Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

TRUE TF9/TF7 skates

2 hours ago, Doodles said:

Is there not a removeable toe bumper in the half-sizes?  I have heard it can be removed to allow for expansion of foot length.

Nope. And that wouldn't help anyway, they fit fine, just the the ridge on the bottom makes no sense. I don't need to go a half size up

On 9/23/2021 at 8:59 AM, the_game said:

I’d really love if True could either rivet the tendon guards themselves or use a stronger/better lasting screw that holds the tendon guard.

I’m very careful taking my skates off and dry out my skates after every use and this is the 4th time in a year one of the tendon guard screws have broken. Unfortunately this time the screw snapped too deep in the tendon guard that I might need a new tendon guard.

Not the end of the world, but still a pain in the arse to deal with.

Just replace them with helmet screws and nuts. Or just get copper rivets installed. 

I Never had the tendon guard on my trues go loose. Ever. Do you have your hockey socks cover the tendon guard? If you're careful taking them off, the only thing I can think of that may be causing stress on the tendon is if you cover them with the socks which causing constant pressure on the tendon guard during skating. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:47 PM, Sniper9 said:

Just replace them with helmet screws and nuts. Or just get copper rivets installed. 

I Never had the tendon guard on my trues go loose. Ever. Do you have your hockey socks cover the tendon guard? If you're careful taking them off, the only thing I can think of that may be causing stress on the tendon is if you cover them with the socks which causing constant pressure on the tendon guard during skating. 

Nope, socks are tucked and I’m meticulous taking my skates off or putting them on or handling them in general. They also go on a glove & boot dryer after every skate.

The biggest pain is the last two times the screw has snapped off into the tendon guard that it’s a bitch to get out. I need to just do the rivet attachment but I just don’t have the time to make it to a hockey store at the moment, hence the frustration. 

I just don't get why they don't do the same attachment system that both the MLX and Mako did?

Edited by mojo122
Context spelling
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 7:29 AM, the_game said:

Nope, socks are tucked and I’m meticulous taking my skates off or putting them on or handling them in general. They also go on a glove & boot dryer after every skate.

The biggest pain is the last two times the screw has snapped off into the tendon guard that it’s a bitch to get out. I need to just do the rivet attachment but I just don’t have the time to make it to a hockey store at the moment, hence the frustration. 

I've had to convert a few of the newer TRUE skates with the screw/nut tendon guard back to the copper style since the players (D1 college and Junior A) kept snapping the screw inside the actual nut located in the tendon guard. It seems like this is just something that happens eventually over time. All of these skates were right around the 1-year mark. I assume as time goes on the tendon becomes more flexible and the increase in movement puts more torque on the tendon screw assembly and it breaks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PBH said:

I've had to convert a few of the newer TRUE skates with the screw/nut tendon guard back to the copper style since the players (D1 college and Junior A) kept snapping the screw inside the actual nut located in the tendon guard. It seems like this is just something that happens eventually over time. All of these skates were right around the 1-year mark. I assume as time goes on the tendon becomes more flexible and the increase in movement puts more torque on the tendon screw assembly and it breaks.

I should’ve just went to a rivet when I got them, oh well.

Just saw the pics of the new skates in the Gear Sightings, hopefully those come out soon, I’ll have to get a pair to see if they fixed the tendon guard screw, ha.

So I’m looking at the tf9 to replace my makos I’m feathering the toe box with an 8r. My makos are a 9 and should probably be an 8.5. I tried on 3x/3s pro in a fit 1 size 8 and was also feathering the toes. 

My question is without getting them baked, is there any way of knowing truly what will be best? I sort of gambled with my makos(got the length wrong though) and it worked out. I would like to go. And should I be trying 7.5. we did the Bauer scan and it said I was 8.75 right foot and 8.25 left foot. 

last thing, is the tf9 in a class above the 3s/3x pro feature wise? I’ve been out of the gear whore life for a while so still can’t really tell. 

16 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

So I’m looking at the tf9 to replace my makos I’m feathering the toe box with an 8r. My makos are a 9 and should probably be an 8.5. I tried on 3x/3s pro in a fit 1 size 8 and was also feathering the toes. 

My question is without getting them baked, is there any way of knowing truly what will be best? I sort of gambled with my makos(got the length wrong though) and it worked out. I would like to go. And should I be trying 7.5. we did the Bauer scan and it said I was 8.75 right foot and 8.25 left foot. 

last thing, is the tf9 in a class above the 3s/3x pro feature wise? I’ve been out of the gear whore life for a while so still can’t really tell. 

