or worse to me, just "different".  Just trying them on, I obviously couldn't evaluate any difference in the steel.  I couldn't tell any difference in weight whatsoever.

For me, the extra $$ wasn't remotely worth it and after 3 months of reasonably heavy use (playing and reffing) I'm not sorry I went with the TF7's.  YMMV.

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 2

Holy crap my ADD (of which I did not think I had) has kicked in while reading this thread!  HA!  So my kid is in College now, which means he gets all his equipment and I don't have to stay on top of equipment advances like I once did.  This weekend I saw the TF9 for the first time.  The skate looked great and I liked the price point compared to other top of the line models.

I have been in Mako II's and have been regretting any change.  Unfortunately, I have about had it wit the lack of protection MII's offer.  I have turned into a puss (sorry of that is not PC, cancel me if it is), I literally scream inside every time someone shoots puck my way in anticipation of the pain.  Sadly, I can't stop myself from jumping in front of shots so I typically spend my day gimping on a sore wheel the day after games.

So with that I have 2 questions,  does anyone have a feel for how protective these are?  the vest skate I ever had from a protective standpoint was One90s.  Any feed back on TF9 protection?

Next, as I said have been reading this thread for a day now but have grown tired.  So I am just gonna ask, will I like them compared to my M II's?

One concern I have is ai skate one night a week now.  I now I will have to get on the ice more to get used to any new skate but how different will these feel from my Eastons?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, mnpucker said:

Unfortunately, I have about had it wit the lack of protection MII's offer.  I have turned into a puss (sorry of that is not PC, cancel me if it is), I literally scream inside every time someone shoots puck my way in anticipation of the pain.  Sadly, I can't stop myself from jumping in front of shots so I typically spend my day gimping on a sore wheel the day after games

Not to dissuade you from a new pair of skates, but if the only thing you don't like about the Makos is the protection, why not pick up a pair of shotblockers to beef that aspect up and call it a day?  Or is the aesthetic too off-putting?

• Like 1