Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nutters

2017-2018 Gear Sightings

4 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Back when goalies had to rely on positioning and reflexes, as opposed to being 6'6" with giant equipment.  I'm waiting for some GM to figure out he can just strap the pads on a Yokozuna that just blocks the whole net. 

Hell, these days goalies don't even need to be able to catch a puck with their glove. They just gotta make sure it doesn't fall out.

large_HankWC.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

Back when goalies had to rely on positioning and reflexes, as opposed to being 6'6" with giant equipment.  I'm waiting for some GM to figure out he can just strap the pads on a Yokozuna that just blocks the whole net. 

Don't think it hasn't been thought of!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/sports/hockey/charles-b-wang-the-islanders-unorthodox-owner.html

• Like 1

On 11/18/2017 at 2:56 PM, GoalForFun said:

Hell, these days goalies don't even need to be able to catch a puck with their glove. They just gotta make sure it doesn't fall out.

large_HankWC.jpg

Isn't part of the reason that he "catches" that way because he cant close his hand though?

• Like 1

shhhhh don't give away his secrets.  BTW, I guess the power of his chromed out mask wore off and he went back to the more blue one last night.  He got a shutout so I'm guessing we won't be seeing the chrome one for a while.

9 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

Isn't part of the reason that he "catches" that way because he cant close his hand though?

Nah, just get into the circle jerk of goalies aren't actually talented and it is all the gear while ignoring the introduction of composite sticks and actual defensive systems.

• Like 2

Most NHLers can shred goalies apart when they get looks in high percentage scoring areas.

They hard part is actually getting to those scoring areas- which has nothing to do with goalies. But I digress...

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

in one of the last season games, I heard the commentator saying that Henrik uses the glove that is not designed to be closed and has no real way to be closed. He uses some technique to catch the puck by twisting the arm instead or something like that

Edited by Kgbeast
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

in one of the last season games, I heard the commentator saying that Henrik uses the glove that is not designed to be closed and has no real way to be closed. He uses some technique to catch the puck by twisting the arm instead or something like that

Yes, this is correct. He specifically has his glove made to be as open as possible to maximize surface area and has it super stiff so he can't actually close it. It doesn't work too well though since he still gets sniped glove side.

1 hour ago, GoalForFun said:

Yes, this is correct. He specifically has his glove made to be as open as possible to maximize surface area and has it super stiff so he can't actually close it. It doesn't work too well though since he still gets sniped glove side.

Haha based on that logic, no goalie should wear a glove. They are ALL get/will get sniped glove side. Given his numbers, I think Hank has done well for himself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

Most NHLers can shred goalies apart when they get looks in high percentage scoring areas.

They hard part is actually getting to those scoring areas- which has nothing to do with goalies. But I digress...

You can see it on 2-on-1's. I don't know the percentages (how many shots get taken from where and what the goals scored rate is on those shots), but from noticing a lot of 2-1 goal highlights, I've noticed many that fit the same pattern: puck carrier holds the defender in the middle until reaching the top of the faceoff circle and then firing a clean shot where the goalie didn't have a chance to react. My observational method is biased, but I've noticed it so many times it seems like it's an established/coached approach.

man... I saw this thread with like 7 new posts,  I thought someone saw something cool... Better luck next time I guess.

Edited by Kgbeast
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

man... I saw this thread with like 7 new posts,  I thought someone saw something cool... Better luck next time I guess.

That’s pretty much how we feel about Blue Jackets posts ;)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nothin-but-net/

Great article on GOAT goalies. During their first Cup winning season, Bernie Parent had a .933 save percentage, despite having to cover probably 30% more net than today's goalies. Incredible.

yeah he also didn't wear a mask cause guys were shooting with heavy flat blade sticks and could barely lift the puck past knee height

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s pretty much how we feel about Blue Jackets posts ;)

ahh... how kind. Someone actually opening my threads, hoping to see something cool :). I am flattered.

7 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

by this logic wouldn't most NHL players score on nearly every shootout attempt?

10 hours ago, chippa13 said:

It isn't like they're going to show the dozen 2 on 1 plays that didn't result in goals during the highlights.

Exactly. That's the bias I was talking about.

15 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

yeah he also didn't wear a mask cause guys were shooting with heavy flat blade sticks and could barely lift the puck past knee height

You need to do some research, or at least use the googler.

• Like 1