Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

You're fine. For the customs at least true stated to me I could bake it upwards of nine times with no issues

I'm not sure the shell is the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flip12 said:

I'm not sure the shell is the same.

The shell is not the same. Similar, but not 100% exactly the same and thus not as thermoformable. The good news is you can easily still bake a TF7/TF9 multiple times without any issues.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

Going to rebake my TF7's finally.

Someone remind me of the oven procedure for a conventional home "non-convection" oven?

Mark

Edited by marka
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Going to rebake my TF7's finally.

Someone remind me of the oven procedure for a conventional home "non-convection" oven?

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Going to rebake my TF7's finally.

Someone remind me of the oven procedure for a conventional home "non-convection" oven?

Mark

Iirc it should be 180° for 6 min.

 

Shop directions were 200° for 6 min, that's what I did as I trusted my convection oven at home.

 

 

On another note, I ended up returned the 7.0R TF9s and doubling back to the 6.5R.  after game 2 in the 7R's, it just felt like my feet were swimming in the boot.  6.5 felt way too small even post bake, but once actually laced and on the ice, felt much different than just standing around at home.  Even then, I do wish the forefoot were still a little bit tighter but I'm not sure much could be done about that.

 

Still, I have no issues with the heel lock, ankle flexion or anything, that's all great, but the review is still out on these until I get a few more skates in. I think the stock pitch and profile is something I'm still getting used to, so not only is the boot way different than I'm used to, but also adjusting to a new profile again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, crispy92 said:

I did but in hindsight the wrap was more around the upper three eyelets where in the video it goes around the heel. Am I good to do a full bake again pure hockey is telling me no

Mine were wrapped this way too when I fitted them. I didn’t think before hand to doublecheck the correct process, and just assumed the store would do it correctly, since the kid who sold me skates suggested it. He was super stoked on doing it, and then still did it wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

So

  1. preheat oven to 180 deg
  2. shut off oven, and put in skates on a towel, on a cookie sheet, middle rack
  3. wait 10 (?) minutes.. The time to use seems to be all over the map?
  4. remove skates and fit

?

Figuring I'll just do one at a time.  


I have a hard time believing the oven will maintain 180 deg for 10+ minutes without being on, particularly with opening it to put the skates in.

Gas oven, with a bottom burner (when in 'bake' mode).  Is it really the end of the world to leave the oven on to maintain temp?

Mark

Edited by marka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So

  1. preheat oven to 180 deg
  2. shut off oven, and put in skates on a towel, on a cookie sheet, middle rack
  3. wait 10 (?) minutes.. The time to use seems to be all over the map?
  4. remove skates and fit

?

Figuring I'll just do one at a time.  


I have a hard time believing the oven will maintain 180 deg for 10+ minutes without being on, particularly with opening it to put the skates in.

Gas oven, with a bottom burner (when in 'bake' mode).  Is it really the end of the world to leave the oven on to maintain temp?

Mark

The time for tf7 and TF9s according to the sheet that came in the box is most definitely 6 min, it's the customs that are 10 min bake times.   The section for home bake said to use 180° (200° for a shop skate oven) I'm assuming due to the fact that they don't want you to overbake in an oven that isnt as well controlled.

 

Your cookie sheet and towel method sounds fine to me, however, you gotta preheat and also leave the oven on in my opinion.  The reduced heat and time already takes into account variances in home baking equipment.

Did them one at a time as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PBH said:

The shell is not the same. Similar, but not 100% exactly the same and thus not as thermoformable. The good news is you can easily still bake a TF7/TF9 multiple times without any issues.

Sorry, just for clarity... which boot is more thermoformable?  Retail TF7/9 or the customs?

Also - anyone know how the "stock" skates they put out prior to releasing the TF7/9 compare fit-wise to the newer retail versions?  From the looks of it, very similar to a TF9 boot (carbon shell, etc.).  Seeing some of those on clearance at good prices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Sorry, just for clarity... which boot is more thermoformable?  Retail TF7/9 or the customs?

