Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Miken Zero Limit stick

problem is, according to the site, its valid on z9 and accuflex only. will it be available on the ZL when it comes out? another problem i found was, the dates on the promotion have a black out period between 08/01/12-09/15/12. unfortunately, in order to try one in time for my next season, id be out of those dates. i found a sweet deal on them so i popped anyways, but im going to exchange it for a non-grip version, and wont get any game time in to try the new stick. Its a sweet promotion, just wish it didnt have that blackout time. I am fairly confident i am going to love the stick however, it just feels so nice in my hands.

Campaign Launch Dates

Razor Z9 5-20-12 to 8-1-12 and Continue 9-15-12 to 12-15-12

Accuflex 2.0 5-20-12 to 8-1-12 and Continue 9-15-12 to 12-15-12

All rights reserved by manufacturer to modify program dates and details.

Unfortunately, they face an uphill climb in getting into more shops. One of the guys I play with who is an assistant manager at a local chain was saying how they didn't want to buy into the Mikens because the going rate for the ZL was going to be up there. His words (paraphrased) were, "Who is going to buy a Miken for $209 when they can get a Bauer for $20 more?" To which I told him, "Try one and then talk to me." The funny thing is in the same conversation he told me that his brother who played college baseball said that Miken made great bats.

I'm a creature of habit and comfort, having used the same curve and lie for the past 6 years. Fortunately for me the 'Styles' pattern is very popular in the show and I haven't had any problem getting them as I need them. So for me the curve/lie has been more important than manufacturer. Grant it some sticks have performed better than others, but I haven’t had to deal with adjusting to a new pattern or lie.. The ZL I have is a Drury clone with a higher lie. Despite that, I've used the ZL for the past 2 nights, once in a game and the other during pickup. This stick shoots better, harder, and more accurate than the S19 I've been using. The blade has great feel and despite the higher lie, I didn't have to look down once to see if the puck was on my stick.

Now before being handed the Miken if I was to walk into the LHS and they had my curve in a Miken and another more established manufacturer (insert your favorite OPS company here), I'd pass over the Miken. So that is a big challenge for Miken, getting more players to try the stick. I got a break from hockey tonight, but play again tomorrow night and then at least 3 games over the weekend, and I'll be using the ZL and relegating the S19 to backup duty.

I tend to give all manufacturers an equal shot when picking something out, because i have had good experiences with smaller manufacturers in the past. the reason I went with an 11k the previous year is it just felt great in my hands at the LHS, but recently checking out sticks, i found several newer twigs i thought felt better than the 11k, including graf, and a sherwood i almost purchased. in the end i picked the MV3, and happy with my purchase, so much so that i pulled the trigger on the z9 without even holding it in my hands (but asking a lot of questions about it beforehand)

I don't know. Unless a stick is extremely heavy or unbalanced they all feel good in the store. The point I was making was that the attributes of the ZL are so good that it has taken me out of my comfort zone (using the same exact curve and lie for the past 6 years) and have me using nothing but the ZL. A guy on one of my teams is a Drury user. I let him try the ZL in warm ups and all he said was "wow", and wanted to know if I wanted to part with it.

It is very hard to introduce a new product into the market regardless of whether or not you are a big name in another sport. I wasn't aware that Miken is a big name in baseball. But in fairness, I'm still using my Wilson A2000 from 1972 and a wooden Louisville Slugger bat. :ohmy:

Which Louisville Slugger? My favorite is still my 36", might be a Roberto Clemente autograph. I think the models back then were 125 or 125S, though I don't remember the difference.

I don't know. Unless a stick is extremely heavy or unbalanced they all feel good in the store. The point I was making was that the attributes of the ZL are so good that it has taken me out of my comfort zone (using the same exact curve and lie for the past 6 years) and have me using nothing but the ZL. A guy on one of my teams is a Drury user. I let him try the ZL in warm ups and all he said was "wow", and wanted to know if I wanted to part with it.

It is very hard to introduce a new product into the market regardless of whether or not you are a big name in another sport. I wasn't aware that Miken is a big name in baseball. But in fairness, I'm still using my Wilson A2000 from 1972 and a wooden Louisville Slugger bat. :ohmy:

i can generally tell how well i like a stick by picking it up and moving it around in the store, but your right, theres a lot more to it than feel. i usually set aside a few hours to try every stick, and grab my gloves from the glove section of the store to try them out with, but im crazy like that, and i love testing new items. unfortunately when i tried my miken i had different gloves on (the store i went to doesnt carry ccm/reebok) but i got a general feel with some similar bauers. It wasnt until i hit the ice with it that i noticed a big difference. Your absolutely correct though, had the stick not been discounted at 99 bucks, it might have been harder for me to trust, but another thing i did was read a lot of reviews, and i know miken from softball. another big kicker for me is that it was made in the usa. its going to have that on any other stick on the market, and they can play that angle to win over consumers, or at least try.

Oh yeah, Miken is huge in the baseball game. My brother in law uses his Miken bat all the time in his High School games. Sadly' I'm the only one in my rink on Saturday that uses a Miken and it's a shame. I'm going to pass out the Miken product books when I get back home because I believe in Miken ever since I have bought my MV5 radial. To stay on topic, I'm glad everybody is loving their Miken as much as I did during the skate.

