Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

old guido toughguy douchebags talking shit about everyone in the locker room after pickup. He played junior or whatever as a kid, so he's obviously god on skates.

I played a pick up game last night. I usually have a pretty good time at this rink but last night was a total bust.

- A few those guys who only pass to each other showed up.

- Kid who complained every time he didn't get a pass. "What happened???" or "I was wide open!"

THE BEST though was that we had two full lines plus two extra on our bench in the beginning. So two dudes would end up sitting out every other shift. Of course we were rotating on who it was. Not even 3 shifts in and the next line hops out to which a 6th guy hops over the bench, approaches another dude, punches him in the face and says "DON'T JUMP AHEAD OF ME FAGGOT". The dude who got hit dropped his stick and gloves and took off his helmet, as did the other guy, they exchanged a good amount of blows before hitting the ice and getting pulled off each other by other guys there. The dude who initially punched the guy wasn't getting up. He asked someone to help him. Turns out he sprained his ankle. He couldn't even get his skate off. The funniest part of this whole thing (besides random comments during the fight) is everyone saying it wasn't that dudes turn. He didn't get "jumped" or "cut" in line. It just wasn't his turn to go out. I guess karma comes into affect here? Hahaha. I was just sitting on the bench laughing to myself.

A couple of weekends ago I went to pick up with like 5 of my friends and I ran into a highschool friend who I hadn't seen in about 5 years. He warns me about two guys who take 15 minute shifts, so we planned to be on the other team. On my first shift I was in a board battle with one of the long shifters and he repeatedly elbows me in the face. I was wearing a cage so it didn't really matter but I said something and he calls me a pussy. This guy then starts slashing or cross checking anyone who steals the puck from him and by the time our session was over everyone on our bench wanted to fight him.

The next night we go to another rink and he's there again, but there ends up being 6 goalies and around 50 skaters so they opened both sheets of ice and we went to the other sheet. After our skates over, someone told us that he got into a fight with someone and left afterwards.

who starts a fight because they got cut in line? seriously? mind telling us where that happened so everyone else knows where the tards hang out?

It was at a rink here in San Diego. I think everyone knew the guy over reacted so it was even funnier when everyone found out no one cut him to begin with.

last night some guy just decides he needs to skate back and forth three (3) times behind our own net then loses the puck... maybe pass it so we can clear our zone first?

Guys who take it too seriously. Don't get me wrong, I go hard, but know it's all in good fun and the moment I stop smiling and laughing I might as well go home. Anyway, this guy about twice my age had some fantastic moments the other night. He's one of the better players on the ice, probably in the top 3 (along with myself and another guy).

First defining moment - errant pass that in all fairness I put too far ahead of him, but it was nothing he couldn't have gotten too if his feet was moving. Well this led to a loud "#&%*" and an over head stick slam into the ice.

Second defining moment - he switched teams to even things up and we were racing to a puck by the hash marks on the boards. He tried to step in front of me and put his hand out to push me behind him so I reached in front, poked the puck up the boards and jumped over him to pick it up. Made a pass quickly to get rid of it from our zone, and he turns around and gives me a cross check to the lower neck (just at top of the shoulder pads) before skating away. He had hooked me earlier and apologized but this one was completely from left field. There was about 10-15 minutes left so I just made sure from there on out he wasn't beating me to any pucks and wasn't getting by me in any one on one's.

Seriously, if you're only there to lazily skate around until you want to score 10 goals and embarrass the weaker players/goalies why are you there? I just don't understand how guys can't have fun.

Guys who take it too seriously. Don't get me wrong, I go hard, but know it's all in good fun and the moment I stop smiling and laughing I might as well go home. Anyway, this guy about twice my age had some fantastic moments the other night. He's one of the better players on the ice, probably in the top 3 (along with myself and another guy).

These guys seem to plague the pick-ups I attend as well. They usually tend to be at least in their mid-30s, and are trying to prove something. That's just in my experience at least. They are the first to yell obscenities when they don't make a play, or act as 'coach' for the other players on the team, or dish out hooks, slashes, and checks, or even try to start fights. I think I know the kind of guy you're talking about, we all do...

I like to skate hard at pick-ups also, but there's a difference between skating hard and skating recklessly. Some of these really intense guys do the latter, and take the fun out of it.

Anyway, a cross-check to the neck is completely ridiculous in any case, but especially at pickup. He should be thrown off for something like that.

there was this kid out the other night who could not skate ( i don't have a problem with that, everyone has to learn right), took like 15 minute long shifts, and basically just floated around from end to end but never really keeping up with the play, not doing anything remotely useful. half the time he was offsides tapping his stick on the ice for a long pass (even when the play was at the other end of the ice)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. don't have to go all out but atleast make some sort of attempt.

Not to mention that you're essentially killing a penalty at the other end. I hate that.

Last week I played defense, much to the dismay of our goalie, Sluggo.

There's a guy on the other team who is pretty solid, good skater, good hands, small but quick. When his team was in the defensive zone he was constantly floating out around the blueline looking for the breakaway pass. Drove me nuts as I had to hang back just outside the zone to make sure he was covered and barely got to touch the puck except to break it out of our end. Thing is he's good enough to dangle most of the guys out there, myself included, and doesn't need to resort to that kind of thing.

I admit that I usually have certain expectations of my abilities and to a very small extent still play with determination even during most pick up games. For the most part I think many of us have fun at those times but will also occassionally let a certain amount of disappointment change our attitudes a bit.