I would go with a 7.5 TF9 if I were you. The TF9 is higher than 3X/3S tier skate. They are top of the line quality just like Hyper lite or ultra Sonic

Edited by Miller55
Typo
  • Like 1

I’d get the 7.5. “Feathering” is what you want when they are broken in. These will break in with baking and skating and feel too big. Plus, they are moldable enough they will accommodate any width you are losing by moving down. 

I assume from your story you have to mail order them, and bake them at home? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, start_today said:

I assume from your story you have to mail order them, and bake them at home? 

Was that to me? If so no. I just didn’t think to ask for the 7.5 while I was there and I specified I wasn’t buying today as it may be a potential bday present.

I asked if to try on an 8 expecting them to drop them at my feet and he came back out with 5 boxes of different skates and watched me lace them all up. Really helpful actually

8 hours ago, crispy92 said:

TF9 is top of the line, but True isn’t really feature oriented in that way. In my opinion, the features in new generations of skates are mostly there to justify changing to a new model year. True’s emphasis seems to line up with this. The core of what they do is incredibly solid and they prefer to tweak that to keep the focus on fit and function over making false promises about how a boot will make you faster. TF was their first line of ready to buy skates and the marketing focus was on how they were able to make a new shell to allow similar fit and performance from their custom offering at retail and an incredibly hard to refuse price point.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Was that to me? If so no. I just didn’t think to ask for the 7.5 while I was there and I specified I wasn’t buying today as it may be a potential bday present.

I asked if to try on an 8 expecting them to drop them at my feet and he came back out with 5 boxes of different skates and watched me lace them all up. Really helpful actually

I have 8EE Mako II's and scan as a 7.5 Fit 3 or EE in Bauer skates. I went with a 7W TF9 for a roller conversion. Before baking the 7W felt too short and my toes were hard against the cap. After baking, they were still a little more than feathering, but after about 20 hours of use, they now feel like they're feathering (although, they're still a hair more snug than my Makos. I also prefer the toe box of the Makos to the toe box of the TF9 - it feels more comfortable for my foot and is also slightly lower profile). 

For me, it feels like the TF9s fit about 3/4 size longer than Makos in the same size. So, a 7.5 TF9 will fit similar in length to an 8.25 Mako and an 8 TF9 is more like an 8.75 Mako.

So if you want a very snug performance fit, I'd lean toward the 7.5 - just be prepared that it'll feel way too small before baking, but will open up after baking and break in. If you go with the 8, you likely won't be able to touch the toe cap at all after baking and break in if you're just feathering the cap now.

On 8/31/2021 at 12:16 PM, PBH said:

+1 for tape tab 

+2. I had that on the custom SIDAS insoles I had at one point because they were impossible to get out otherwise. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crispy92 said:

They should let you bake them as part of the try on process. 

Was unable to try 7.5’s but ordered them through the store(pure hockey) and will see how they feel. Best part is the y’all bake them and I can still return them if they don’t fit. 

Same employee helped me again and we tried every skate again. Like minimum 7 different skates. Problem was once I got down to 7.5, no boot was comfortable around the first eyelet. Whether the toe box was too narrow or volume in that area was short, no boot worked. The only boot that had enough space was the trues which actually seemed like way to much space. So hopefully the 7.5 gets me closer to what I need. If not guess ill have to save for some customs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Was unable to try 7.5’s but ordered them through the store(pure hockey) and will see how they feel. Best part is the y’all bake them and I can still return them if they don’t fit. 

Same employee helped me again and we tried every skate again. Like minimum 7 different skates. Problem was once I got down to 7.5, no boot was comfortable around the first eyelet. Whether the toe box was too narrow or volume in that area was short, no boot worked. The only boot that had enough space was the trues which actually seemed like way to much space. So hopefully the 7.5 gets me closer to what I need. If not guess ill have to save for some customs

It's not surprising that 7.5 skates from Bauer and CCM would be too small if it looks like you need a 7.5 True. For most people, after a proper bake, the True retail player skates fit at least a half size longer than current CCM and Bauer skates in the same size. So, if the 7.5 True retail skates end up being the right size for you, you'd likely need at least an 8 in CCM/Bauer. It's great you tried on so many pairs though.

I also agree that being able to bake and try skates before being stuck with them is fantastic and am happy to see CCM and True offering satisfaction guarantees. 

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, althoma1 said:

It's not surprising that 7.5 skates from Bauer and CCM would be too small if it looks like you need a 7.5 True. For most people, after a proper bake, the True retail player skates fit at least a half size longer than current CCM and Bauer skates in the same size. So, if the 7.5 True retail skates end up being the right size for you, you'd likely need at least an 8 in CCM/Bauer. It's great you tried on so many pairs though.

