Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jeffg

prostockhockeysticks

I just placed my first custom order of 6 sticks with Geppetto. Now the wait begins.

I've used a bunch of his "in stock" Red and Yellow line builds and have overall been very happy. 

For budget players, if he has a curve you like, there is absolutely no reason not to try a Yellow Line build. Obviously, I'm going to stick with his higher end builds at this point. However, at that Yellow Line price point- there's not much that comes remotely close in performance, and that's not even factoring in all the curve and flex options readily available during one of his restocks. 

The Red Lines definitely don't shoot like my Trigger 6 Pro does (last retail stick I was using), but the performance out of these sticks is definitely there. 

As long as his pricing structure and options stay somewhat consistent, he's got a customer for life. 

I'm actually contemplating biting the bullet and doing 6 more customs right now. That way I'm stocked up for a bit, and don't have to think about it for awhile. 

On 6/14/2023 at 4:48 PM, BLKHKhockey said:

P92 has too high a lie for my liking and the blade is a bit longer than I'd like, or else I'd switch back. Plus, I really like the Barkov for puck control and backhands. First couple times on the ice with the Barkov, my wrist/snap shot was fine. Not as accurate or hard as with the P92, but I quickly picked up that I had to release my shot earlier/more towards the toe. One-timers I had a little more trouble with- off the heel/mid blade had no zip, off near the toe was getting flubbed. I'm guessing the P92 just made me "lazy" with my shot mechanics. Same with saucers: P92 just takes a little flick of the wrists, the Barkov needs a more pronounced motion IME.

All in all, I really enjoy it. Just need to work on one-timers. Not sure I'd go with it again...I already feel it starting to whip out after 3 months playing 1-2/wk. In the shaft and in the blade. Might try the McDavid next or maybe even a Mark Stone pro stock.

Have you considered a 5 lie P92? True makes one for retail (TC2.5/T92.5). So does Sherwood (PP92). You can also get it through the Bauer custom store if you want to splash the cash.

48 minutes ago, birky said:

Have you considered a 5 lie P92? True makes one for retail (TC2.5/T92.5). So does Sherwood (PP92). You can also get it through the Bauer custom store if you want to splash the cash.

I've seen them out there. Hard to beat the value of prostockhockeysticks, though.

Stumbled on these guys on IG, the team I coach is a 2013 AAA team and last season the kids must have went through 14-15 CCM, Bauer, and Warrior top end youth and junior sticks last season. $200 a piece or so and they'd last 3-6 weeks with only one warranty I was getting frustrated.

We tried Hockeystickman first, that wasn't great and never was used in a game but then I read a ton about prostock and for the price on the juniors I decided to try it out.

My kid came from a youth trigger 7 pro 30 flex p28 and I ordered these as close to that as I could, same length after I cut them in the low kick junior build, 30 flex and the p28 but my kid insisted on the gorilla grip. Once they were delivered it was pretty clear these are a step above the hocekystickman product, after cutting and taping I threw it on the postal scale and it was 18 grams heaver than the trigger 7 pro, not bad and I think a lot of that weight is in the grip coating, prostock grip seems to be thicker and more substantial than the ccm grip coating and the texture of the gorillas has to add some weight.

Balance is just as good as the CCM, and the kid says it feels just as good for whatever that is worth. He went through 4 CCM sticks last season, 3 jetspeeds and one trigger and they did not last very long, trigger was more durable than the FT4 but still cracked the first month or so, prostock custom has seen about 5 weeks of use, there are a few scrapes and chips of paint but to the naked eye zero cracks and the blade is just as stiff as when we got it. I also like that the junior blade is a hair bigger than CCM offerings but still has the same lie, almost like a max blade junior which I see no downside to.

I'm going to order him 3 more in varying flexes for as he grows, my kid loves them and we have another player on the team who has switched with a few more playing around on the online configurator. Awesome product in my eyes, fair price, and I like his online personality on his IG page, I'll keep going back as long as he will let me!  

Similar experience.  I picked up 2 of this Yellow lines in 70 flex.  Don't like the shaft shape as much as something more square, but that is my ONLY complaint about those sticks.  I would do custom 70 flexes with the round square low kick, but I'm a crappy beer leaguer and the price isn't worth it to me.  

Bought my kid a single custom Red Line prior to last season (PeeWee Major AAA).  Played every single game and practice (on ice 3-5 times a week) from August through March with that stick.  The stick was too short for him by the end of the season and the toe was starting to give up the ghost, but otherwise that thing was a beast for him.  In hindsight should have gone low kick instead of mid, but otherwise entirely worth the cost and wait. 

Tried to convince the wife to do a full custom order for my kid this season, but that didn't fly and Gep doesn't stock his curve as an intermediate build.  So we are back to CCM for the moment.  We'll see how they hold up.    

