Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Davetronz

Blade Movement in Tuuk LS Edge Holders

When you suggest putting tape on the blade, where do you put it? Just on the long main part in the middle? Or try to put some on the male end of the locking mechanism. 

Many friend has had his x100s for about 10 months, and is getting a wiggle. Adult league, 3-4 nights a week, so he's not playing some crazy competitive level and doing a ton of hard stops and starts in a practice. 

If I were looking at new skates, and two brands fit me to the same degree, I think these holder issues might be enough to push me to another brand. 

On 4/17/2016 at 0:48 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

That would defeat the purpose. I use a CSW holder to sharpen and then put them back in. Seems to work better.

Wonder if heating the steel during sharpening is having an affect on how it sits in the holder. 

If the sharpeners are hackers and they get the steel red, then perhaps.  But, I sharpen many customers with the steel out of the skate and they still have the loose blades.

22 hours ago, stick9 said:

Wonder if heating the steel during sharpening is having an affect on how it sits in the holder. 

It would in any holder. However I do not over heat the blades so that would be in my case. 

54 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

It would in any holder. However I do not over heat the blades so that would be in my case. 

I figured that wouldn't be an issue for you (or others here for that matter), just curious about the potential root cause. 

On 5/17/2016 at 9:49 AM, stick9 said:

I figured that wouldn't be an issue for you (or others here for that matter), just curious about the potential root cause. 

IMPO the idea was not tested properly in all aspects. As most companies do they don't think about the sharpening aspect and what you can see from wear and tear. As I stated early on I saw this as an issue about 2 months into the whole project. I am just not sure why people think its ok for a blade to wobble in the holder for the ease of changing it? Why not make it better and come back with a better design? 

@oldtrainerguy28hopefully they do this soon. I have been ordering Bauer customs for several years now and I've heard that they are not going to be offering the LS2 holders anymore. My current pair has LS2 with Step Blacksteel. I would love to keep using that combo until this issue is resolved. There is no way I would want to skate on a holder with a loose blade.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had any issues with the blades being loose in the Edge holders I put on my Easton RS skates a couple of years ago.

41 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had any issues with the blades being loose in the Edge holders I put on my Easton RS skates a couple of years ago.

It is weird there are some that don't get loose but not many. I would be willing to bet there is some play in everyones though. I haven't found a pair yet without a little. 

In comparison to the LS2 that is. If they discontinue it someone will pick it up if they haven't already and tweak it and come back out with it. Besides there are still guys using Tuuk's in the NHL let alone having change to the LS2.

It probably has to do with how often folks are swapping the steel out. I've only removed mine maybe twice the whole time that I've had them. Since my preferred sharpeners are all local, I don't need to be shipping alternate sets and rotating steel in and out frequently.

I considered hunting down some Custom + holders/steel when I made the swap on my RS skates but decided against it since it would be even harder to find replacement steel going forward.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

It probably has to do with how often folks are swapping the steel out. I've only removed mine maybe twice the whole time that I've had them. Since my preferred sharpeners are all local, I don't need to be shipping alternate sets and rotating steel in and out frequently.

I considered hunting down some Custom + holders/steel when I made the swap on my RS skates but decided against it since it would be even harder to find replacement steel going forward.

I have 3 sets of LS3 in my rotation and haven't had any issues.  I also remove mine after every skate to dry them completely and am currently skating 4 times/week.

42 minutes ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

ya its probably my imagination.

There's no need for that reaction.  They're stating their PERSONAL anecdotes.  Obviously people who work on skates will see it more because they see multiple pairs.

I've been seeing varying steel thicknesses lately, as well as mis-stamped steel - one of our members who I sharpen for needed LS2 (not even Edge) and both were stamped 263mm and one was a 272.

I don't think I've run across any LS3s that go loose in the holder, but certainly LS2 and LS Fusion.  

I just mounted black Tuuk LS edge holders on my true skates with step blacksteel but unfortunately for me, the left skate starting clicking right away. The steel is identical with no bends. I had a spare set of ls4 steel which I put in and it's really snug and doesn't click at all. 

I have no idea of it is a holder issue or s steel issue. I was doubtful its the steel since step has very high QC bit it is weird that the ls3 fits so diff. I literally had to put all my weight to the steel into the right boot. And to get it off I needed pliers. 

As much as I like the setup and how sweet it looks, I regret not getting the ls2 holders.  Even if warranty replaces the holders within the year, I have a feeling it's going to be a constant issue, and I like the peace of mind of having my steel bolted down.  

7 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I just mounted black Tuuk LS edge holders on my true skates with step blacksteel but unfortunately for me, the left skate starting clicking right away. The steel is identical with no bends. I had a spare set of ls4 steel which I put in and it's really snug and doesn't click at all. 

I have no idea of it is a holder issue or s steel issue. I was doubtful its the steel since step has very high QC bit it is weird that the ls3 fits so diff. I literally had to put all my weight to the steel into the right boot. And to get it off I needed pliers. 

