Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

A good LHS will be able to tell if baking is going to do the trick or not for fitting a client's feet. It doesn't mean that they bake for anyone who just wants to try one on.

If the customer is actually there to buy skates, and the fitter is confident that baking will demonstrate a great fit, the store is not taking that big of a risk...most of the time those skates will be sold.

That's why good stores with good fitters are not that worried about baking...big chains are a very different story.

Just an update, I put my Makos on when I got home with proper hockey socks and the fit was great. It's still funny how hard it is to get your foot even in the boot prior to baking, but once the foot is in; it was a great fit for me. I am coming from an 8.5D APX (8.5D Mako).

Got the Makos yesterday. Baked them in the home oven, just as I did with MLX's, and they formed perfectly. As everyone has said they are super comfortable once baked, and it amazes me how much they adjust to your foot shape when heated. Coming from MLX skates, I already knew they were going to be comfortable, but they don't seem as solid as the MLX's were. They appear to have more give, and less "thickness" in the sidewall of the Quarters. Less material makes for lighter weight, but I wonder about protection, and longevity. Time will tell. The skates are so much "cleaner" than the MLX's were. They just have a much more finished look about them. I have to believe this is where Crucshank (sp?) always wanted the skate to be, and the merger with Easton allowed him to get there. The skate looks much better in person than in photos. Overall very excited, now to get them sharpened and onto the ice....

Got the Makos yesterday. Baked them in the home oven, just as I did with MLX's, and they formed perfectly. As everyone has said they are super comfortable once baked, and it amazes me how much they adjust to your foot shape when heated. Coming from MLX skates, I already knew they were going to be comfortable, but they don't seem as solid as the MLX's were. They appear to have more give, and less "thickness" in the sidewall of the Quarters. Less material makes for lighter weight, but I wonder about protection, and longevity. Time will tell. The skates are so much "cleaner" than the MLX's were. They just have a much more finished look about them. I have to believe this is where Crucshank (sp?) always wanted the skate to be, and the merger with Easton allowed him to get there. The skate looks much better in person than in photos. Overall very excited, now to get them sharpened and onto the ice....

I have to agree with your concern - I am definitely worried about protection and durability. For example, my APX quarter panels are beasts, I am worried that a shot to the foot would cause a lot more pain in the Mako. Also, will the boot be durable - as you said, time will tell. Anyone take any shots of the skate yet?

I have to agree with your concern - I am definitely worried about protection and durability. For example, my APX quarter panels are beasts, I am worried that a shot to the foot would cause a lot more pain in the Mako. Also, will the boot be durable - as you said, time will tell. Anyone take any shots of the skate yet?

Sorry, i try to avoid blocking shots at all costs.

I took three off the skate last night. Two left, one right. Both shots on the left skate were on the outside of a boot. Didn't feel it at all. Right foot was the inside of the foot because I opened up incorrectly to block the shot. Felt that one a bit, but no lasting pain or anything that made me wince in stride immediately afterward.

The MLX skates definitely felt more solid. I think that's because the material inside the boot was actually thicker. The Mako (liner) material is thinner. Construction-wise, the Makos seem more put together, if you will. I think the Mako's offer a better overall fit... at least you could kind of get your foot in the boot before baking this time around, if barely.

Would you say that the mako skate is a generation or an evolution of the mlx skate or the hybrid skate david cruickshank started out with?

Edited by iceman8310

The Mako is definitely a step forward from the MLX. It is an evolution of the MLX skate and you can clearly see its design heritage in the Mako. The mako skate is a more refined, and more finished product. It is however, clearly the next step in the MLX skate design.

If you liked the MLX, you will love the Mako.

The MLK appeared crude/unfinished in some aspects. The Mako looks more refined/finished. Early reports (granted some may based on new buyer euphoria) are favorable. Let's see what the concensus is down the line.

The MLK appeared crude/unfinished in some aspects. The Mako looks more refined/finished. Early reports (granted some may based on new buyer euphoria) are favorable. Let's see what the concensus is down the line.

Yes, this is so common on the boards as to not even be a phenomenon. Not to discredit any of the Mako owners in this thread, but if you check this thread in a month; the durability complaints, lace bite issues, new arch pain, et al. will be prevalent.

• Like 1

If anyone is still having problems getting their foot into the boot I recommend heating them up again and working the boot out just a little bit from the edges. I was getting some discomfort from the eyelets on both sides of my left foot when trying to put them on. Much better now that I've heated the boot again.