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:05 PM, stick9 said:

Yup yup. 64" sticks are not their own beast. It's a standard length shaft with a 4" extension added.

Then how does the 4" extension not lower the flex like say adding a wooden plug would?

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I've used standard length 85 flex with wooden extensions that feel whippier than the PSHS 64" 85 flex. 

4 hours ago, BLKHKhockey said:

Then how does the 4" extension not lower the flex like say adding a wooden plug would?

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I've used standard length 85 flex with wooden extensions that feel whippier than the PSHS 64" 85 flex. 

It does make it whippier. People that want to argue just because it doesn't technically change  "flex" is bc flex ratings are tested at the exact same points on a stick so it doesn't change the "flex rating" at for example, 50 inches from the heel. But when you and I talk about how a extending or shortening stick changes the flex, we obviously mean the perceived flex at the very butt end of the stick and our bottom hand. 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, BLKHKhockey said:

If you've ever changed a tire with a stubborn wheel nut. What the first thing you do? You put an extension on the lug wrench. Boom, it gives. The wheel nut didn't magical loosen while you were looking for an extension. You increased your leverage point by extending the handle of the lug wrench. It's the same principle just applied differently.

To my other post. Companies don't have different molds for longer shafts. They use a standard shaft and add an extension. So while it does feel different it's not a different shaft.

• Like 3

Has anyone on here previously organized a group purchase for custom sticks? I know many of us don't necessarily need 5+ of them, or if we do, we aren't willing to spend that kind of money at once. I'm sure we could come up with some sort of system for placing a custom order and would just need to figure out payment and shipping fees once delivered. 

I don't think he has announced it yet, nor is it available in the customizer or the store, but it looks like Geppetto is reviving the old Iginla curve: https://prostockhockeysticks.com/collections/pro-stock-stick-curves-3d/products/pro7-st-e7-iginla-retail-curve-3d-visualizer

Edit: Well, guess I was a day early. It's now available in the customizer. Just ordered one.

Edited by birky
  • Like 3

On 7/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, birky said:

I don't think he has announced it yet, nor is it available in the customizer or the store, but it looks like Geppetto is reviving the old Iginla curve: https://prostockhockeysticks.com/collections/pro-stock-stick-curves-3d/products/pro7-st-e7-iginla-retail-curve-3d-visualizer

Edit: Well, guess I was a day early. It's now available in the customizer. Just ordered one.

Players Using This Curve: a lot of old-timers that used it from 2000-2014

🤣🤣🤣

I’m curious what happened that he’s able to mold so many new curves. Other companies charge you a new born child for molding a new custom curve, and this dude rolled out a ton of new options that are mostly just slight variations on things already available. 

• Like 1

Great guy with a great business that I'm sure many of us wished we could have done. I don't understand why only one  (BIG) vendor allows a choice of old patterns and pro patterns when clearly there is a market for this.  

Last year he had made me a custom mold for a pattern that no longer is around and the original brand wouldn't let me custom order even in a dozen of their top end sticks. My only wish would be for him to make a hybrid flex shaft rather than a mid or a low kick. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

I don't get this business. It's based on people wanting an oddball curve? And these aren't CCM or Bauer products?

I sense a slant here 😛

But seriously, the price is right even if you're only after a standard curve, especially living in Europe. I'm very happy with a 425g stick. If it's durable, that's plenty light.

What really has me tempted isn't going away from P28 to one of his two dozen P28 variants (though I'd prefer that curve or S. Niedermayer's softened version of it on an E4 blade shape, but I'm not about to spring for a custom mold), it's that I can get a whole bunch of shaft options that aren't available off the shelf for less than what it costs for a second tier stick at an LHS in Denmark. Shaft shape, finish, texture, and flex might actually be more important to me than curve. If the balance is right, the curve pretty much falls in line for me.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 9:48 AM, stick9 said:

If you've ever changed a tire with a stubborn wheel nut. What the first thing you do? You put an extension on the lug wrench. Boom, it gives. The wheel nut didn't magical loosen while you were looking for an extension. You increased your leverage point by extending the handle of the lug wrench. It's the same principle just applied differently.

I bust out the impact wrench. 

So I’m a big fan of a bunch of 2NPROXL builds I have…. I’ve always thought they felt very similar to the Pro mid kick sticks, and now I know why!

I spoke to Bauer about the 2NPROXL sticks I have stocked up… turns out my stick builds have the old 1x Lite Extra Stiff blade with the mid kick nexus build with a CCM p29 clone, which according to Bauer is their p92 lie 5 (if you compare a stock p29 and p92, the p29 is definitely a lower lie and more closed). Thought this was interesting!

