Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

@aireaye................don't have quite the coin to go custom. Can I even get Bauer to make some average joe like me a custom pair? My research showed me for production top of the line skates Graf is the ONLY one still hand making skates in Canada. The newest TotalOnes are out of Thailand and the APX2 are out of China. Mind you they still carry an $800 price tag.

@flip 12 whats VH? I'm new to these boards so please forgive my ignorance. Do you mean Vaughen Hockey?

Thanks for the clarifications,

Edited by jr2000d

@aireaye................don't have quite the coin to go custom. Can I even get Bauer to make some average joe like me a custom pair? My research showed me for production top of the line skates Graf is the ONLY one still hand making skates in Canada. The newest TotalOnes are out of Thailand and the APX2 are out of China. Mind you they still carry an $800 price tag.

@flip 12 whats VH? I'm new to these boards so please forgive my ignorance. Do you mean Vaughen Hockey?

Yeah VH too, they make custom hand-made pairs. Several of the Winnipeg Jets wore them.

Custom will run you ~$1000 give or take. It's an upcharge over regular retail on top-end in most cases. Bauer could do them for you if you have a fitter in your area.

Sorry, I didn't mean to just throw it out there without clarification. VH stands for Scott Van Horne's company VH Footwear. There's a huge thread on here about the whole history of his current production line, but the short story is Scott's a former Canadian national team speed skater who started making speed skates about 20-years ago and has been making hockey skates for a little over 5 years: first under DASC, which became MLX, which got bought buy Easton and became the Mako, and now VH makes their own skates a lot like the MLX, with some variations made to that design.

I'm a huge fan of classic Graf attributes (in a lot but not all of their old skates): lower cut boots, more foot-wrap and much more anatomical fit (for my feet), longer steel, aggressive pitch. I'll finally get to skate in MLX boots once my pair clears customs here, but from what I've gathered, they have a lot more in common with those attributes I like about Graf than they do with other skates on the market, but with newer technology and an extremely thermoformable boot.

A few links: VH Footwear thread on here, which has links to VH Footwear's site.

MLX thread, which died a horrible death due to seriously sad marketing practices from within MLX.

All in all, I'm thrilled about the speedskate's incursion on the hockey market.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 3

Nice skates but I've seen more quality issues on Graf than any other manufacturer in recent years. I don't think country of origin matters as much as you think. I'll stop there as the topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

• Like 2

Nice skates but I've seen more quality issues on Graf than any other manufacturer in recent years. I don't think country of origin matters as much as you think. I'll stop there as the topic has been beaten to death in other threads.

This. We're in 2014 man.

• Like 2

I think what it comes down to is whether you want to support your local economy and your fellow countrymen. I am in SE Asia so I am not trying to be Mr. Nationalistic "I only buy Made in the U.S.A." The skates that are being made out here (Asia) seem to be holding up as well as any skates made anywhere, ever.

And in the interest of keeping the thread on topic, the GRIT HT5 Tower:

4D82DD73-84CB-41DA-97E8-A3BA36ACF27C_zps

Edited by Cosmic
  • Like 1

I got a Pro Stock version from a buddy who knows the CCM rep. The stick is crazy smooth. I've been using a CCM RBZ Stage 2 and since using the Tacks stick it now feels like a old POS woodie.

Blade is stiff with a lot of feel. Flex point is great for wrist shots and slap shots. Its the most linear feeling flex sticks I've ever used. Only stick that has come close is the Bauer TotalOne Supreme. Close but still light years away.

While I am no pro its still cool to have a prostock in the bag. :dry:

IMG_3977_zpsbfb12718.jpg

IMG_3978_zps58213e45.jpg

IMG_3979_zps633340e0.jpg

IMG_3980_zps5dcc1594.jpg

New Wheels. Been only able to skate in them twice so far. Loving them. Graf Ultra G9035 95 Flex, Tuuk Lightspeed 2 Holder, Step Steel, Superfeet Yellow Insoles.

My decision came down to country of origin. For my money I want my skates hand made in Canada.......Only one company left in the equipment game doing that.............Graf Canada!

Did you try on the other flex (85 I believe) before buying? I'm curious if people are really feeling a difference in stiffness.

Couldn't resist these. $10 for a brand new pair. Local proshop had a bunch of things tucked away they forgot about...

DSC00233_zpsdd8abb12.jpg

My 13 year old self just lost his mind seeing this. Great pick up!

• Like 4

Couldn't resist these. $10 for a brand new pair. Local proshop had a bunch of things tucked away they forgot about...

DSC00233_zpsdd8abb12.jpg

Do you know if he has anymore or any other interesting 90's gear?

They had 1 more pair of these and a lot Tour and Franklin stuff (inline rink), nothing too interesting. They had them marked down to $35 from $80, I asked if they'd take $10 (all I had on me at the time) since they are trying to get rid of everything, they took it! If they still have the other pair when I go back next week I'll pick them up.

That's beyond amazing!

The roller rink where I help coach has a lot of used 90's early 2000's gear that has been donated over time and the gear nerd in me gets all giddy whenever I look through it all.

• Like 2