A few weeks ago my team would start a breakout by starting a pass, standing still from behind the goal line acroos the rink to another player. Trouble was that twice they tried this it was picked off by the forechecker resulting in poorly defended scoring opportunities. The third time it happened and pass was picked off I yelled, "Just stop passing across the middle!" which cracked up many of the other guys for the rest of the session.

We rotated goalies and a little later that team, who was now opposing me tried another cross rink breakout pass that was of course picked off and goal was scored. I yelled from my end. "See. Stop passing across the middle like that!"

I guess that I still sometimes do not stop to think that most people are playing to the best of their abilities and that I should be more relaxed and have more fun during play.

I play Shinny/Pick up every Friday night and sometimes 3 times a week during the summer. It is usually pretty much the same bunch that shows up, give or take a few spares here and there. What I hate the most is getting our asses kicked and seeing players from the other team floating at the red line or our blue line waiting for breakaway passes.

last night some guy just decides he needs to skate back and forth three (3) times behind our own net then loses the puck... maybe pass it so we can clear our zone first?

Same guy... but this week there was 8 each side... he decides he only needs to come off the ice ONCE in a 50 min drop-in

Guys who chirp and say "its just mens league, relax'', then when their team scores they are like WOOOOOO!! WOOOOOOO!! And they call out the refs.

Don't pretend like you're not trying hard just because you're bad!

Guys who chirp and say "its just mens league, relax'', then when their team scores they are like WOOOOOO!! WOOOOOOO!! And they call out the refs.

Don't pretend like you're not trying hard just because you're bad!

LOL this made me seriously squirt Diet Dr Pepper through my nose. I love to Chirp just for the sake of Chirping , and I get excited when we score .... oh did I mention I am horrible. Most of the guys I chirp with are friends so its no big deal , they actually crack up at the stuff I say....

However there are guys who take D-4 beginners Hockey way to serious. I know some of those guys have been in the same league and would rather stay in d-4 and be king turd on shit island rather than move up and get better.

This one's not pick up hockey but from the men's league. Tuesday night the team we played against had some guys dad in the stands YELLING for him to get a hat trick. I guess he thought it wasn't enough so he moved down to the glass and repeatedly banged on it and screamed. To top it off when his kid (who is a minimum 25 years old) got in a scuffle he went ape shit banging and screaming. This guy made pee wee parents look bad. Next time we play him I'm gonna ask if his daddy buys him a gatorade or ice cream after the game too.

Not to mention that you're essentially killing a penalty at the other end. I hate that.

Last week I played defense, much to the dismay of our goalie, Sluggo.

There's a guy on the other team who is pretty solid, good skater, good hands, small but quick. When his team was in the defensive zone he was constantly floating out around the blueline looking for the breakaway pass. Drove me nuts as I had to hang back just outside the zone to make sure he was covered and barely got to touch the puck except to break it out of our end. Thing is he's good enough to dangle most of the guys out there, myself included, and doesn't need to resort to that kind of thing.

Well, since the same guys always end up dropping back anyway, it's usually not hard to freeze somebody out as far as three line 150 foot passes go. When he bitches say "I couldn't see you" or "THere was no lane," or "why don't you backcheck you cherrypicking bum."

I'd have to say mine is the guy that can't just go out and have some fun at drop in hockey. It't not about not skating hard, or being lazy by any means. There's a guy that comes out two or three times a week to a lunch hockey I play it regularly and while people say he's an okay guy off the ice, he's about the world's biggest prick and idiot once he laces up the skates. He wants to play rough and throw checks, but expects everyone else to play on egg shells around him. When he doesn't show up we've never had so much as a shoving match, when he does he's good for at least one near fight a week. He get's furious over every little accidental thing that happens, he intentionally shot a puck at one of the tri-pods' head because the guy accidentally hit him in the glove trying to lift his stick. Or his responses are just wildly out proportion to the offense: he cross checked a guy to the back of the head for holding his stick. At least twice a week he hurts himself going into the boards too hard in puck races he can't possibly win. Sorry, I don't care if you're the fastest skater in the world if one guy is two strides from the puck and you're 8-10 there's just no way you're going to get there first. You can just watch his face and see the entire thing from beginning to end is just an exercise is getting more and more angry. He hasn't been coming out as much lately after one particularity bad skate I just flat out ask him in the room afterward: you obviously don't have any fun out there, and from having reffed some of your league games it's the same there, so have you ever considered that maybe hockey just isn't for you?

He sounds like one of those guys that looks forward to hockey so he can work out all the anger he builds up in his life. I hate those people, they have no respect for anyone else on the ice and then expect you to "leave it all on the ice" and not think they're complete assholes.

I had the "Russian Coach" as a defense partner this morning. Dude wouldn't shut up off this ice or on it. He was instructing complete strangers as to where they should be in this very broken English. It was funny for the first five minutes, then I just wanted to tell him that his Mom buys below average groceries...

I had the "Russian Coach" as a defense partner this morning. Dude wouldn't shut up off this ice or on it. He was instructing complete strangers as to where they should be in this very broken English. It was funny for the first five minutes, then I just wanted to tell him that his Mom buys below average groceries...

Haha did you get that off of Warrior's trash talk contest?? That was pretty funny.

Haha did you get that off of Warrior's trash talk contest?? That was pretty funny.

That was me, I'm still waiting for the damn t-shirt. And for all of you who I upset, I had used the insult before I heard it here

That was me, I'm still waiting for the damn t-shirt. And for all of you who I upset, I had used the insult before I heard it here

K because I was thinking like "Dang, that was all over MSH"

By the way that's all you won? A T-shirt? I thought it was like a free stick or something...