Guess this why I had such a hard time putting a finger on what was going on with the blade of my 2NPROXL’s.

Trying the Pro Stock sticks next to the 2NPROXL, they do actually feel very similar in terms of puck feel and weight… now it’s time to order me the Oates curve :p

On 8/8/2023 at 8:26 PM, flip12 said:

I sense a slant here 😛

But seriously, the price is right even if you're only after a standard curve, especially living in Europe. I'm very happy with a 425g stick. If it's durable, that's plenty light.

What really has me tempted isn't going away from P28 to one of his two dozen P28 variants (though I'd prefer that curve or S. Niedermayer's softened version of it on an E4 blade shape, but I'm not about to spring for a custom mold), it's that I can get a whole bunch of shaft options that aren't available off the shelf for less than what it costs for a second tier stick at an LHS in Denmark. Shaft shape, finish, texture, and flex might actually be more important to me than curve. If the balance is right, the curve pretty much falls in line for me.

Like Flip said, really hard to beat the price for even the stock specs.  A Third Line stick, after shipping to EU, is cheaper than buying a mid-level stick here in CZ; where its probably only going to be a P92 if you use intermediate flex.  Combine that with being able to get Laine, MacKinnon and Ovi curves in 55 flex at that price... It's really a no-brainer.  I prefer mid-kick, square shaft, but the honestly the way the Third Lines come (low kick, rounded corners) in Int, is fine considering the build quality/price/curve options

• Like 1

Does anyone have experience using Pro’s low kick sticks AND a Bauer BGP2B build? 

I have 2NPROXL’s with extra stiff blades and they perform very similar to the mid kick Redlines.

I’m hoping for the same similarities between the low kick build Redline and BGP2B. Given how hard Bauers BGP2B build is to come by, I’m hoping the Redlines in the 375g or 350g low kick build perform and feel the similar to the BGP2B…

Is there a definitive comparison for Pro's shaft shapes? I'm guessing Square is close to CCM's T shape, but what about the others? What are Rounded Square and Super Round close to?

I have some teammates that want to order 70 flexes but I'm afraid they may not like the shaft shape.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:02 AM, Yardelm said:

Does anyone have experience using Pro’s low kick sticks AND a Bauer BGP2B build? 

I have 2NPROXL’s with extra stiff blades and they perform very similar to the mid kick Redlines.

I’m hoping for the same similarities between the low kick build Redline and BGP2B. Given how hard Bauers BGP2B build is to come by, I’m hoping the Redlines in the 375g or 350g low kick build perform and feel the similar to the BGP2B…

Hi guys - looking at clicking submit order soon. Just can’t make my mind up on curves… definitely sticking to the Benn P90t, my personal favourite… maybe the new Tage Thompson too… I like trying curves way too much.

But my main question is around the pro71 Malkin… anyone try that? I used to like the ccm p46 back in the day (aside from the low lie) but any insights into this curve coming from a p92? Does the p71 have a lower lie like the p88 despite both being labelled a lie 6…? Or is this basically an old warrior w71?

I really liked the Laine curves but found I missed a lot of pucks under the heel due to the fairy aggressive rocker… I’m open to other suggestions from you guys in curves too, like the Nylander which also looks great

Edited by Yardelm

9 hours ago, Yardelm said:

Hi guys - looking at clicking submit order soon. Just can’t make my mind up on curves… definitely sticking to the Benn P90t, my personal favourite… maybe the new Tage Thompson too… I like trying curves way too much.

But my main question is around the pro71 Malkin… anyone try that? I used to like the ccm p46 back in the day (aside from the low lie) but any insights into this curve coming from a p92? Does the p71 have a lower lie like the p88 despite both being labelled a lie 6…? Or is this basically an old warrior w71?

I really liked the Laine curves but found I missed a lot of pucks under the heel due to the fairy aggressive rocker… I’m open to other suggestions from you guys in curves too, like the Nylander which also looks great

I haven't tried the PRAUX Malkin yet, but I have a couple of Malkin Easton RS Dressed SE16s that look like the could be the same pattern or at least very close. The ones I have don't bear any resemblance to P88, they're very clearly modified E4's. The Ginos I have differ from E4 (PM9) with a little added material making the heel and toe a tiny bit squarer. The curve looks like PRAUX's version: deep toe pocket on a relatively straight blade with a neutral face from heel to mid. Looking at PRAUX's version, it looks so close to mine I just don't get where Geppetty gets P88 from. It's almost like he's afraid of mentioning PM9 unless it's painfully obvious (Crosby). Kovalchuk's another example of a E4 souped up.

If you didn't like the lie of P46 (another E4 mod), I'd be wary of the Malkin.