Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Biggest Busts

Mission Carbster and three finger gloves. Great products, people just weren't ready for them at the time.

I loved mine. I used them for almost 10 years. Had duct tape holding it all together. Amazingly, the palms never wore out. I ended up losing one and figured it was time to move on.

z-waxx

Easton "big wheel" inline chassis

I've still got a pair. used them for maybe 10 minutes. Decent enough, but I liked a rocker on my inlines.

what about the tps rubber shaft..i think thats a bust

What? That thing sold tons of units and they were tanks.

Yeah, I loved mine, I wish they still sold them.

My wish is for the TriCore to make some kind of return. I loved the square shaft version.

I love the tricore. I picked up a genesis here at modsquad. Paid a hefty price though, but well worth it.

Fly puck

Phat puck

soon to be Easton Motion pants

On that note - SmartHockey Stickhandling balls?

I know every shop seems to have tons, but I don't think I've ever heard of someone actually buying or using one.

I too love those Smart hockey Balls, i have 2, 1 for outside on the cement and 1 for around the house on the floor.

Rawlings Jam shoulder/elbow pads

How about Rawlings hockey equipment in general?

Oh, and would the Fox glow puck apply here?

The glow wasn't a bad thing, especially along the boards, the comet tail on the other hand......

The high end gloves and pants were decent. I was unimpressed by the shoulder pads and elbows, even more so when they mated them together.

tps genesis blades?

not sure on how they sold but there definatly isnt anything that terrible out there right now.

Were those the ones with the wood paneling on the face?

The glow wasn't a bad thing, especially along the boards, the comet tail on the other hand......

If you needed the glow to follow the puck, do us a favor and don't watch hockey. Of all of Bettman's really bad ideas, that was easily #1. Nothing did more to turn off the traditional hockey fan than that stupid puck. Did the glowing puck get more people to watch hockey? Obviously not. I used to tape the Finals every year. Those years I wouldn't do it.

Were those the ones with the wood paneling on the face?

yeah, navy blue with the "wood" on the forehand and backhand. the heel and bottom of the blade was basically cardboard and would blow out in about a week. keep in mind i had these in like pee wee or bantam and i wasnt quite as strong as i am now, couldnt even imagine what would happen if i used one now. and they were about 50 a pop. then the lhs here was closing them out for like 25, bought a few and blew them all out just as fast. terrible terrible blade.

yeah as well as the genesis I remember the red RTM(?) blades and they weren't anything too fantastic either.

The Hull RTM retail had almost no curve at all, it was a nice heel wedge.

I only ever saw one pair of these - Rawlings hockey gloves with a zip out palm. All around the palm was a zipper, so you could zip out the palm and put in a new one.

I only ever saw one pair of these - Rawlings hockey gloves with a zip out palm. All around the palm was a zipper, so you could zip out the palm and put in a new one.

I don't hate the idea of a glove that you can buy along with several different palms and an easy palm-switching process to figure out which one suits you best (not that this was Rawling's intention), but a zipper is obviously not the way to go about that...

[quote name='VakarLajos' post='617819' date='Oct 8 2008, 03:47

Now Oggie grips.... that's a bust. But we also must take into account that some things sell better in different parts of the country.

Agreed.....I've never seen an oggie grip.

In some ways, I think your impression of Oggie Grips being a bust is due to the internet. What I mean is there is a saying about "you don't know what you don't know" but it's the opposite here.

I haven't spoken with Joe in a couple of months, but he said the sales of the grips have increased each year. Plus he's starting to get NHL players to use the grips, although sometimes he modifies the grips so much that it's hard to tell. In any event, let's go back 5+ years to before MSH (or the Easton board) were created. Let's say you've never heard about an Oggie Grip, but you noticed something real weird on an NHL player's stick, so you ask the guy at the shop what it is. No idea. Enough kids ask that question all year before the owner of the shop makes a connection that that was the booth he buzzed by at the trade show, then he remembers he saw an ad by them in USA Hockey, so he calls Joe to inquire about carrying the grips.

