Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonguesOUT4life

Who avoids taking slap shots ?

Yah I'm no pro I play B and C at 8 rinks but it's still competitive enough. May drill someone once and awhile but that's part of the game. I've been drilled myself enough. Which is also why all my gear is top end. I've also been creamed numerous times in a no hitting league so whT do us do!

at the end of the day this isn't ringette right? We're are grown men playing a pretty intense fast game. 

Not shooting because of sticks is just weird though I'm really hard on Sticks with tonnes of shots and they usually last me 2-3 months playing 2-4 games a week. I'm a Bauer guy can't say much for Easton or other brands any more. They are much more durable than they used to be. My god my first comp Stick was an S17 and wow I broke those each week. Blades flying off and elliptical was always braking The bauers now are very durable and take a beating 

people do seem to hate the slapper though if u use it to much in a game but really if u have the shot take it. To many people try and skate the puck across the goal line these days. 

For most of my hockey life I played wing and was always good at playing on the edge of the crease. I have no issues with slap shots coming in, just keep them low. Like below the waist low. Any higher than that and it really limits any chance of deflection where my stick doesn't get questioned on if it was to high. I know I may take a shot off my body but I'd rather take it off my pants or shin guards than chest protector, helmet or some open spot like my face or stomach.

Back to the subject, you shouldn't worry about a piece of that is specifically designed to do something. If the replacement expense is to great than find a less expensive one. Most lower level players would have a hard time telling the difference.

12 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

Playing in LA I've noticed a lot of guys don't go for the slap shot, or shoot ever, really. I like to think it's because of an area told how great Gretzky was, so most players think they have to dangle and do the fanciest move possible to score a goal. This always works out best at pick up sessions when the east coast guys start to cycle and score the garbage goals.

Not trying to sound superior or anything, but I definitely see a difference in styles of play from the different coasts.

Hmm... are you sure it's where they're from rather than their actual skill level? I've never seen a pickup where you could tell what coast they were from by just looking at the way they play. In the higher level divisions here, I see most teams play an "east coast" style according to you. But maybe that's because nobody from the West Coast is good enough to play in higher level divisions?

Haha just blew up my one month old 1s on a one timer last night. 

That at is odd! But that's what warranties are for.

my last 1n broke at 5 month mark on a slapper 

8 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

I haven't taken a good clapper in 5 years. Was never great on one-timers, either.

I had a one timer in my game this week, but the goalie made a great stop.  Just below the faceoff dot and the D on the other side gave me a perfect pass. I put is tight to the post and just above the leg pad but the goalie got across quick enough to get it. 

1 hour ago, GloriousLeader said:

But you're the man when you go top shelf with a slapper Brett Hall style...

But But But... A REAL MAN doesn't use a 65 flex.... 

Real Men use 100 Flex sticks.  :tongue:

11 hours ago, Ashtasticness said:

Yeah but I feel like I'd break it cause I'd do it wrong. I feel like I hold back big time cause I don't know what I'm doing.

Practice makes perfect. Once you're comfortable taking them, you'll find opportunities in a game to take one or two.

For the times I play defense, I wish I had a slap shot of any kind...but alas, I have not been able to put one together yet that I works at all.  I'm usually at wing (although my team this season had me at center) so I stick to my wristers & one-timers.

If there is anyone in front of the net I pretty much wont. Or if I do it is relatively not hard and low made for a tip rather than scoring. I don't play hockey where it matters anymore and I'd rather not possibly injure someone... I wish others would do the same and stop stepping over the blue line and just letting it go with 3 people in front of them.

had my first game of my sub spring team last night. the other team took a lot of clappers from the point. i don't remember any one them going in. but the rebounds did. I think (in the lower level beer leagues) guys/teams use the slap shot almost as a sign on power, flexing the muscles for the opposing team. i know it worked on us. we got mercy'ed out by the 2nd period. (but we did suck big time. first time we had the team on the ice.) the game was not at all chippy, bunch of good guys on the other bench, who were out there to play (winning seemed secondary)  after out a$$ beating, we scrimmaged for a good 30 mins. there were NO clappers from the point for the rest of the night. just two teams working on skills and having a good time. 

i've picked up a bunch of sticks i like on the cheap, so if i break one, thats just part of it. i don't think I'm good enough to warrant a stick over 100 bucks right now. and besides, i don't need a $300 stick to do a stick lift, steal, and pass it back to the other team. :facepalm:  

that said, if i had a slap shot of my own i would use it to get the puck on the net. if...it goes in, it gets deflected, it gets rebounded in, its still putting the puck is the right place, and get it closer to the back of the net.

remember:   “You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take.” 
― Wayne Gretzky

10 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

Practice makes perfect. Once you're comfortable taking them, you'll find opportunities in a game to take one or two.

It's weird cause I grew up playing softball through highschool so it's definitely a transition to use different mechanics and having a different swing.

When I'm playing I'll occasionally take a slap shot, being a defenseman it really depends on how I get the puck.  If its a clean reception of the pass or I didn't have any issues controlling it I may use a slap shot, depends on what I want to do, honestly most of the ones I fire off are more one timers or opportunistic than anything else.  However, I much prefer using a wrist shot from the point, the accuracy is better for me and I can control the height of the shot much more readily so I can give my guys a chance to deflect it, and it gives me an out if the opposing player closes quickly, I.e. I can ring it around, or do what I need to get it in deep.  As far as sticks go I'm not worried about them breaking,  if you have the right flex and decent mechanics they should stand up to fair amount of wear and tear from shooting.

