Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

decoy

2016-2017 Gear Sightings

On 2017-02-25 at 6:51 AM, Kgbeast said:

They talk about monocoque Mako skates, so there is no outsole. +1 on Orange colors though.

Fair enough, no outsole but the bottom of the boot was prone to separating.  I had to warranty several pairs with the same issue.  JR's photo:

makobreak.JPG

18 minutes ago, mickz said:

Fair enough, no outsole but the bottom of the boot was prone to separating.  I had to warranty several pairs with the same issue.  JR's photo:

makobreak.JPG

I had one pair like this and two pairs that did the same @ the heel.

8 hours ago, mickz said:

makobreak.JPG

... monocoque my ass then. This is pretty horrible. Thanks for sharing.

7 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

adidas hockey liked this tweet. Reading too much into things?

So far, not for 2017, but the next possible opportunity would be the Tacks replacement

On 2/25/2017 at 9:51 AM, Kgbeast said:

They talk about monocoque Mako skates, so there is no outsole. +1 on Orange colors though.

The point where the boot turned down into the bottom of the skate was pretty much squared off, and cracks would develop along that crease..   They curved it more in the Mako 2.

On 27/02/2017 at 3:26 AM, gosinger said:

Those have been around for a while, actually there are multiple 2nd tier hockey brands that have the "same" products branded for them.

I.e. those gloves are also available from Sherwood as the T90 Pro.

Sher-Wood purchased TPS which is why the R8 lived on under the Sher-Wood name. 

19 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

adidas hockey liked this tweet. Reading too much into things?

Extremely doubtful.  I don't think that's a category they want to get into; took a very long time for Reebok to be accepted as a hardgoods brand.

1 minute ago, Top Cheddar said:

Sher-Wood purchased TPS which is why the R8 lived on under the Sher-Wood name.  This Fischer branded glove is a straight up copy.  They sure do look good though!

That factory in the Philippines have made the exact glove for a number of brands. 

The WinnWell glove was the exact same too.

57 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

There were Torspo branded versions of the R8 as well IIRC. Still love the FFH palms on the TPS ones. 

My R8's are my go to pond hockey gloves.  I used them in college so they are a little beat up.  The palms are still in decent shape.

19 minutes ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Actually, that would be Kor from where all of these came from.  #fact

Off topic but why was it some Kor skates came with Pitch 3 holders and others, Custom+?

1 hour ago, JunkyardAthletic said:

Actually, that would be Kor from where all of these came from.  #fact

How do you mean?

Just now, flip12 said:

How do you mean?

The KOR boot was the original speed skate inspired skate without a separate outsole and an extremely moldable boot that had bake times over 10 minutes.

Here's an excerpt from a KOR  marketing piece:

1. Unibase™ Engineered using 3-dimensional, optical-laser censoring systems, Kor creates an anatomical, thermal-reactive foot shape. Precision contouring that integrates human anatomy and machine-made steel results in the exponential transfer of kinetic energy from muscle to ice.

The Mako 2's are my favourite skates of all time, but only due to the fact that the toe cap is more comfortable for me than the one on the KORs. The KOR Shift 1 is a very close second followed by the Torspo Surge 221's that were made with the stolen KOR molds. The Shift 2's were a bit too wide in the mid-foot for me and I had issues where the toe cap met the boot. The Mako 2's are more comfortable for me and are a bit lighter, but the KOR Shift 1's that were released almost a decade before them are a very close second in both performance and comfort. The Shift 1's were also much more durable than the original Makos.

1 hour ago, mickz said:

Off topic but why was it some Kor skates came with Pitch 3 holders and others, Custom+?

Early production runs of the  KOR Shift 1's were produced with Custom+ holders and then KOR made a deal with Mission to use the Pitch 3 holders on the skates. Most of the skates had Pitch 3 holders, but Hockey Giant did sell some with the Custom+ holders. All the Shift 2 skates used Pitch 3 holders.

Anyone notice Easton e900 (I think that's the model) helmets being branded as Bauer? Interesting since most Easton helmets just got unbranded, but Anton Stralman has Bauer on his

Edit: found a picture

9839640-nhl-nashville-predators-at-tampa