Also - anyone know how the "stock" skates they put out prior to releasing the TF7/9 compare fit-wise to the newer retail versions?  From the looks of it, very similar to a TF9 boot (carbon shell, etc.).  Seeing some of those on clearance at good prices. 

The custom is significantly more thermoformable than the TF7/TF9. 

In regards to the "stock" skate offered prior to the TF7/TF9, are you specifically referring to the junior skates they offered previously? If so, those are very thermoformable however the carbon layering and such was different so the skates are quite a bit heavier than current generations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PBH said:

The custom is significantly more thermoformable than the TF7/TF9. 

In regards to the "stock" skate offered prior to the TF7/TF9, are you specifically referring to the junior skates they offered previously? If so, those are very thermoformable however the carbon layering and such was different so the skates are quite a bit heavier than current generations. 

Awesome, thanks.

And yes, I guess they were only available in Jr sizes, didn't realize.  I usually wear a size 5 or 4.5 (small feet, lucky me) so never bothered to see if they were available in Sr. sizes.  I recently tried TF7 on in size 4, with a quick bake, and they would probably work for me, but I did not pull the trigger to make the purchase.  So it sounds like the older "stock" skates are closer to the original custom only skates, than they are to the current retail skates due to improvements in lay-up design and such.  If I was pretty comfortable in a baked TF7 size 4, do you think the "stock" size 4-4.5 skate would work for me?

Not too concerned about weight (unless someone can make a good argument), especially since I currently use Grafs (535 and 735) that I don't think are known for their featherweight.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Awesome, thanks.

And yes, I guess they were only available in Jr sizes, didn't realize.  I usually wear a size 5 or 4.5 (small feet, lucky me) so never bothered to see if they were available in Sr. sizes.  I recently tried TF7 on in size 4, with a quick bake, and they would probably work for me, but I did not pull the trigger to make the purchase.  So it sounds like the older "stock" skates are closer to the original custom only skates, than they are to the current retail skates due to improvements in lay-up design and such.  If I was pretty comfortable in a baked TF7 size 4, do you think the "stock" size 4-4.5 skate would work for me?

Not too concerned about weight (unless someone can make a good argument), especially since I currently use Grafs (535 and 735) that I don't think are known for their featherweight.   

I think those JR. skates go up to size 5 and they are readily available at a huge discount right now, I purchased a pair of 4.5 for my son, they are well made but a bit heavier than the TF7's and not as polished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doodles said:

I think those JR. skates go up to size 5 and they are readily available at a huge discount right now, I purchased a pair of 4.5 for my son, they are well made but a bit heavier than the TF7's and not as polished. 

Yep, thanks.  Why I am asking.  Considering diving in on the stock Jr skate at a deep discount.  Seems for most people the TF7/9 run a 1/2 size large, so you want to size down.  I'm already in a skate that runs a bit tighter length-wise for the given number size (Graf) compared to the other players in the market (CCM/Bauer).  I can comfortably wear a CCM Ribcor 4.5.  In size 5 for Graf.  So I am thinking the True 4-4.5 (believe they have inserts in the toe that give them 1/2 size adjustability) could work for me.  I am pretty confident the TF7 in a 4 is the right size in that model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Yep, thanks.  Why I am asking.  Considering diving in on the stock Jr skate at a deep discount.  Seems for most people the TF7/9 run a 1/2 size large, so you want to size down.  I'm already in a skate that runs a bit tighter length-wise for the given number size (Graf) compared to the other players in the market (CCM/Bauer).  I can comfortably wear a CCM Ribcor 4.5.  In size 5 for Graf.  So I am thinking the True 4-4.5 (believe they have inserts in the toe that give them 1/2 size adjustability) could work for me.  I am pretty confident the TF7 in a 4 is the right size in that model. 

The TF7 and TF9 skates don't have the insert, but the 2019 junior model skates do. The description on the Just Hockey page details the inserts:

True Jr Stock skates have arrived in a limited run, for sizing they are a split size as they have a foam insert in the toe region that can be removed. To give an example on a pair of 4/4.5 they will fit to a size 4 with the foam insert in the toes but with that insert removed they will fit to a size 4.5

https://www.justhockeytoronto.com/products/19214132?variant=31121419141223

The Hockey Supremacy specs also mention the inserts with the 2019 Junior stock skates: If you want a bit more room at the toes, you can take out the cushioning inside the toe cap. This will make the skates longer.

