Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Miken Zero Limit stick

Out of all the sticks I've demoed in the last year there were two that stood out to me over others at this year SJ - the Miken ZL and the Warrior DT1. I didn't use some of the other sticks (RS, 11K, Mako ect.) since I'd already demoed them in the past. I also really liked the Warrior Widow when I tried that in the past.

In the warm ups I was alternating between the DT1, Miken ZL and my X60 shaft with one of the new Oggie grips. In the game the ZL and DT1 both saw shifts, but I did primarily use my Warrior Dolomite with the Smyth curve. This wasn't a knock on either the DT1 or ZL - the curves simply weren't exactly the same as the Smyth on my dolo (definitely in the ball park as they were neutral mids with round toes with the same lie, but didn't have the same rocker or shaved toe and the curve is slightly different). I'm definitely NOT complaining - I was absolutely blown away by what Miken did and the curve is likely as close as they had without doing a custom mold, but I wanted to just go with the exact curve I've been using for the last few years for the game. Plus, I already have a Kane Tacki Mac on the dolo and am used to either using that or the Oggie Ergo grip now instead of a standard tape job (I only gave the stick a light tape job that would be easy to take off at home when I changed grips).

With that said, my initial thoughts on the ZL are very positive - I love the finish and balance and noticed great pop on wrist and snap shots (didn't take any full slappers with it). It definitely felt like a well designed top end stick. I look forward to using it more in the coming weeks and months.

Loved everything about the ZL (thanks Jason!!). Great balance and feel for the puck. Shots seemed to fly off the stick - loading was almost effortless. I clanked a few off the posts in warmups and one from a pretty off balance stance and I was stunned to see how much I had on the shot. After using the RS, S19, TotalOne and One95 this is really the best shooting stick I've ever had. Grip felt terrific. Nice fit and finish. Love the stick.

Just retaped the blade and after a couple dozen slappers and all the other play on Saturday there isn't a mark on the blade. There are a couple of paint chips up on the hoselbut that is it. Looling forward to using it again tomorrow night as thw summer league playoffs roll on.

Made a few tweaks to the length of mine and used it in a game tonight. Really impressed with the way this stick shoots. I noticed a little more zip on wrist and snap shots. Puck feel is very good and I had no trouble in adapting to a hiigher lie than I normally play with.

Broke another Z9 stick. This time the blade broke in half, not sure how either.

Anways, in the Minneapolis area (and online) it looks like Total Hockey is no longer carrying the Miken sticks.

Why is that?

Broke another Z9 stick. This time the blade broke in half, not sure how either.

Anways, in the Minneapolis area (and online) it looks like Total Hockey is no longer carrying the Miken sticks.

Why is that?

Purchased a razor on the 27th from total hockey, they had 11 more in my flex/bp/grip. Chances are your not clicking on the red tag tab on their redesigned site.

I'll give my first impressions here as did most people from SJ. I really like the stick and I'll be using it throughout the remainder of my games to see how it works. It reminds me a lot of the TotalOne but the main difference being I like the shaft feel much better and the blade. The stick itself is extremely rigid which is normally not my preference but I have had no issue adjusting and having a nice shot with it. Like my T1, pucks rocket off the blade which I do like a lot! I'll be posting more comprehensive review as I build more tie with the stick but this stick is one of the first that I feel can stand toe to toe with the big name brands that I have used.

I used mine Sunday night for my regular skate and love it even more. It is feels very responsive with wristers and good puck feel while stickhandling.

It has a good kick with slappers.

I'm looking forward using it over the next few weeks to get it dialed in.

So, I got a chance to use mine again Sunday, after I got back... I really love the way the stick feels. I prefer grip coated sticks, so I've had some issues with the stick slipping when I shoot... i'm working on a solution to add grip to my stick, without candy caning it.

Really looking forward to using it some more.

The stick surprised me.

Used the stick tonight. Great Release on the stick, still getting used to the feel and curve but the puck flies off the blade. Excellent stick so far!

you guys are making me too excited. may have to work a bit of overtime the next few weeks =) just bought a Z9 for a sweet deal, but not sure if i can wait for a sweet deal on the ZL, lol.

i do like the shaft on the Z9, so ill have to check out a ZL. only problem is they arent on the shelves here in michigan, which is unfortunate. I had to purchase my Z9 online. Hopefully one of the retailers here will buy into the mikens.

Unfortunately, they face an uphill climb in getting into more shops. One of the guys I play with who is an assistant manager at a local chain was saying how they didn't want to buy into the Mikens because the going rate for the ZL was going to be up there. His words (paraphrased) were, "Who is going to buy a Miken for $209 when they can get a Bauer for $20 more?" To which I told him, "Try one and then talk to me." The funny thing is in the same conversation he told me that his brother who played college baseball said that Miken made great bats.

Unfortunately, they face an uphill climb in getting into more shops. One of the guys I play with who is an assistant manager at a local chain was saying how they didn't want to buy into the Mikens because the going rate for the ZL was going to be up there. His words (paraphrased) were, "Who is going to buy a Miken for $209 when they can get a Bauer for $20 more?" To which I told him, "Try one and then talk to me." The funny thing is in the same conversation he told me that his brother who played college baseball said that Miken made great bats.

yeah, i talked to a guy working at a store which had carried the MV3, and he said they werent likely to get any miken sticks in because the MV3 didnt sell very well there, but you couldnt even tell they carried them walking into the place. I think some strategic shelf-ends and advertizing would help a lot to sell Mikens in stores, people just need to get them in their hands and some teams get them on the ice. I am sure come fall i will be getting a lot of questions from my teammates about them. Its funny nowadays how much people buy into brand names and not the actual product.

In general, i tend to try to avoid online shopping, but when the products i like arent carried, i still want what i want in my hands. I ask fairly regularly when i am in my LHS if they are going to carry Miken sticks, id suggest everyone do the same, even if your not a huge fan- the more competition and choices the better for all of us.

Got to do a side by side comparison with my RS with a 2 hour ice session today. In my hands, moving around, the ZL felt lighter, but walking to and from the locker room with one each hand the opposite was felt. I'm guessing this means the ZL is better balanced to my style. Echoing everything other's have said, this stick has great pop, and a nice stiff blade.

Negatives: more of the paint is chipping off near the end of the shaft and the start of the blade. It appears that the paint/coating/wrap is not flexible enough for the stick, and rather thick chunks of it are coming of. This is, however, a purely cosmetic issue, and so low on the shaft, that anyone will hardly notice it. Amazing stick.

How's the grip coating?? It seems the razor is a bit gripper than my mv3, but not too bad. Loved the grip on the mv3 though

Personally, I think it would behoove Miken to stick the zl in there at 180. Get product in peoples hands. Very few people will take the risk on a stick when they can get something they KNOW they like, or has a reputation for producing product they like for $20 more.

I'll gladly spread the word, but until a reputation is established in hockey.... I'm afraid the uphill climb will remain steep, fortunately for them, they have reputation in other sports.... but I didnt know that. How many other hockey only guys would be in the same boat?

Thats the thing though. We had a chance to try the stick enough to realize its value. Before trying it, I would have never paid 200+ for a Miken over a Bauer. Its something that they will definitely need to overcome and I hope they do, the more I compare the stick to my current group of sticks, the more I like it.