Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

A 17 year old kid was shot four times and rushed to the ER today, just as I was about to go home. I had to rush back into the hospital and prepare for an immediate surgery that lasted just over 6 hours. When we got him he had already died once in the ambulance, but was revived by the paramedics. We were able to stabilize him and successfully finish the surgery in about 6 hours and 15 minutes. The kid is now in stable condition and will soon be able to see his parents. The best part of the entire surgery is telling his family that we were able to bring their son back to life, and he is in good shape. That part of my job never gets old, although it does suck coming home at midnight to an entire family whose asleep.

A 17 year old kid was shot four times and rushed to the ER today, just as I was about to go home. I had to rush back into the hospital and prepare for an immediate surgery that lasted just over 6 hours. When we got him he had already died once in the ambulance, but was revived by the paramedics. We were able to stabilize him and successfully finish the surgery in about 6 hours and 15 minutes. The kid is now in stable condition and will soon be able to see his parents. The best part of the entire surgery is telling his family that we were able to bring their son back to life, and he is in good shape. That part of my job never gets old, although it does suck coming home at midnight to an entire family whose asleep.

Yeah but to that entire family, your entire family, and the rest of us you are a super hero! I bet it felt pretty damn good walking out of the hospital tonight! Strong work.

I wish I would have gone to school when I was younger. I am now trying to figure out; A. Do I go back to school get my BS, then go to grad school to become a PA. B. Get the pre-req's out of the way to go to Nursing school. C. Go through Paramedic School and stay with the fire service.

I love being a fireman but don't like all the down time. I bet you would not trade your time in the Hospital for anything!

Great job bigdmac, we're proud of you :biggrin:

Just curious though and I apologize if this seems insensitive, but how did you classify him as 'dead' before? Was it just no vitals or did you include brain activity into that as well?

Yeah but to that entire family, your entire family, and the rest of us you are a super hero! I bet it felt pretty damn good walking out of the hospital tonight! Strong work.

I wish I would have gone to school when I was younger. I am now trying to figure out; A. Do I go back to school get my BS, then go to grad school to become a PA. B. Get the pre-req's out of the way to go to Nursing school. C. Go through Paramedic School and stay with the fire service.

I love being a fireman but don't like all the down time. I bet you would not trade your time in the Hospital for anything!

Thank you, it really appreciate it. It's funny you say that though because I think if for some reason I had to leave the hospital, I would want to become a firefighter! As far as your question, being a PA is a fantastic job to have. I'm in Canada, and there still just being brought into the scene, so there's not too many of them. As far as I know, there pretty big in the States, and from what I've heard it's a great job to land. It does take lots of schooling though, so if your looking for something quicker I would recommend becoming a paramedic. There's no real reason behind that answer, just nurses have to put up with a lot of crap from people.(and clean a lot of it up too!) If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Great job bigdmac, we're proud of you :biggrin:

Just curious though and I apologize if this seems insensitive, but how did you classify him as 'dead' before? Was it just no vitals or did you include brain activity into that as well?

Thanks man, it really means alot. And as far as your question, you're not technically dead until your brain shuts down, but when your brain shuts down there's no real hope for you coming back to life. Your brain needs oxygen to survive, and your heart provides it with the oxygen it needs, so when your heart stops pumping, the brain stops getting the oxygen it needs. Your brain can "store" some extra oxygen for about 10 minutes, give or take. So even though you no longer have any vitals, you will still have brain activity for a short time. So when you hear someone was "dead" and brought back to life, it will usually means they had no vital signs. I really don't mind answering any medical questions anybody may have in the future!

Got my booking confirmation for my EIHA (English) Level 1 coaching course in June. Should be fun.

Well, I got my exam results back and I'm now a coach, just the time consuming registration paperwork to get out of the way.

And I'm dissapointed by the 97%. :wink:

Just got back from a three day camping trip at an amazing lake with amazing weather. Although I wasnt able to wakeboard because of my concussion I was able to fish. I should call it catching instead of fishing though, because we got 15 good sized trout and salmon in two days! And to top it off I'm able to play hockey again on Friday!

I got married on Saturday :smile:

It was a great time and everyone I've talked to said they had a lot of fun.

However with the MN govt shutdown it won't be legal and I won't be able to change my name until the state leaders compromise and get everything going again.

Edited by forbs02

There has been a massive increase in women wearing short shorts in the GTA.

This statement could just as easily wind up in the venting spot. Similar to spandex, short shorts should be a privilege and not a right.

I got married on Saturday :smile:

It was a great time and everyone I've talked to said they had a lot of fun.

However with the MN govt shutdown it won't be legal and I won't be able to change my name until the state leaders compromise and get everything going again.

Congrats, Kate!

Tried to send you a wall post on Facebook but for some reason it's saying that I have to add you as a friend, but when I try that, it says we are already friends...must be the name change ;-)

This statement could just as easily wind up in the venting spot. Similar to spandex, short shorts should be a privilege and not a right.

so far, it's been all good. alot of the women are definitely priveleged.

so far, it's been all good. alot of the women are definitely priveleged.

I work at a college. The first & the last month of the academic year it is a good place to be...... :tongue:

Hockey Giant is opening a store five minutes from where I live. I know I'm applying. I miss working with equipment.

yea we'll see how long they last...looking forward to it though!

Well, if the track record of that building has anything to do with it, it won't do well. haha

haha true. I told my roommate to apply. If I have a discount at Hockey Giant all of my paychecks may end up there.