I also agree that being able to bake and try skates before being stuck with them is fantastic and am happy to see CCM and True offering satisfaction guarantees. 

So it’s weird 7.5 ccm was borderline to small. Bauer fit well length wise but the area just before my toes was too narrow. I did try on 8’s in most skates though and I really had to try to reach the toecap in them some of which I could reach. The 7.5 vapor probably fit the best but was getting a lot of pressure top of the mid foot on the left skate

My one foot is about half a size different almost. The arch on the longer one is flatter causing that foot to play slightly wider in the mid foot and slightly less volume too. Due to this I am seriously considering some customs if the 7.5 don’t work out.

Edited by crispy92
Addtl info

16 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

So it’s weird 7.5 ccm was borderline to small. Bauer fit well length wise but the area just before my toes was too narrow. I did try on 8’s in most skates though and I really had to try to reach the toecap in them some of which I could reach. The 7.5 vapor probably fit the best but was getting a lot of pressure top of the mid foot on the left skate

My one foot is about half a size different almost. The arch on the longer one is flatter causing that foot to play slightly wider in the mid foot and slightly less volume too. Due to this I am seriously considering some customs if the 7.5 don’t work out.

If your length is right with 7.5 Bauer skates, I think you should try a size 7 True skate. It just sounds like the Bauer models are just too narrow where the toe cap meets the boot. The Trues are wider in that area. The 7 True will certainly feel too small before baking and you'll have to completely undo the top two laces and twist your foot in even after baking, but from what you're describing it sounds like you may be better off in a 7 True than a 7.5 after baking and break in.

If you want to try the 7.5 first, it's low risk since you can return them within 30 days if they end up being too big, but if that happens, I'd try a 7 before spending the money on a custom skate. 

• Like 1

Just now, althoma1 said:

If your length is right with 7.5 Bauer skates, I think you should try a size 7 True skate. It just sounds like the Bauer models are just too narrow where the toe cap meets the boot. The Trues are wider in that area. The 7 True will certainly feel too small before baking and you'll have to completely undo the top two laces and twist your foot in even after baking, but from what you're describing it sounds like you may be better off in a 7 True than a 7.5 after baking and break in.

If you want to try the 7.5 first, it's low risk since you can return them within 30 days if they end up being too big, but if that happens, I'd try a 7 before spending the money on a custom skate. 

Thanks for the input. I guess if it’s available that is another option. It just makes me a little nervous as I’m currently using 9D mako(slightly large), 8.5 alkali skates which my toe is against the cap, and a 10 in most shoes. 

2 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

Thanks for the input. I guess if it’s available that is another option. It just makes me a little nervous as I’m currently using 9D mako(slightly large), 8.5 alkali skates which my toe is against the cap, and a 10 in most shoes. 

Well, I wear 10W dress shoes and 10 sandals and have a pair of converted TF9 inline skates in 7W. They felt too small at first, but after baking and about 10 hours of skating they feel like the right length. I scan a 7.5 Fit 3 on the Bauer scanner. So, based on your Bauer and shoe size I'd recommend a 7 TF9.

With that said, I wear 8EE Mako II skates. If you should've been in 8.5 Makos then perhaps a 7.5 is the way to go. With the 30 day guarantee, trying either size isn't that risky. Just make sure they're properly baked and you wear them for several hours before deciding if they're the right size. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crispy92 said:

Have you taken the insole out to see how it lines up with your foot? Lacking x-ray vision it can be hard to see what’s going on with the fit, and seeing is often believing. You have some peculiarities with your feet it sounds like you’re on top of, which is great. But size is just a reference number, and sometimes doesn’t align to what’s expected at all. Try to ignore the number for everything but knowing where you’re at in the fit scale. Don’t let a number scare you from buying the skate that fits the best.

• Thanks 1

You’re all right. Honestly the 7.5 feels very similar to the 8 except the ridge they put at the front of the toe box to take up space. However as is always the case my left foot still was barely touching and my right was a little more then grazing. Will return the 7.5 for 7 which they also have to order from another store. 

p.s I did try on a 6.5 when ordering the 7.0 just to see. Literally could not get my foot in. Also if the area just before the toe box is too wide is that a problem? Obviously narrow causes pain and such but if there’s a lot of space side to side is that negative

Edited by crispy92
  • Like 2

Well as was said the 7s are perfect, at least in length. However it seems like the area near where the toe box would normally meet the boot seems pretty big.

Idk if I’m just use to my makos since they wrap even as low as the first eyelet. With these the whole toe area is solid plastic and doesn’t wrap. Maybe I’m just being picky it doesn’t seem like my foot is moving but also it feels too roomy.