Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Biggest Busts

Based on the fact that they are already being dumped, the Octogun line of sticks from CCM should qualify as a bust.

Technology is still there. There will be a U+ Octogun coming out....

held one today. the OctoGun part seemed thinner and subtler than the other models I had seen. Didn't get to shoot with it though.

How about the blades on Bauer's old Vapor 10's, 2002ish? Those triangle cut-outs didn't seem to stick around very long.

vap10.jpg

Perhaps Bauer's not doing it so much anymore, but you still see a lot of perforated steel. The shape didn't last, but the idea of cutting holes in the steel to save weight sure has. I don't think you can call that a bust.

The black coating though...

How about the blades on Bauer's old Vapor 10's, 2002ish? Those triangle cut-outs didn't seem to stick around very long.

I still have a pair of these brand new sitting in my basement. still working my way through Bauer 8's that also has that perforated steel. hate having to blow the ice out after every game.

I recently bought a pair of NB Vapor XXXX's that are so much lighter though. I might end up selling the 10's.

...helped the steel retain an incredible edge.

Not a bust.

Explanation please? Just curious why the cut outs helped retain the edge.

I still love the look of those old Vapors, one of my favorite skate designs. They didn't fit my foot at all, but they were cool as hell.

Not a bust.

I still love the look of those old Vapors, one of my favorite skate designs. They didn't fit my foot at all, but they were cool as hell.

The coating helped retain the edge. That Vapor skate is absolutely a "turning point" product in the industry. Nothing about that skate is a bust.

Not a bust.

I think he meant the black coating helped the steel retain an edge, not the perforations.

My first pair of inline hockey skates looked like those old Vapors, I hadn't though about those in years.

Didn't Bauer have some funky way of attaching a blade to a shaft?

CooperAlls are another that come to mind.

Bauer did have a blade that had rubber on the hosel. No gloue required. I saw more then a few come off!!!

I agree on Cooperall! Remember those flyers pants. Ugh!!!!! Almost as ugly as the old Canucks jersey!!!

Haha, I see a guy all the time that wears Cooperalls. It's actually good strategy because the pants mesmerize you when he skates by.

The coating helped retain the edge. That Vapor skate is absolutely a "turning point" product in the industry. Nothing about that skate is a bust.

I didn't mean the Vapor line was a bust, just the steel, which seemed to disappear pretty quickly. I guess they shaved so much weight off the boot that they no longer needed the perf'ed steel? Why not keep it and reduce weight even further? Seems odd to ditch it. Did it cost that much more to produce? Just seems odd to me.

I didn't mean the Vapor line was a bust, just the steel, which seemed to disappear pretty quickly. I guess they shaved so much weight off the boot that they no longer needed the perf'ed steel? Why not keep it and reduce weight even further? Seems odd to ditch it. Did it cost that much more to produce? Just seems odd to me.

That steel was fairly expensive if I remember correctly. The steel was changed when the line was revamped after a couple years and the lightspeed holder was introduced.

Not sure if it had much hype...but does anyone else remember the Hespeler blades that had a full shaft offset built in? I can't remember the name but hopefully someone else here will be able to name it/pic it for us. I believe the idea was that it would delay the release of the shot and enable kids (I distinctly remember these being on JR. sticks) to whip the shaft through the shot easier. Anyone?

EDIT: The old Easton Runners that couldn't fit into sharpeners, and those Louisville Lockjaw blades (replaceable blades requiring no heat or glue!).

1597_1.JPG

stickblade_louisv_lockjaw.jpg

I have a messier curve lockjaw in my garage!

The rocket runners were not a bust i remeber thinking they were a great idea then heard about the sharpening issues and knew they were screwed should have caught on though. I have a kid on my team whp uses them and loves them but the problem is they are damn impossible to find

But as far as Busts go how about taki mack and blade tape

I don't think I'd say Bladetape is a bust... it going strong as far as I can see.

From what I've seen around me its a pretty big bust i tried a command grip and an attack pad and hated it. One lhs near me won't stock it becuase it doesn't sell and even the lhs at the inline rink stocks bladetape but they don't sell well and people have been saying that's who it is mianly intended for

Just because you personally don't like a product it isn't a bust. BladeTape type products have quite a following.

In a few markets it has done well, in others it has failed miserably. Just because it does well or bombs in your particular market you can't assume it has done the same elsewhere.

Just because you personally don't like a product it isn't a bust. BladeTape type products have quite a following.

NO that's not my intention but from what i've seen it's a bust and i didn't want to generalize either my bad

Saw mention of the trilage hockey sticks. I bought 2 shafts for around 70 bucks off hockeygiant I believe. Sold one but I still use the other one from time to time. Although I do like how the triangle design fits my hand, I think I still like the traditional shape better.

LOVE This topic.

Vapor 10 Protective, the elbows and shoulders had straps to attach one to the other

Bauer Lindros Shin Guards, forget the model but they had a built in knee brace and were ridiculously expensive as I recall.

Rocket Hockey sticks.

Sher Wood Eclipse Stick/Glove Promotion.