As much as I like the setup and how sweet it looks, I regret not getting the ls2 holders.  Even if warranty replaces the holders within the year, I have a feeling it's going to be a constant issue, and I like the peace of mind of having my steel bolted down.  

Doubtful Bauer would agree that it is the holder issue since the LS4 steel fits right and snug.

13 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Doubtful Bauer would agree that it is the holder issue since the LS4 steel fits right and snug.

I returned the blacksteel which is a shame.  I really wanted to give it a shot and really liked how they felt.  But I have a feeling at the end of the day the Bauer steels are gonna fit better overall since it's their runner for their holder. I popped in the spare ls3 I was given as a spare and they are really snug. It could have been just the set of blacksteel that I had but I didn't want to go through the headache again of going back and forth. 

I noticed that the blacksteel caused the plastic inside the holder where the front hook goes into to start peeling due to the rubbing (likely because there's play). So eventually I would imagine it would just get to worse and worse. 

For now, I'm waiting for the warranty holder for the left skate and then stick to Bauer steels.  If the issue comes up again in the future, whether it's within the one year warranty or not, I am going to go back to my step holders. Or ls2 holders (if they are still around). 

I wanted to clarify that the play I had in my steel wasn't side to side. It was in and out. If I pressed the steel down it would click and there was play. Side to side was tight and had no movement (that I could see or feel). 

Edited by Sniper9

28 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

I returned the blacksteel which is a shame.  I really wanted to give it a shot and really liked how they felt.  But I have a feeling at the end of the day the Bauer steels are gonna fit better overall since it's their runner for their holder. I popped in the spare ls3 I was given as a spare and they are really snug. It could have been just the set of blacksteel that I had but I didn't want to go through the headache again of going back and forth. 

I noticed that the blacksteel caused the plastic inside the holder where the front hook goes into to start peeling due to the rubbing (likely because there's play). So eventually I would imagine it would just get to worse and worse. 

For now, I'm waiting for the warranty holder for the left skate and then stick to Bauer steels.  If the issue comes up again in the future, whether it's within the one year warranty or not, I am going to go back to my step holders. Or ls2 holders (if they are still around). 

I wanted to clarify that the play I had in my steel wasn't side to side. It was in and out. If I pressed the steel down it would click and there was play. Side to side was tight and had no movement (that I could see or feel). 

Sucks that you had that issue. For what it's worth, my blacksteel fits in my LS Edge holders tighter than the set of LS3 that I have, in terms of getting it in/out.  

So I had my black edge holders swapped out and replaced them with new white ones. Ordered a set of tydan steel. The fit is Def snugger but there is still some movement up and down when I put my body weight into the skates. Like stepping down on the toes and heel I can feel it move in a hair if I put my fingers on the steel. I can't actually feel it with my feet, only when my fingers are touching the steel and holders. 

Not a big deal as I'm sure it actually occurs more often than not in other holders as well. I just scrutinize it more now bc it's in my head. 

I did notice though that the very last inch or two of the blade at the heel of the left skate has an ever so slight side to side play, which causes it to click lightly when I push it with my fingers. Again none of this is probably even an issue on the ice especially if it doesn't get worse, but it's just annoying, and again bc it's in my head now. 

So I've decided that I'll keep the setup until the tydans wear out since I spent a decent amount on the steel, and when they wear out, I'll replace the edge holders with new ls2 holders that I just got off eBay for cheap.  The labour for the swap will be cheaper than buying new steal for these holders that seem very inconsistent when it comes to how steel fit in them. 

Edited by Sniper9

This thread got me thinking... are we making a bigger deal about this than we need to. Given the new, "popularity" shall we say, of the Marsblade ice holders, if the steel is moving ever so slightly up and down would it be reasonable to say that it's similar to the effect that the Marsblade offers? I'm not saying you're going to necessarily get the performance benefits that you would with Marsblade, but my thought is that maybe we're making a big deal about it because we're just used to having the steel be super tight. 

Now, if the steel is moving side to side, then I think that would be more of an issue because of how the edges would be contacting the ice. Up and down though, doesn't seem to me like it would be that big of a deal. Thoughts?? 

Edited by darkhors

14 minutes ago, darkhors said:

This thread got me thinking... are we making a bigger deal about this than we need to. Given the new, "popularity" shall we say, of the Marsblade ice holders, if the steel is moving ever so slightly up and down would it be reasonable to say that it's similar to the effect that the Marsblade offers? I'm not saying you're going to necessarily get the performance benefits that you would with Marsblade, but my thought is that maybe we're making a big deal about it because we're just used to having the steel be super tight. 

Now, if the steel is moving side to side, then I think that would be more of an issue because of how the edges would be contacting the ice. Up and down though, doesn't seem to me like it would be that big of a deal. Thoughts?? 

Problem with sloppy fit is that every stride the steel bangs the plastic parts inside the holder and wears them out at a progressively higher rate. It is like a bad ball joint in the suspension, once it starts clicking, it just getting worse and worse and eventually falls apart 

• Like 1