Miken is offering a money back guarantee to offset some of that risk.

Thanks for throwing that out there Chadd, we are doing it to take the risk away on a $229 stick when it comes out. Most people are going to go looking for a new stick and have something in mind, but if they give a Miken a try most likely they will like it as that is most of the feedback that we get. If they don't by some chance than they can go get the stick they were thinking about.

problem is, according to the site, its valid on z9 and accuflex only. will it be available on the ZL when it comes out? another problem i found was, the dates on the promotion have a black out period between 08/01/12-09/15/12. unfortunately, in order to try one in time for my next season, id be out of those dates. i found a sweet deal on them so i popped anyways, but im going to exchange it for a non-grip version, and wont get any game time in to try the new stick. Its a sweet promotion, just wish it didnt have that blackout time. I am fairly confident i am going to love the stick however, it just feels so nice in my hands.

Campaign Launch Dates

Razor Z9 5-20-12 to 8-1-12 and Continue 9-15-12 to 12-15-12

Accuflex 2.0 5-20-12 to 8-1-12 and Continue 9-15-12 to 12-15-12

All rights reserved by manufacturer to modify program dates and details.

We will be continuing the program through the month of August and Zero Limit isn't available until september so that is the date that it was supposed to start again, but we will be continuing on Z9 and Accuflex through August

Miken is offering a money back guarantee to offset some of that risk.

If you're on the ice five days a week, or have a chance to hit a session to get some good shots in.... your average adult plays maybe what, 3 games tops in ten days? Barring tournaments etc. So, Chadd, being a guy who liked his widow... you need a stick today, will only get in two games over the next ten days. Do you get the widow or take the chance on the miken?

If I know I can return it and get my money back and spend it on the widow if I don't like it, I don't see a down side.

The fact of the matter is that it will be tough to break into the market and that is exactly why Miken did what they did at SummerJam. The more we play with the sticks and speak to teammates about them the more buzz will be created. Then people go their LHS and ask for the stick and this creates pressure for them to purchase.

I already spoke to my LHS and told them how great it was.

I already spoke to my LHS and told them how great it was.

I am going to ask any LHS i go into if they are going to be carrying the stick, even though i know the likely answer. The more i annoy them about it, maybe they will give in? lol. I like options.

Will they have an Iginla clone when this comes out? or is it special order?

There is a BP12 pattern that shops can order as part of booking orders, per the catalog.

You guys have never had a stick that you loved the first time out, and then the honey moon period was over?

Keep in mind Chadd, not everyone reviews product as part of what they do. Their first impression isn't always their lasting line. They haven't tried every stick under the sun.

The return period definitely helps, but I don't think it will cause any sort of paradigm shift that gets people to take the chance.

If I know I can return it and get my money back and spend it on the widow if I don't like it, I don't see a down side.

If a stick suits you then you can usually tell fairly early on that it just feels right.

Oh, I understand. There are also a lot of very good sticks on the market right now, too.

Oh, I understand. There are also a lot of very good sticks on the market right now, too.

That's another part of the problem... nearly every big name has a solid product to keep their loyal users.

I really want miken to succeed. But its not easy.

Though, warrior came in and put an older product out with no real hockey experience, and got some users, then were able to expand from there. I hope Miken finds the same success.

Another game in the books and another solid performance for the ZL. I'm really liking the feel of this stick and outside of the paint chips in the hosel area it is holding up well. It is amazing what I can do when I can keep my head up.

That's another part of the problem... nearly every big name has a solid product to keep their loyal users.

I really want miken to succeed. But its not easy.

Though, warrior came in and put an older product out with no real hockey experience, and got some users, then were able to expand from there. I hope Miken finds the same success.

Makes me wonder if part of the Warriors success is due in part to the marketing department and flooding the NHL benches with their sticks.

That's definitely part of it Goon. That and their sticks have always been brightly colored, with designs that look far different than what the competition was putting out. Getting players to use it with excellent service and quick turn around time, plus graphics that really make their sticks stand out, equaled market share.

Makes me wonder if part of the Warriors success is due in part to the marketing department and flooding the NHL benches with their sticks.

Warrior had a great jumping off point in that they had about 1/3 of the Red Wings in Innovative sticks when they made the purchase. It never hurts to have plenty of your sticks on one of the most popular and most televised teams in the league. From there they just exploded into the league with their quick turnaround times.

I also think that their presence in the lacrosse market was a tremendous advantage. Warrior was already a significant player with many kids.

This is a great point, especially since so many hockey players also play lacrosse. Marketing is definitely a big part of it. I never gave a second look to Inno sticks, but I've been seriously tempted by Warrior twigs.

Someone commented on my ZL this weekend at public hockey. He was familiar with Miken as a baseball company, but had never seen their sticks.

I also think that their presence in the lacrosse market was a tremendous advantage. Warrior was already a significant player with many kids.

I think that definitely helped them get into shops, as most LHS in these parts are combination hockey/lacrosse stores. There was probably a bit of strongarming getting done to get plenty of Warrior sticks on the shelves.

"You want our lacrosse gear, well, you can have all you want........just as long as you take 300 of these hockey sticks."