Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2017-2018 Gear Sightings

25 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Looks more like shot blockers. 

With Bauer logos on them? I have seen a handful of historical Supreme skate wearers with blacked out skates this year. 

26 minutes ago, JGraz15 said:

With Bauer logos on them? I have seen a handful of historical Supreme skate wearers with blacked out skates this year. 

They're adhesive shot blockers. There is a few NHL players that are using them. It fooled me a few times :)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JGraz15 said:

28 minutes ago, GiancarloSFL said:

They're adhesive shot blockers. There is a few NHL players that are using them. It fooled me a few times :)

You can tell by the left skate, the way the laces/eyelets don't quite look right. 

Yes, they're getting pretty stealthy with these things now. I'm amused at the way they're making the skate look so much nicer by putting shot blockers on! :10_wink:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GiancarloSFL said:

I'm pretty sure the Rangers are requiring every player to wear some sort of shot blocker on their skates, like they did years ago with the gloves, so there's a bunch of them with the black adhesive kind (last year a bunch had them too).  I also agree that the blacked out skates often look much better than the originals.

• Like 1

Just now, Cavs019 said:

Less silver paint, more black paint. Application of red paint appears to be about equal to the 2016 model. 

But it's about where the silver paint is applied! Now it's on the handle and hosel instead of the whole shaft!

5 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

I tried it on...felt like a football helmet. Amazingly heavy and bulky.

This was my fear all along.  Virginia Tech taking their football testing protocol and applying the same standards to hockey helmets.  Now we have mfg's that are only really concerned with building a helmet to best attain ratings from VT,  so they can be top of the list.  Does their testing take into account that hockey players move at faster speeds and different types of impacts as well as what effect all that extra weight is going to have on players necks?  The whiplash affect could lead to other problems.  It seems to me there is more to testing helmets than just taking a large mallet and slamming it into 4 spots on a helmet to determine if it is safe or not.  I don't have a dog in the fight,  but a heavier bulkier helmet just to attain ratings seems silly.  I suppose some of the mfg's may have caved to this ratings system and will be patiently taking data on injuries to later disprove or discredit the VT ratings system.

Edited by Zac911
spelling
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Zac911 said:

This was my fear all along.  Virginia Tech taking their football testing protocol and applying the same standards to hockey helmets.  Now we have mfg's that are only really concerned with building a helmet to best attain ratings from VT,  so they can be top of the list.  Does their testing take into account that hockey players move at faster speeds and different types of impacts as well as what effect all that extra weight is going to have on players necks?  The whiplash affect could lead to other problems.  It seems to me there is more to testing helmets than just taking a large mallet and slamming it into 4 spots on a helmet to determine if it is safe or not.  I don't have a dog in the fight,  but a heavier bulkier helmet just to attain ratings seems silly.  I suppose some of the mfg's may have caved to this ratings system and will be patiently taking data on injuries to later disprove or discredit the VT ratings system.

VT discredited themselves with this “study” and to my knowledge has yet to be peer reviewed so I’m not sure any manufacturers or the scientists and engineers they employ are going to adjust their methodologies or products on a bogus study that’s USA Hockey marketed to everyone’s detriment.

i can only speak for the company, I was with at the time but, we had many rebuttals for customers with concerns about their helmet related to what they had read in the steady and it wasn’t difficult to demonstrate how and why that information was presented poorly and how little correlation there was based on the experimental design.

This experiment represents only one methodology for testing hockey helmets. The authors admit: “there are a near-infinite number ways to test a helmet,” which could affect the test results. Therefore, this study does not prove if a specific helmet will or will not prevent or even reduce the risk of concussion if worn by a hockey player.”

-USA Hockey statement on VT study

Edited by nisselrm

1 hour ago, nisselrm said:

VT discredited themselves with this “study” and to my knowledge has yet to be peer reviewed so I’m not sure any manufacturers or the scientists and engineers they employ are going to adjust their methodologies or products on a bogus study that’s USA Hockey marketed to everyone’s detriment.

i can only speak for the company, I was with at the time but, we had many rebuttals for customers with concerns about their helmet related to what they had read in the steady and it wasn’t difficult to demonstrate how and why that information was presented poorly and how little correlation there was based on the experimental design.

This experiment represents only one methodology for testing hockey helmets. The authors admit: “there are a near-infinite number ways to test a helmet,” which could affect the test results. Therefore, this study does not prove if a specific helmet will or will not prevent or even reduce the risk of concussion if worn by a hockey player.”

I am aware of the many rebuttals.  Unfortunately the MFG's seem to have made a change in their helmets to cater to these tests.  The results speak for themselves.  The long term data on injuries has yet to come to light,  but I can imagine if the numbers are detrimental in terms of number of injuries and additional injuries further exacerbated by wearing heavier helmets then it will reflect poorly on VT and their protocols... It's only then consumers will take this helmet ratings system with a grain of salt.

As much helmets "need" to be updated for safety, so do coaching standards. I don't think enough kids are taught how to handle hockey checking/contact nor how to appropriately dish it out. In regards to the helmet, I hope this isn't a trend. 

15 hours ago, nisselrm said:

I'm not seeing it, how did they discredit themselves?

If you look at the VT lab's own site, http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php, the second item in the right column is a link to their study published in The Annals of Biomedical Engineering, two years ago.

Edit: another source for finding the study, if you just expand the section you quoted from http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/498353

"Therefore, this study does not prove if a specific helmet will or will not prevent or even reduce the risk of concussion if worn by a hockey player.

1. Rowson B, Rowson S, Duma SM. Hockey STAR: A Methodology forAssessing the Biomechanical Performance of Hockey Helmets. Annals of Biomedical Engineering (_ 2015) DOI: 10.1007/s10439-015-1278-7."

The publication of their research in a peer-reviewed journal is literally the next text in USA Hockey's release.

Edited by flip12
  • Like 1