Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

How many times does a company keep removing employee benefits without telling the employees... seems like everytime I check there is something new or wrong.

How???

It happens to me all the time, I have air that gets trapped and Collapses my right lung on occasion. I honestly thought I might had outgrown it because I haven't had an "attack" I guess in about 4 years.

My dad had the same problem but the doctor swears up and down that it's not heredity.

Can't Bud overturn the call though? I mean, the guy deserves the perfect game, and I think Cleveland would even agree with it.

Can't Bud overturn the call though? I mean, the guy deserves the perfect game, and I think Cleveland would even agree with it.

That would set a very dangerous precedent of the commissioner changing a judgement call ( safe or out, ball or strike) after the fact. It was a horrible call at the worst possible time (even the umpire admits that) but there is really nothing that can be done.

Edited by Hordie Gowe

That would set a very dangerous precedent of the commissioner changing a judgement call after the fact. It was a horrible call at the worst possible time (even the umpire admits that) but there is really nothing that can be done.

What should have been done is a conference with the umpires. For some reason umpires have made it official policy that they would rather be wrong than change a call. Accuracy is not #1 to them and hasn't been for a very long time. #1 is not showing weakness or admitting mistakes, #2 is making the right call, and thats a shame.

What should have been done is a conference with the umpires. For some reason umpires have made it official policy that they would rather be wrong than change a call. Accuracy is not #1 to them and hasn't been for a very long time. #1 is not showing weakness or admitting mistakes, #2 is making the right call, and thats a shame.

I wouldn't say its a 1, 2 situation. More of a 1a, 1b. I believe it works better this way anyway. This is a terrible time for it to take place, but if you start questioning calls, you have to question EVERY call. Its a steep slope.

That would set a very dangerous precedent of the commissioner changing a judgement call ( safe or out, ball or strike) after the fact. It was a horrible call at the worst possible time (even the umpire admits that) but there is really nothing that can be done.

The pine tar game about 30 years ago shows the precedent can be made WITHOUT a significant impact to the way the game is played and called. Hell, if the ump admits his mistake and other coaches are calling in support of Galarraga, it rests solely on Selig to make the right call. The classiness of Galarraga alone warrants a reversal on that call.

Joyce admitted he made a bad call, I'd say there's a good chance it gets overturned.

I'm happy that it overshadowed Griffey's retirement. If you made a top 10 list for underrated douchebaggery, Griffey would probably be #1.

Not to place any blame on the guy, but I'm a little surprised Cabrera insisted on going after that ball - that's a VERY routine ball to Guillen. If Cabrera would have just sit on the bag, the throw beats Donald by 10 feet, we pencil it in 4-3...and Galarraga is officially in the record books.

That being said, Cabrera made a pretty tough play look relatively easy.

Obviously, the fact that I think Cabrera should have left that ball for Guillen doesn't absolve Joyce.

That play is what we in the biz call "bang-bang."

I don't know, man. I generally agree with you, and it's a close play for sure....but it's certainly clear-cut enough that I think someone who has made a (lucrative) career of calling baseball games at the Major League level has to get it right. Donald is a full stride down the line when Galarraga gets the ball with his foot directly over-top of the bag. When a throw beats a runner by that much and there is no subsequent "searching" for the bag, I think you have to punch the guy out. "Close-ish" absolutely, but not quite "bang-bang". I know I had "aggressive" words with a few umps in my days of high school/summer travel ball on plays that were undoubtedly much closer than that one.

Anybody else think Joyce was out of position by a few feet on the call? I think that call gets a bit easier if he shuffles himself off the line (towards second base) a couple of giant steps.

I don't know about you guys but if I'm that ump, even if it was a close call, I'd give it to the pitcher about to throw a perfect game I mean come on!!!

Also, I understand he feels bad and all but I really hope that Selig reverses the call and I do not believe this sets precedent. This was an obvious blown call on a perfect game where the next play was an out anyway. If the opposing team's coach agrees to an overturn then I say do it.

After four years of nothing but problems my Alienware Laptop finally kicked the bucket last night. I do not know if it was the huge electrical storm (it was plugged in, but through a surge protector) or just finally it's time. That thing was 5k and nothing but problems since day one. I will never buy another Dell or Alienware product again. I was dragged through their mud by customer service, and the thing was back and forth to their Texas repair facility in the first year I had it more than I actually was able to use it. Just an all around frustrating experience for what was supposed to be a premier piece of equipment.

I will definitely be going with a Asus Laptop when the funds are there. The reviews are stellar and the $450 price tag is right in my ballpark. Until then the Netbook will be getting a lot of time.

Edited for Spelling

Edited by JoeyJ0506

The pine tar game about 30 years ago shows the precedent can be made WITHOUT a significant impact to the way the game is played and called. Hell, if the ump admits his mistake and other coaches are calling in support of Galarraga, it rests solely on Selig to make the right call. The classiness of Galarraga alone warrants a reversal on that call.

The 83 Brett pine tar game was a different situation as it was a rule issue and the rule at the time only called for the "removal of the bat" from play for excessive grip substances, with no exact penalty for the player using the bat. Today the rule is clearer and does not allow for a player to be called out or be ejected for using excessive pine tar, just the removal of the bat. The only change that may come of this is expanded replay, but sadly thats about it.

On a play like that, there is no way another umpire would have had a better look than the guy who choked the call.

Service department at Nissan dealer didn't put oil in our Maxima. Here I sit with a 2006 Nissan Maxima with a blown engine. Dealer basically won't help us as the car is out of warranty and they certainly aren't taking the blame on not putting oil in the car.

Nissan Motor Corp Customer Care has promised for a week to call us "before 5pm" but we've yet to hear from them for a week now.

Nice customer service... :rolleyes:

SubliTWILL, if this was my car, I'd take it to a mechanic that I trusted and have him inspect it. A good mechanic should be able to determine if there was any catastrophic failure (bad oil filter, gasket or seal failure, oil pan crack, etc) that would have dumped out all the oil. And he should be able to do it without breaking down the engine in any way.

If you have proof that the oil didn't leave the engine, you have pretty good proof that it wasn't in the engine in the first place.

On a play like that, there is no way another umpire would have had a better look than the guy who choked the call.

I've umped for five years, usually in a two man system but at times in a three man. I can guarantee you that every ump had their eyes on it, and the home plate ump in particular would be able to see the call well enough to have an opinion on it.

I don't know about you guys but if I'm that ump, even if it was a close call, I'd give it to the pitcher about to throw a perfect game I mean come on!!!

Also, I understand he feels bad and all but I really hope that Selig reverses the call and I do not believe this sets precedent. This was an obvious blown call on a perfect game where the next play was an out anyway. If the opposing team's coach agrees to an overturn then I say do it.

You're not supposed to take the situation into account though. That's how Roy Halladay got that hilarious strike zone the last three innings of his perfect game.

Days off are starting to put a serious wrench in my days. It's hard to enjoy some rest when your house-guest from hell is blaring crappy music from across the hall while she walks back and forth to the bathroom for 2 hours.

Sad part is, it's not even the tip of the iceberg of my frustrations.

Who cares about being in the record books, he gets a corvette!!

Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga has been given a 2010 Corvette convertible by General Motors for his near-perfect game that was wiped out by an umpire's blown call.

Edited by tro