Just Hockey has them listed at 3.5/4, 4/4.5, 4.5/5, 5/5.5 and 5.5/6. Other sites, like Hockey Supremacy and Pro Hockey Life, have them listed from size 4 to 6, including half sizes. I think on a site like Just Hockey you'd need a 4/4.5, but on the other sites that have them listed from size 4 through 6, you may need a 4.5. Trying them on is ideal, but I do understand the 2019 junior skates can be hard to find in all areas and that may not be possible. It'd be a gamble if you bought from a place that didn't allow returns. 

Other differences to note between the stock 2019 junior skates and the 2020 TF7/TF9 skates are:

  • The 2019 skates use a different holder and steel. The production of that holder and steel was limited, so it may be harder to find a replacement holder or steel if something happens down the line. I imagine the quality of the steel would be good though since it was made by Step. 
  • The 2019 skates use a rivet to hold in the tendon guard instead of a nut and bolt.

For parents of youth players who are likely to outgrow the boots in a season or two tops, I think the clearance 2019 stock skates would be a great choice. For an adult player that may have the boots for several years and will eventually want to replace the steel, it may be better to grab the TF7 or TF9 on sale with the newer Shift holders and steel so that you don't have to pay to install all new holders and steel when a holder or steel breaks or when the steel wears down. That's of course a moot point if you were already planning to swap the holders for something else. 

The other advantage of the TF7 or TF9 is of course the 30 day satisfaction guarantee at participating stores if you buy before the end of the month. If you buy, sharpen, bake and try the 2019 versions then you'd have to try to resell them to recoup as much money as possible if they don't work for you. 

 

 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

The TF7 and TF9 skates don't have the insert, but the 2019 junior model skates do. The description on the Just Hockey page details the inserts:

True Jr Stock skates have arrived in a limited run, for sizing they are a split size as they have a foam insert in the toe region that can be removed. To give an example on a pair of 4/4.5 they will fit to a size 4 with the foam insert in the toes but with that insert removed they will fit to a size 4.5

Very helpful.  This gives me more food for thought. 

I was eyeing a "stock" pair on SLS listed as size 4 with a picture of the box showing a handwritten 4-4.5, less than I would pay for a pair of TF7, even with the recent sale.  Plus I have some cash on SLS I could use. 

But, to your point - not returnable, it is a decent amount of cash to take a flyer on (at least for me).  Decisions decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, krisdrum said:

Very helpful.  This gives me more food for thought. 

I was eyeing a "stock" pair on SLS listed as size 4 with a picture of the box showing a handwritten 4-4.5, less than I would pay for a pair of TF7, even with the recent sale.  Plus I have some cash on SLS I could use. 

But, to your point - not returnable, it is a decent amount of cash to take a flyer on (at least for me).  Decisions decisions. 

The older gen junior true retail skates are dirt cheap online fyi. Like 200cdn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The older gen junior true retail skates are dirt cheap online fyi. Like 200cdn. 

Where are you seeing them for that cheap?  I've seen them for about 200usd.  200cdn might be worth it even with the additional taxes and shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Where are you seeing them for that cheap?  I've seen them for about 200usd.  200cdn might be worth it even with the additional taxes and shipping. 

Pro Hockey Life and Hockey Supremacy have them for that price, but I don't think either of them ship to the US.

https://hockeysupremacy.com/products/true-junior-hockey-skates-made-in-canada

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/true-jr-hockey-skates?custom=algolia&term=true-jr-hockey-skates&variant=28497445355597

I also came across an ad on Kijiji from a seller in London, ON that is clearing out TF7 and TF9 skates in select sizes: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/london/true-tf9-and-tf7-skates/1597362789

Here are the prices they list (all CAD $):

TF9
Senior $400 (reg $699)
Junior $300 (reg $399)
TF7
Senior $300 (reg $399)
Junior $200 (reg $299)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Pro Hockey Life and Hockey Supremacy have them for that price, but I don't think either of them ship to the US.

