Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chilaxin12

Best Player you've played with or against?

Here are some anecdotes...

Paul Cyr NHL 82-92 joined our team a few years ago. His usual sweater number was 18 so I gave him my #81 instead and I took another. He played on our first line with former NCAA center Derik Sheers. I am not sure of the exact details but after a game he got into an "event" with a ref and was banned from the rink (they seem to do that out west here??). It took a while but I got my coveted #81 back.

Rich Chernomaz Devils/Flames same era, played in our league for a season. Strong core & a rippin' shot.

Back in TO during the 80's I drove out to Whitby to play late night shinny once a week with a bunch of guys that included the Nieuwendyks. I was putting together a tournament team and asked Gil if he and Joe would like to play on it. He kind of laughed. Not being from there I had no idea who they actually were. They didn't play, but a bunch of really good players did. It was exciting hockey, good games. We went right to the final game, but lost. We won some gear, each a medal and some other stuff which was cool.

I also have a Bobby Orr story to share...but perhaps that's for another thread.

We had some Dub players who came out and would run practices with us. We would do some scrimmages with them whne we were preparing for tournaments.

They would make us look like pylons...though, our team captain made a nice move around one of them and scored.

Great guys.

I played on a men's B division team during the summer and we had a few Dub players on our team.

bob halkidis, played for the sabres/rochester americans in the late 80's, 1992 with the leafs, then back to the echl.

he's our rink manager.

jamie black, 90's nhl, whalers/north stars

coach of team carolina jr. b here in town.

This past summer I played some pick up/drop in with some guys from the OHL. Can't remember names, but one guy was in Ranger gear (Kitchener) and another guy had Brampton Battlion colors on.

Played with a Chicago draft pick named Peter Leblanc. He's from Hamilton and goes to UNH.

And, there is a guy in a group I'm playing with now named Grant Saunders who played mostly in Europe in the 80's-90s.

Not household names, but I can't even imiagine with the top tier guys are like on the ice...because all of these guys could flat out FLY...and have amazing shots with amazing accuracy, adn a great sense of what is happenign aroudn them on the ice. And STRONG on the puck.

No clue who he is, but I played against a really tall, trim guy wearing late worn late 90's Pens gear. He had a canon from the blue line (using a Sherwood 9950 no less), hardest shot I've seen on the ice. And he could cross the ice in what seemed like four strides. Any former Pens or prospects living in the Twin Cities?

Otherwise, some former college and junior players who can all skate circles around me. Considering most B-level amateurs can skate circles around me, it's not that hard to imagine.

Played outdoor shinny a couple of winters ago and this guy (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=9450) was flying past everyone and had the puck stuck to his stick. Shows how much better a borderline NHL, over 40 year old is than the average duffer.

Also played in a summer men's league game and the other team had Cory Pecker (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=31806). He was playing defense and has doing his best to set people up as opposed to score, but he clearly was heads and shoulders above anyone on the ice. In any event, we got under his skin, and he ended up getting tossed from the game for saying to the ref "no wonder you're only a ref making $8 an hour". We went on to win at that point....

No clue who he is, but I played against a really tall, trim guy wearing late worn late 90's Pens gear. He had a canon from the blue line (using a Sherwood 9950 no less), hardest shot I've seen on the ice. And he could cross the ice in what seemed like four strides. Any former Pens or prospects living in the Twin Cities?

I think I know this guy. If it is who I think it is, his name is Dave. He has been skating all over the Twin Cities getting ready for tryouts for the ECHL and other minor-pro leagues. I run into him at the open skate in Burnsville. Really nice guy, didn't even get pissed when he and I got tangled going to the net and he took a header into the boards. Last I spoke to him he was off to Indiana to try out for the Indiana Ice Miners.

His dad skates in Burnsville every few months too. Apparently his dad skated for the 72 US Olympic team that won silver in Sapporo.

Darren Semple, who had a tryout with the Whalers played on my beer league team a few years back. I swear I learned more about playing D in 10 games of shooting the shit on the bench and in the locker room than I did in all my years of hockey before that.

IIRC, in college my beer league team played against Kim Clarkson who was a tough guy in the WHA and the NHL. Career points were like 25 over 5 or 6 years. At 40 or so he could make me look foolish even though I was in 20 and in half decent shape at the time. I remember thinking that if this guy was basically a no talent goon, I'd hate to skate against somebody with real talent.

A young Russian kid that came over for the just finished AIHL season.

Slava's profile

His English was on the low stakes but he blinded some young kids at development with his great hands and quick turns of pace on the ice. Graceful and kind.

I think I know this guy. If it is who I think it is, his name is Dave. He has been skating all over the Twin Cities getting ready for tryouts for the ECHL and other minor-pro leagues. I run into him at the open skate in Burnsville. Really nice guy, didn't even get pissed when he and I got tangled going to the net and he took a header into the boards. Last I spoke to him he was off to Indiana to try out for the Indiana Ice Miners.

Yep that's the guy. Amazing how small a world it is. That Burnsville skate killed me, way faster than what I'm used to.

Best player I've played against is a guy from one of the dominant teams in Singapore. He was also the worst, as he would show off at EVERY opportunity, and made sure he would rub it in your face when he could. Good player, just downright piss poor attitude.

Rumor had it that he was fired from the LHS, as he had his hand in the till on a regular basis.

My dad worked right next to a local rink here in Connecticut and had the pleasure of skating with Chris Drury when I was much younger. Not to mention both Drury brothers are as nice of people as you'll ever meet.

I'll second that. Jim Drury plays beer league in Austin and I've played a drop in with him. He's not even the best in our league of course, but the only guy that I know his name. Super nice guy though.

I've skated three years in a row against the Flyers Alumni, who included, Propp, Kelly, Watson, Goodenough...

This past year we had the Kolarik brothers, Tyler who played AHL for Syracuse and Chad who played for U of Michigan. It's amazing how two guys can score more goals in one year than the rest of us could in past years. Fun to play with and for a good cause.

Played against Heatly in minor hockey, scored 3 on me when I played net, he would be the best. Have also played with a couple flames/farm leagures and Edmonton draft pick goalie Devan Dubnyk in summer shinny(beat him five hole on a break, I am quessing he was just humoring me.

Played against a lot of the guys from the draft this year, and next years. Gagner, couture, tavares, doughty, hodgson etc. Also played with Brad Marsh a few times and my great Uncle won the Art Ross in 1924 haha I thought that was pretty cool.

Got the chance to skate with Patrick O'Sullivan (of the Kings) about 4 years ago. He came out to a pickup and i was just amazed...definately the best ive ever been on the ice with (hands, shot, passing, speed, you name it). Played a bantam tourney against Chad Kolarick (Phoenix draft pick @ Michigan). He was pretty sick even in those days. Got coached by Darren Kimble and several ex-ECHL'ers. Now I play in an adult pickup that is mostly retired ex-pros. Pretty fun stuff, and you learn A LOT!