Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
shoot_the_goalie

Neck protection

I mean, we play the game covered head to toe in thick padding, wearing a neck guard if you choose or are required shouldn’t be that big of a deal.  I never hear kids even mention them after we remind them at the beginning of the season (mandatory here).

5 hours ago, Beflar said:

One of the functions of a preface is to explain WHY you are writing. 

I can't ask about the why.  Got it.

Note:  There is a search function.  Type in 'Neck guards'.  Just don't tell anyone why you are searching for neck guards because it is apparently not important.

You're being rude for no reason. Please stop.

• Facepalm 1

I wouldn't wear a padded neckguard, and certainly not one of the pointless rings we all wore in the 80s, but some cut resistance built into the shirt? Sure, why not. 

2 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

I mean, we play the game covered head to toe in thick padding, wearing a neck guard if you choose or are required shouldn’t be that big of a deal.  I never hear kids even mention them after we remind them at the beginning of the season (mandatory here).

Kids will wear what we tell them.

For us adults it is a lot like using a mouthguard, if it is not comfortable people just stop using them.  The though of wearing a scarf while playing sounds kinda bad etc.

Maybe it is not that bad.  If they have one with holes for air flow I would probably start there first.  Free product idea for you guys if you want.  

On 11/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I wouldn't wear a padded neckguard, and certainly not one of the pointless rings we all wore in the 80s, but some cut resistance built into the shirt? Sure, why not. 

Wore a neck guard for the first time in a long time.... And ya, the integrated type probably is the best option. The aegis wasn't cumbersome or anything. Didn't notice it during the play. However, it moves around a lot even to the point where the Velcro strap was mostly in front.

Edited by nutters

My kid prefers the basic "donut".  Thinner/lighter the material, the better.  He is NOT a big fan of wearing one, but we have waffled back and forth on how much we've forced the issue.  He also has some sensory issues with his skin, so any discomfort is likely magnified for him.  I think with this latest tragedy, we might have turned the corner on that inconsistency.  Looking through much of what is available on the market, I will say the Aycane "wrap" design looks more preferable to the velcro closure you see on my integrated designs.  The Warroad collar looks thinner than the ones I've seen from Bauer, which is probably a good thing from a comfort perspective as well.  We also have the Skate Armor "bib", which comes up very high compared to the others on the market and isn't stiff, but does seem to be a bit unwieldy due to its added height.      

Edited by krisdrum

I've worn a neck guard for probably around 25 years. It's been so long I don't know when I started. I've always found a new neck guard feels uncomfortable for a little while, like any piece of new equipment does, and then, it breaks in a little and you get used to it. It just becomes what it's like to be kitted up for a game, and you forget it's even there.

The integrated baselayer ones are no different than wearing a regular turtle neck or mock neck. It feels nothing like the foam padded bibs and collars. I chose the baselayer version bc this way it won't slide around and I don't have to worry about an additional piece of equipment. I'll play with it for the first time tonight and will advise if it makes me feel any hotter than without it. I don't see why it would as the materials these days are all dri fit. 

I was surprised to learn that kids in the US didn't have to wear these as they do in Canada. Like someone else mentioned, kids don't really know any better if they started out wearing these since day 1 and into adulthood. Same idea with grandfathering visors in the NHL. But the NHL still have guys who flip the visors above their eyebrows for style points. Makes no sense bc they grow up wearing a full cage or bubble then a visor in juniors. But once they get to the NHL they refuse to have anything covering their eyes... But I digress. 

Edit: I played my first game in the bauer baselayer with integrated neck guard and I'm going to eat my words earlier. It's much hotter. I also noticed the fabric on my neck more than I thought. I eventually got used to the feel but the inability to cool off efficiently is something I'm a bit concerned about as I was pretty drenched at the end of the game. I guess in retrospect it shouldn't have been a surprise as it's essentially doing the same thing as a neck warmer. Kevlar isn't really made to be exactly breathable either. 

Edited by Sniper9

I am fine not wearing a neck guard. If something happens, it was meant to be, and I accept that 🤪

Statically, I am more likely to die in the shower (It is estimated that about 1 person in the U.S. dies every day from a bathroom-related injury occurring in either the bathtub or the shower) or in my vehicle (car crashes remain a leading cause of death in the United States, with over 40,000 annual fatalities). According to available records, there have been a total of 24 reported cases of hockey players dying on the ice since 1905. 

So should I never shower or drive? 

If others want to wear protection, I am fine with it. I don't judge. I wear a full cage instead of a visor, mostly because I spent a lot of money getting my teeth fixed after taking pucks to the face when I was younger. I also wear it because my wife likes my face and wants to keep it the way it is, lol.