https://hockeysupremacy.com/products/true-junior-hockey-skates-made-in-canada

https://www.prohockeylife.com/products/true-jr-hockey-skates?custom=algolia&term=true-jr-hockey-skates&variant=28497445355597

I also came across an ad on Kijiji from a seller in London, ON that is clearing out TF7 and TF9 skates in select sizes: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/london/true-tf9-and-tf7-skates/1597362789

Here are the prices they list (all CAD $):

TF9
Senior $400 (reg $699)
Junior $300 (reg $399)
TF7
Senior $300 (reg $399)
Junior $200 (reg $299)

Thanks.  Bummer they don't ship to the US.  Maybe I can convince a friend in BC to receive these and ship them to me.  HA!  According to Google with the current exchange rate, $200 CAD is about $160 USD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an update to my tf9 fitting scenarios, here's where I'm currently at now again.

Coming from super tacks 7.5D most recently, and have had 7.5D mako 2s in the past.

First tried the 7.0R TF9s. Fit felt great upon initial bake. Once on the ice, fit felt instantly sloppy and felt like I had Kleenex boxes for skates.

 

Went to the 6.5R.  originally thought there was no way I'd fit in them. They felt perfect out of the bake, and pretty good on the ice, but still felt like there was a touch of negative space around the forefoot, and being fully tied in and equipment on, felt like I still had room on the length. Overall, still a big difference over the 7.0s. 

 

A couple skates with those on the ice and I was still convinced I should at least try 1 smaller just to rule it out.  Grabbed a pair of the 6.0R TF9s yesterday and baked em up.  Following the instructions and leaving the top couple eyelets unlaced, they felt too small upon baking, however I knew this story, I knew that they would give me more length once cooled and fully laced.  As I sit here now with them on and fully laced and sitting, the length is good, maybe a hair too small.  Standing up, I'm definitely into the top cap a little too much, however when knees bent and over the toes in skating position, toes pull back and I would describe it as "perfect" fit.  The forefoot negative space feels better in the 6 than the 6.5 and I like the hug everywhere else in the boot, I've just had such a hard time deciding on the perfect length.  I'm leaning towards staying on the 6 now just because I know the foams should break in even more and give even slightly more length.  

Should I give any thought as to the too small  fit standing up straight? Or only just trust that the fit is good on skating position? And is there any worry that I'm way off the end of the footbed?

 

 

 

Edited by pisani34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pisani34 said:

As an update to my tf9 fitting scenarios, here's where I'm currently at now again.

Coming from super tacks 7.5D most recently, and have had 7.5D mako 2s in the past.

First tried the 7.0R TF9s. Fit felt great upon initial bake. Once on the ice, fit felt instantly sloppy and felt like I had Kleenex boxes for skates.

 

Went to the 6.5R.  originally thought there was no way I'd fit in them. They felt perfect out of the bake, and pretty good on the ice, but still felt like there was a touch of negative space around the forefoot, and being fully tied in and equipment on, felt like I still had room on the length. Overall, still a big difference over the 7.0s. 

 

A couple skates with those on the ice and I was still convinced I should at least try 1 smaller just to rule it out.  Grabbed a pair of the 6.0R TF9s yesterday and baked em up.  Following the instructions and leaving the top couple eyelets unlaced, they felt too small upon baking, however I knew this story, I knew that they would give me more length once cooled and fully laced.  As I sit here now with them on and fully laced and sitting, the length is good, maybe a hair too small.  Standing up, I'm definitely into the top cap a little too much, however when knees bent and over the toes in skating position, toes pull back and I would describe it as "perfect" fit.  The forefoot negative space feels better in the 6 than the 6.5 and I like the hug everywhere else in the boot, I've just had such a hard time deciding on the perfect length.  I'm leaning towards staying on the 6 now just because I know the foams should break in even more and give even slightly more length.  

Should I give any thought as to the too small  fit standing up straight? Or only just trust that the fit is good on skating position? And is there any worry that I'm way off the end of the footbed?

