Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgoblue

Biggest Busts

Could the CCM Rocket Runner concept be considered a failure or is it too soon?

The Rocket runner wasn't a failure, it is a great product. Sharpeners who didn't know how to sharpen it properly, they were the failure. They were the ones who turned customers off to it. Many thought it was the blade and just didn't know it was just an incorrect sharpening.

QFT

The Rocket runner wasn't a failure, it is a great product. Sharpeners who didn't know how to sharpen it properly, they were the failure. They were the ones who turned customers off to it. Many thought it was the blade and just didn't know it was just an incorrect sharpening.

How is it not a bust? A bust would be something hyped that never caught on ; exactly what the rocket runner is. Its barely even lighter as well.

How is it not a bust? A bust would be something hyped that never caught on ; exactly what the rocket runner is. Its barely even lighter as well.

Hold a piece of 280mm LS2 steel in your hand; now go get a 280mm RocketRunner. "Barely" is not the word you will be using.

Love my rocket runners. Had a pair on my old v08's, bought another pair that I now use on my 9k's and alternate so they can get sharpened (fbv). Holds an edge well, not a single problem with them whatsoever.

Hold a piece of 280mm LS2 steel in your hand; now go get a 280mm RocketRunner. "Barely" is not the word you will be using.

Yeah but im sure a blade thats easier to sharpen's benefits outweigh (no pun intended) ones that save a few grams but besides that dont really make a difference.

It's not really more difficult to sharpen, it's just not idiot-proof. The weight difference, particularly on larger sizes is very noticeable and considering where the weight is, it's just like making a blade heavy stick more balanced. I wish Bauer would release something similar, the weight difference between my XXXXs and my one95s(288 vs 296 on the one95) was noticeable in the transition between the two skates.

It's not really more difficult to sharpen, it's just not idiot-proof. The weight difference, particularly on larger sizes is very noticeable and considering where the weight is, it's just like making a blade heavy stick more balanced. I wish Bauer would release something similar, the weight difference between my XXXXs and my one95s(288 vs 296 on the one95) was noticeable in the transition between the two skates.

I noticed a big difference in the transition between the One55 and the Vapor XXXX. It felt as if my feet were moving too fast for me or that I had to put more weight on the ice for the first few strides

I've still only found one place where they are comfortable sharpening RRs. Tempted to leave it behind just for convenience sake.

Cooperalls were not a bust. The girdle still sells strong 25 years later. The long pants were used by all three Canadian major junior leagues for a number of years. The NHL banned the Flyers and Whalers from wearing the long pants. The pants worn by the Flyers were the first time a black silhouette was presented all the way down the leg. No NHL team had black socks at that time. Some NHL goalies did not like the all black leg when looking for the puck. Once the NHL banned the long pants the end was in sight. The NHL banned the long pants to keep a uniform look across the league. The original Cooperalls were offered with short shells back then, too. Hardly a bust.

When I played minor hockey back in the early and mid-80's, you HAD to have long Cooperalls or you were looked at as some sort of dweeb. CCM had their system out at that time as well called Pro Pac. Pro Pac evolved into the Ultra Pac, in which the upper part of the system was similar to the current style of hockey pants but they had zippers at the knees, to which you could attach the fabric to make them long pants. Yes, you could wear them long or short! I believe Christian had a similar product as well, because a guy I played Midget with who had moved out from Minnesota wore it. I can easliy see how the top part of the CCM Ultra Pac evolved into their Supra pants.

Considering where hockey pants were prior, I have a hard time accepting Cooperalls as a bust. Anyone remember when you ordered your hockey pants 6" larger than your waist size for freedom of movement and the only real hard padding was the thighs, tailbone, and kidneys (sort of)? The hip padding was just foam.

I have never noticed much from the Externo's Reflex Bar but the inside of them has to be one of the most comfortable skates I have ever put on.

Based on the fact that they are already being dumped, the Octogun line of sticks from CCM should qualify as a bust.

Technology is still there. There will be a U+ Octogun coming out....

Based on the fact that they are already being dumped, the Octogun line of sticks from CCM should qualify as a bust.

Technology is still there. There will be a U+ Octogun coming out....

Well they were kind of busts... I've seen one in a kids hands this season, and he said he got it free. And when our dealer had it to show off, i snapped an 85 flex on a wristshot, and a 100flex on a snapshot in a span of 2 minutes (snapped on third shot each time)... and our rep flexed a 50 and snapped it..

durability seemed to be like an issue, however, i think that like a redo of it making it more durable would do well in rec leagues.

and our rep flexed a 50 and snapped it

a full grown adult snapped a stick designed for a kid 100lbs or less. that doesn't prove a durability issue, that proves an intelligence issue with the rep.

and our rep flexed a 50 and snapped it

a full grown adult snapped a stick designed for a kid 100lbs or less. that doesn't prove a durability issue, that proves an intelligence issue with the rep.

he didn't lean in into it though. like, all he was doing was pushing slightly on it in the middle.... it flexed like an inch and snapped... but yeah, pretty dumb by our rep. needless to say, we didn't get the octogun line :P

Switch It Skates Wha a joke. Is it an ice skate or a roller blade? Neither it sucks.

Going WAAAAAYYYY back, a stick by Northland called The Bump. This was back in the day of woodies when Northland was king (at least in Minnesota). They decided the stick needed to grow a Heel. The stick literally had what mimics the human heel protruding off blade. Yes I had one, it was junk you could not stick handle at all, you had to handle the puck so the lie was perfectly flat, it would force you to. Last think it broke off all the time.

Anyone consider the Pro-tec helmet a bust. I know a guy that still wears one but that is because he is a cheap ass.

Last one I got, The plastic holder CCM had, I cannot remember what they called it though. It had 3 posts and was the competition to the Tuuk when steel posts went extinct. Probably less of a bust but more in line of VHS and Beta or to the younger crowd HD vs Blue ray....someone always loses.

^^^While less than perfect, I don't think you can call the Prolite 3 holder a bust. It was standard on CCM skates for what, over a decade?