That's a common chronology prior to the age of the message board. You wouldn't consider a product a bust because you'd have no idea how long it'd been on the market. In the case of Joe's product, I think it's crazy to suggest a product whose sales have increased annually is a bust, particularly when we know that NHL players using products help drive sales, and Joe didn't get NHL approval until last season (I believe).

I realize the counter argument could come from a retailer like Jimmy saying they haven't sold well in his shop, which would mean Joe's happy because his sales have increased, but Jimmy's not happy because the products sat. That's a fair assessment, yet the products have always sold well during demo days, so it may just be that this product won't ever have explosive growth -- it's just going to be slow and steady over the years as more people try it.

Now Oggie grips.... that's a bust. But we also must take into account that some things sell better in different parts of the country.

In some ways, I think your impression of Oggie Grips being a bust is due to the internet. What I mean is there is a saying about "you don't know what you don't know" but it's the opposite here.

I haven't spoken with Joe in a couple of months, but he said the sales of the grips have increased each year. Plus he's starting to get NHL players to use the grips, although sometimes he modifies the grips so much that it's hard to tell. In any event, let's go back 5+ years to before MSH (or the Easton board) were created. Let's say you've never heard about an Oggie Grip, but you noticed something real weird on an NHL player's stick, so you ask the guy at the shop what it is. No idea. Enough kids ask that question all year before the owner of the shop makes a connection that that was the booth he buzzed by at the trade show, then he remembers he saw an ad by them in USA Hockey, so he calls Joe to inquire about carrying the grips.

That's a common chronology prior to the age of the message board. You wouldn't consider a product a bust because you'd have no idea how long it'd been on the market. In the case of Joe's product, I think it's crazy to suggest a product whose sales have increased annually is a bust, particularly when we know that NHL players using products help drive sales, and Joe didn't get NHL approval until last season (I believe).

I realize the counter argument could come from a retailer like Jimmy saying they haven't sold well in his shop, which would mean Joe's happy because his sales have increased, but Jimmy's not happy because the products sat. That's a fair assessment, yet the products have always sold well during demo days, so it may just be that this product won't ever have explosive growth -- it's just going to be slow and steady over the years as more people try it.

I was agreeing with "But we also must take into account that some things sell better in different parts of the country."

Oggie grips arent a bust until Joe stops making progress. I have yet to try one but have kept my ear to the ground and have recently contacted Joe. Seems like I have a bit more waiting before there will be one that I feel that I could try and be satisfied with.

I see a lot more Oggie's on the shelf at Hockey Giant, if that's any indication.

I tried one, didn't like it, sold it, bought another, tried it, thought it was okay, have someone who wants to buy it this weekend but using it again tonight.

You forget about CoreBeam, which was started in 2001. :)

You mean the Koho Corebeam? I thought that was the replacement to the Revolution DRC shaft, which was like 98'ish? could be completely wrong though

You are partially correct. However, also with the age of the internet and BB's, and hockey journals in every rink, many people are exposed to product advertising before a product even makes it to the stores. I judge popularity and sales potential by how many people ask me for a product, either phone calls or in the store. If there is enough interest, then I'll stock it. In the case of Oggies, I think I got a dozen from Ronnie B. at first. It took a yr to sell them. I think the problem was the amount of stick that had to be cut off to install them, people didn't want to risk it. it may be a great product, just lack of interest in our area for wierd butt plugs. FWIW, the angled ones didn't sell much either.

You forget about CoreBeam, which was started in 2001. :)

You mean the Koho Corebeam? I thought that was the replacement to the Revolution DRC shaft, which was like 98'ish? could be completely wrong though

No, Corebeam was the forerunner to ModSquad. The originators of this site left Corebeam and made this.

I'm in with TBL- Joe needs to make a few more styles of the Oggie to get me on one. The classic is too thin and the ergo is too radical. I emailed him via the site with some questions and have yet to hear back. If he made a classic that had ribs instead of X's, a knob that could be sanded to proper size and was uniformly thick from the shaft to the knob (save the raised ribs), I would have 5 or 6 probably.