 

 

 

Can you take a picture of the skate laced no your foot. I am more concerned with how the skate looks on your foot laced. Length is all personal preference. If you dont mind your toes on the toe cap then you should be fine. The foams will compact and break in a little bit, so expect to get about 1/8" of room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PBH said:

Can you take a picture of the skate laced no your foot. I am more concerned with how the skate looks on your foot laced. Length is all personal preference. If you dont mind your toes on the toe cap then you should be fine. The foams will compact and break in a little bit, so expect to get about 1/8" of room. 

https://goo.gl/photos/P5HG1KWKy3xp4Tc38

Hopefully this shared link works?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pisani34 said:

As an update to my tf9 fitting scenarios, here's where I'm currently at now again.

Coming from super tacks 7.5D most recently, and have had 7.5D mako 2s in the past.

First tried the 7.0R TF9s. Fit felt great upon initial bake. Once on the ice, fit felt instantly sloppy and felt like I had Kleenex boxes for skates.

 

Went to the 6.5R.  originally thought there was no way I'd fit in them. They felt perfect out of the bake, and pretty good on the ice, but still felt like there was a touch of negative space around the forefoot, and being fully tied in and equipment on, felt like I still had room on the length. Overall, still a big difference over the 7.0s. 

 

A couple skates with those on the ice and I was still convinced I should at least try 1 smaller just to rule it out.  Grabbed a pair of the 6.0R TF9s yesterday and baked em up.  Following the instructions and leaving the top couple eyelets unlaced, they felt too small upon baking, however I knew this story, I knew that they would give me more length once cooled and fully laced.  As I sit here now with them on and fully laced and sitting, the length is good, maybe a hair too small.  Standing up, I'm definitely into the top cap a little too much, however when knees bent and over the toes in skating position, toes pull back and I would describe it as "perfect" fit.  The forefoot negative space feels better in the 6 than the 6.5 and I like the hug everywhere else in the boot, I've just had such a hard time deciding on the perfect length.  I'm leaning towards staying on the 6 now just because I know the foams should break in even more and give even slightly more length.  

Should I give any thought as to the too small  fit standing up straight? Or only just trust that the fit is good on skating position? And is there any worry that I'm way off the end of the footbed?

 

 

 

I do think these skates are just naturally big in the forefoot. I’ve had this same issue. Im beginning to wonder why they didn’t just start with a narrower last if the boot is that moldable. The toe box also just comes up so high and has so much volume it just feels strange so maybe that’s what I’m feeling
 

Ive also not been able to figure out if it’s something that’d be fixed with customs as it seems like the toe box is the problem area and from what I’ve heard they don’t change that at all. 
 

Searching for skates is not fun. If anyone has a suggestion for someone who needs a vapor fit w/ more volume and slightly wider toe box let me know

Edited by crispy92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

I do think these skates are just naturally big in the forefoot. I’ve had this same issue. Im beginning to wonder why they didn’t just start with a narrower last if the boot is that moldable. The toe box also just comes up so high and has so much volume it just feels strange so maybe that’s what I’m feeling
 

Ive also not been able to figure out if it’s something that’d be fixed with customs as it seems like the toe box is the problem area and from what I’ve heard they don’t change that at all. 
 

Searching for skates is not fun. If anyone has a suggestion for someone who needs a vapor fit w/ more volume and slightly wider toe box let me know

Yep I feel you there. Especially having had makos in the past, which were probably some of my favorite toe boxes around.

I'm glad the trues have no issues around the heel and ankle, i find exactly what you said about the forefoot and agree with your points. It does feel closer to what I was expecting in the 6R, but then the length may not work haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So second bake worked for heel lock it seems from just sitting in my apartment. I tried flexing my foot walking around and they barely moved if at all (although now my toes do not touch unless I reach for the cap.) 

Kinda wish they could use the Saran Wrap on the bottom of the boot from like the 4th lowest eyelet down as my I can lift the balls of my feet off the insole slightly. It almost fits like running shoes where  my toes can splay and move freely. Idk if this is good or bad honestly as the heel is locked but something to note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...