I bought a pair of Makos on Saturday, and skated in them for the first time last night. In sum, they're fantastic. The fit on the Makos is simply unlike any other skate I've tried. Some folks are saying they fit like sneakers. I think that's exaggeration. But the extent to which the boot wraps around your foot is difficult to describe - once you have them tied up, you feel almost like your foot has been sucked down into the boot. There's almost no room for your foot to move around. Heel lock is fantastic. The overall sensation is confidence inspiring, and I really did feel much better connected to the blades. Just very different than what I've grown used to over the past decade (Bauers and Grafs).

As for all the other features that Easton is marketing like mad - the "extendon" guard, asymmetrical design, forward pitch, etc. - you notice them, but for me at least, the difference in actual game play strikes me as marginal. I think the overall skate design does contribute to quickness in lateral motion and efficiency (i.e., getting the most out of) in your stride. But the differences don't seem terribly significant. In fairness, I've skated in them only once, so there may be a learning curve before I adjust enough to get the full benefit.

But for me, the fit of the boot is the make-or-break feature. I'm sure there will be feet that just don't work for this particular boot. But after years - literally years - of dealing with one of (a) foot pain, bone growths on my heels and my forefoot, etc., or (b) little or no pain, but feeling like my foot was swimming in my boot, I may have found a boot that really works for me.

As you can tell, I'm pretty amped about these suckers. But I'm happy to come back in a month or so and provide an update.

My overall verdict / advice: if the price doesn't offend you, and you've had issues with finding boots that fit well, you should give these a long look. On the other hand, if you haven't had fit issues and are considering these solely for the other features (extendon guard, asymmetrical design, forward pitch), the benefits may not justify the costs.

Cheers.

is there any mounting system that is compatible with cxn holder? (e.gstep steel)

If you are asking if any aftermarket steel is available for this skate, the answer is not yet.

Interesting comment from our Central League EQM. He won't order these for the players because he's worried about injury at the Achilles tendon.

I'm playing again tonight but hope to avoid shots off the foot. Hopefully I won't be able to comment on protection. I tend to agree with Wrangler, buy skates for skating and add protection as needed. And quit flamingo'ing on shots! I watch guys do it all the time and then complain that they took one right to the laces.

Edited by Chadd
soliciting

Buy skates for skating. If you want protection, buy protection.

Not what I meant. In comparison to the MLX skates these appear less protective to me. The MLX skates were like tanks, and I took many hard shots off of them, and did not feel a thing. For those who have worn the MLX skates, they know that one of the benefits, whether intended or not was "protection" for those times you take one off the skates. So in comparison to those skates, they appear less protective. In comparison to what I have seen of the other brands skates, they seem about the same. My comparison was to the MLX skates only.

Anyone knows who wears the Mako's in the NHL ?

I was thinking Mike Cammalleri might be wearing them since is used to play with S17 but looks like he's playing with another brand "not to name it" by looking at his youtube video's from this season.

I did find a picture of him trying them out during the lockout.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/10/05/nhl_lockout_flames_mike_cammalleri_hits_ice_with_richmond_hill_bantam_team.html

I saw a couple of players wearing the Mako's while watching a game on TV 2-3 weeks ago but don't remember who they were.

Edited by hcm

Buy skates for skating. If you want protection, buy protection.

Not what I meant. In comparison to the MLX skates these appear less protective to me. The MLX skates were like tanks, and I took many hard shots off of them, and did not feel a thing. For those who have worn the MLX skates, they know that one of the benefits, whether intended or not was "protection" for those times you take one off the skates. So in comparison to those skates, they appear less protective. In comparison to what I have seen of the other brands skates, they seem about the same. My comparison was to the MLX skates only.

The reason I didn't quote your post in my message is that I wasn't directing that comment to you. You were one of a few people who mentioned protection, and that was just my two cents on the subject.

Anyone knows who wears the Mako's in the NHL ?

I was thinking Mike Cammalleri might be wearing them since is used to play with S17 but looks like he's playing with another brand "not to name it" by looking at his youtube video's from this season.

I did find a picture of him trying them out during the lockout.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2012/10/05/nhl_lockout_flames_mike_cammalleri_hits_ice_with_richmond_hill_bantam_team.html

I saw a couple of players wearing the Mako's while watching a game on TV 2-3 weeks ago but don't remember who they were.

Off the top of my head I saw Pavelski in them for the Sharks last night, and I know Gonchar has been wearing them.

Also I just found out NHL Prospect Max Domi played with them this season for the London Knights OHL.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130308005050/en/Mako-Easton%E2%80%99s-Quest-Build-World%E2%80%99s-Fastest-Skate

His comments are similar to most I found on this thread.

you can see him on a shootout against Sarnia on the March 9th recap video.

http://www.londonknights.com/main/index

Thanks!