22 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

had my first game of my sub spring team last night. the other team took a lot of clappers from the point. i don't remember any one them going in. but the rebounds did. I think (in the lower level beer leagues) guys/teams use the slap shot almost as a sign on power, flexing the muscles for the opposing team. i know it worked on us. we got mercy'ed out by the 2nd period. (but we did suck big time. first time we had the team on the ice.) the game was not at all chippy, bunch of good guys on the other bench, who were out there to play (winning seemed secondary)  after out a$$ beating, we scrimmaged for a good 30 mins. there were NO clappers from the point for the rest of the night. just two teams working on skills and having a good time. 

i've picked up a bunch of sticks i like on the cheap, so if i break one, thats just part of it. i don't think I'm good enough to warrant a stick over 100 bucks right now. and besides, i don't need a $300 stick to do a stick lift, steal, and pass it back to the other team. :facepalm:  

that said, if i had a slap shot of my own i would use it to get the puck on the net. if...it goes in, it gets deflected, it gets rebounded in, its still putting the puck is the right place, and get it closer to the back of the net.

remember:   “You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don't take.” 
― Wayne Gretzky

This seems like the case way too often..

My friend can barely skate and has a good slapshot. You're not cool because you can take a slapshot chest high in a LL game/drop-in. All the stick and shoots here are primarily people taking high slapshots. No problem with that, do it there instead. IMO a low wrister from the point is more effective than even a low slapshot, in lower level play anyways. Too often a puck will deflect off a low slapshot and hit someone in the chest or face.

C or higher, go ahead but do it low. Drop-ins and lower level beer leagues should be wrist and snap shots only.

2 minutes ago, Bbd94 said:

This seems like the case way too often..

My friend can barely skate and has a good slapshot. You're not cool because you can take a slapshot chest high in a LL game/drop-in. All the stick and shoots here are primarily people taking high slapshots. No problem with that, do it there instead. IMO a low wrister from the point is more effective than even a low slapshot, in lower level play anyways. Too often a puck will deflect off a low slapshot and hit someone in the chest or face.

yeah, i've seen this too, the guy who cant really skate, but you know he's in the driveway trying to get more speed into the slapper every chance he gets. (that guy scares me at open/pickup)

Every once in a while at stick time an entire end of the ice will be closed off ad hoc as an impromptu firing range by a bunch of beer players lined up along the blue line. They're just having harmless fun but during crowded stick and pucks that situation is a little annoying. But that's hockey.

Some of them have pretty heavy and somewhat controlled clap bombs but in their games these guys take an overhead windup and release the shot with the energy of a saucer pass lobbed at the net.

Like almost everything else in hockey it only matters to your game results if you can do it at the pace of your league's play while slightly to heavily fatigued and under the stress of defensive pressure.

On 3/24/2016 at 1:42 PM, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

“You miss one hundred percent of the shots that are 5ft high bombs off of the glass that make your team-mates not want to go anywhere near the net."

FFPUT

(fixed for pick up truth)

Puck popped out to me in the high slot Thursday night.  No one around...  I cruised in for the one timer bomb and.........  BOOM!  fluttered it into the corner like a dying worm burner.....

Next time I wrist it!!!!

On 3/24/2016 at 1:42 PM, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

had my first game of my sub spring team last night. the other team took a lot of clappers from the point. i don't remember any one them going in. but the rebounds did.

And that's exactly why I use my slapper, to create scoring opportunities for the forwards around the net. The goalie has a much better chance of preventing or controlling rebounds on a wrist shot. 

I liked what VIN said, slappers are an opportunity kinda shot i believe.  Personally, I take them, when the opportunity arises and the situation calls for a low, hard shot.  As for the decision of taking one or not...that for me, would NEVER include worrying about my stick breaking.  A good hard slapper does not mean you have to put ALL your strength into the shot... If your technique is decent, a backswing waist high is usually sufficient.

I let em rip whenever I can. Yeah sticks are expensive, but whats the point of buying an elite performing stick if its going to limit/change the way I play. The main benefit of high end sticks is what they do for your shot.

This is how I feel about this topic:

There is a quote gem Pirelli (yes the tire guys) and it goes something like "power is nothing without control".

one of my first men's league games in Boston I was skating backwards on D and a guy came skating down and wound up to the heavens for his slapshot and missed high and wide about 3 feet. This an example of the "hero shot". Anyone who says that a slapshot is a useless shot doesn't know what they are talking about, it can be very effective but not if you can't place it and especially if you have nothing behind it or take it in the wrong areas of the ice. 

1. A good hockey IQ must come with the slapshot, if you don't know when, where and how to take one, don't. Like the F word, which I used a lot, I use it and it works but not when I'm in front of someone's grandmother. Time, place and application 

2. What is the point of having a stick that enhances your game if you dumb down your game to preserve it? I get it, they're expensive but if you are altering your game for your gear, get different gear.

Im not a dangler, I don't care about pretty goals that are had by trying to deke through a forward and two D men only to lose the puck. I am a shooter and I take all shots, my slapshot application consists of skating down the right or left side and ripping a shot in motion as well as the point but I use snapshots with less time and wrist shots with even less time to shoot. I have a fairly heavy shot in the 80s. 

3. Slashes, hacks, and blocked shots are how I feel most sticks are broken, I've never broken a stick on a slapshot and I've found that wrist shots or snapshots that leave you hitting a defenders stick with the motion are worse than slapshot damage. 

4. "Deceptive shooting" is your best friend. Darryl Belfry videos on YouTube will help anyone start to shoot better and there are times where you need to take a clapper, wrist shot, slap pass, snapshot... Whatever. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight and don't bring a gun to a pool noodle fight. 

Take the best shot with the most control in the best spot you can take it... Whatever that shot may be.