People sometimes joke about me wearing a cage, then a year or two later, I watch them take a puck or stick to the face and their teeth are blown out of their head. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I am fine not wearing a neck guard. If something happens, it was meant to be, and I accept that 🤪

Statically, I am more likely to die in the shower (It is estimated that about 1 person in the U.S. dies every day from a bathroom-related injury occurring in either the bathtub or the shower) or in my vehicle (car crashes remain a leading cause of death in the United States, with over 40,000 annual fatalities). According to available records, there have been a total of 24 reported cases of hockey players dying on the ice since 1905. 

So should I never shower or drive? 

If others want to wear protection, I am fine with it. I don't judge. I wear a full cage instead of a visor, mostly because I spent a lot of money getting my teeth fixed after taking pucks to the face when I was younger. I also wear it because my wife likes my face and wants to keep it the way it is, lol.

People sometimes joke about me wearing a cage, then a year or two later, I watch them take a puck or stick to the face and their teeth are blown out of their head. 

This was an informative reply to the OPs question....

To your analogy of not driving or showering at all is bogus. Not wearing a neck guard would be like not wearing your seat belt while driving or something similar in terms of reducing risk while partaking in the activity. Not driving at all would be more like not playing hockey at all. 

Also, neck injuries in hockey is way under reported. Only ones actually documented are probably the ones that cause severe injuries, and I doubt anything beer league related is even documented. But anyways....

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper9 said:

Also, neck injuries in hockey is way under reported. Only ones actually documented are probably the ones that cause severe injuries, and I doubt anything beer league related is even documented. But anyways....

I keep hearing people say this, but even if it this type of injury was under reported by a factor of 1,000, you’re talking just a couple of people a year. 

Regardless, if people want to wear additional protection anywhere on their person, no problem. Whatever makes you feel comfortable on the ice playing 👍🏼

• Like 2

Ok all.  Getting a little off topic here.  I wasn't asking whether people should wear neck protection or not.  I have made a conscious choice to wear it (I owe it to my family), and I was asking what was the most comfortable.  Happy to have a debate on products.  Thanks all.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, shoeshine boy said:

I'd be curious if the figure skating community was talking about this at all. anyone who's been to a rink during freestyle practice has seen how many figure skaters are out there jumping around.

especially after the fabled Iron Lotus incident.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Neck guards are mandatory here even in beer league so I've been used to them right from the start. The one thing to get used to is the heat.

However, I can't stand if the neck guard starts to spin so those "basic" Bauer/CCM ones are out of the question. Right now I'm using a Sherwood "half-a-shirt", that goes on top of the base layer. Many of my team use a CCM model that otherwise is pretty basic but has straps that go around and below the shoulders to negate the spinning issue.

On 11/5/2023 at 10:50 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

Ok all.  Getting a little off topic here.  I wasn't asking whether people should wear neck protection or not.  I have made a conscious choice to wear it (I owe it to my family), and I was asking what was the most comfortable.  Happy to have a debate on products.  Thanks all.

Yeah, it got off topic. It happens. 

But one thing that has been pointed out is that most of the neck protection on the market today is actually lacking in genuine protection. Wearing a cut proof mock neck isn't going to prevent you from getting a crushed trachea if you take a slapshot to the throat. 

This is mostly due to manufacturers not focusing on these products, they usually go to where the money is; reactive not proactive. I would imagine we will see lots of new companies "pop up" too. 

If it become a standard globally at all levels we will likely see some new and updated products released. Hopefully these will provide better protection and also be significantly more comfortable. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I remember wearing one of those COOPER neck guards in the late 80's!

I picked up the aegis interceptor last month and simply took the D30 insert out. The neckguard material itself is kevlar and should be cut proof. The D30 insert is for impact protection AFAIK.

With the D30 insert removed, I have full range of motion and I barely notice I'm wearing it at all.

Even though the odds of having my throat cut by a skate are very small, the inconvenience of wearing a modern neckguard is minimal, so to me it's a no brainer.

On 11/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, birky said:

I picked up the aegis interceptor last month and simply took the D30 insert out. The neckguard material itself is kevlar and should be cut proof. The D30 insert is for impact protection AFAIK.

Did you get just the collar, or the one with the “bib”?

On 11/6/2023 at 12:50 AM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I use the CCM neck guard base layer.  I really don't notice it when I'm skating, may become slightly aware of it when I'm between shifts, mainly because I'm warmer than normal.  I've also used the Bauer NLP23 (bib style) which is just as comfortable.  I'll probably stick with the CCM shirt in the winter, and switch to the NLP23 in the summer, because I don't particularly like long sleeve base layers.