Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

2014-2015 Gear Sightings

I thought Brodeur had pushed to have mirrored shields banned in the NHL. Something about not being able to see the shooter's eyes.

Ovi says this is exactly why he wears a tinted visor

kinda smart, but no way I could wear a tinted or mirrored visor

Sorry if this is old news, looked back a couple of pages and didn't see it talked about.........The most recent Warrior Full Circle podcast mentioned they had a new player they were adding but couldn't say who it was, they were hinting that it was Nick Backstrom. Bauer doesn't have him on their website anymore and he was in Warrior gloves for the hatty against Tampa.

*Edit: I guess I didn't look back far enough , it was talked about on page 8, but it now sounds/looks like he may have a Warrior deal.

I thought Brodeur had pushed to have mirrored shields banned in the NHL. Something about not being able to see the shooter's eyes.

Ovi says this is exactly why he wears a tinted visor

kinda smart, but no way I could wear a tinted or mirrored visor

I never played hockey goalie, but I was a lacrosse goalie for 10 years. The last place a goalie should be looking is at the shooters eyes. Not saying Brodeur didn't try to get these banned and that this isn't the reason Ovi wears one.

[quote name="strosedefence34" post="1017258" timestamp="1418669

I never played hockey goalie, but I was a lacrosse goalie for 10 years. The last place a goalie should be looking is at the shooters eyes. Not saying Brodeur didn't try to get these banned and that this isn't the reason Ovi wears one.

I've heard of lots of goalies that look at the shooters eyes, it makes the shots location easier to predict.

I recall reading a quote from a goalie complaining about Mario Lemieux being corner-perfect accurate when shooting for a spot other than the one he was actually looking at. Most people aren't Lemieux though.

I've heard of lots of goalies that look at the shooters eyes, it makes the shots location easier to predict.

Not saying goalies don't do it, but when I was training all my coaches growing up always said thats the last place you look is their eyes. As flip stated top athletes in the world can look at one spot and hit the other. I just don't see an NHL goalie looking into someone like Stamkos' or any other top shooter in the NHL eyes to see where they are shooting.

EDIT: Went and did a little searching on this one. While personally IMO I don't think a goalie should be looking at a shooters eyes it appears some of the top goalies will from time to time.

This article was about facing a shooter in a shootout. Seems like Brodeur and Lundqvist prefer to mostly watch the puck while Backstrom will look to see where the shooter is looking.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=415959

I believe this extends from just goalies too. When playing D I find that opposing fowards will follow my eyes as I look for an outlet pass. I intentionally look the opposite way and pass using my peripheral vision quite often.

I also know that my goalie looks at the puck handlers eyes on 2 on 1s to tell whether he is likely to pass or shoot.

A reflective visor would be advantageous in these situations. But I'll stick to my cage. Reflective visors look stupid :tongue:

Good god... My eyes are burning!

There's nothing wrong with the jerseys. The numbers are big so people can read them from the far away stands. The pants are horrible, though.

Or gray pants could have been cool. With this setup, it could look weird to see such a white midsection flowing over white ice. Not much contrast there, especially for a game where the viewing distance is greater than normal.

The jersey is OK, the white pants on the other hand are brutal.

I'm guessing the screening process for uniform designers isn't all that rigorous.

The jersey is OK, the white pants on the other hand are brutal.

I'm guessing the screening process for uniform designers isn't all that rigorous.

I have to believe the nhl has there hand involved in some aspect

When Gretzky played with LA?

I'd argue that that is white and black, with grey trim instead of the white and grey, with black trim that these stadium jerseys have

Maybe it was supposed to be white/black/grey but someone screwed up and did white/grey/black. That's a rational explanation