Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2010-2011 Gear Sightings

i hate the revised look.

i also hate that the lightning presented one thing, got blasted and caved.

its the stupid gap logo all over again.

public opinion does not inform good design.

but public opinion does impact jersey sales.

dont know about how much though. ive seen enough of those yellow pooh bear bruins jerseys to think that a fan of a team will buy anything.

firstly, you're comparing bruins fans to lightning fans. secondly, although it was mildly unorthodox, TB was blessed with the fact that the introduction was far enough in advance of the actual debut that they could make changes if they needed to. most teams preview their new logos/jerseys weeks before the on-ice debut (retail units are usually already delivered and awaiting the unveiling). TB previewed them while their previous jerseys were still relevant. although it immediately dates the previous/current colorway, it does provide them with time to make adjustments if the "stakeholders" suggest it. could be seen as a positive or a negative. the initial thought for me is, if they are going to adjust their designs based on public opinion, why not spin it in such a way where the public has input in the final design to begin with?

Just look at the Lightning arena. The most commonly worn jersey is the 3rd.......people love it. Maybe why they went that color for the new ones, eh? :cool:

firstly, you're comparing bruins fans to lightning fans. secondly, although it was mildly unorthodox, TB was blessed with the fact that the introduction was far enough in advance of the actual debut that they could make changes if they needed to. most teams preview their new logos/jerseys weeks before the on-ice debut (retail units are usually already delivered and awaiting the unveiling). TB previewed them while their previous jerseys were still relevant. although it immediately dates the previous/current colorway, it does provide them with time to make adjustments if the "stakeholders" suggest it. could be seen as a positive or a negative. the initial thought for me is, if they are going to adjust their designs based on public opinion, why not spin it in such a way where the public has input in the final design to begin with?

are they that different? ive seen a ton of those mustard preds jerseys too...

its less an argument of being able to move a product than it is of design ethics (or something along that line) for me.

as a working designer, it pains me to see this play out in this way.

design is a process (or should be) based on research and trial. lots of work goes into good design.

if you just cave to what the public wants, whats the point of doing the actual work? the designers did things the way they did for a reason.

see how crappy the new revisions look? the original design wasnt meant tho have a third color.

why pay a design agency a ton of money, just to throw it away?

crowd-sourcing (basing design on public opinion, or asking the public for designs) cheapens the whole profession.

it basically says that any idiot with illustrator or photoshop can throw together a logo and its just as good as something that was researched and worked at.

it also says that ive spent a ton of money on a design education for nothing...

They listened to the fans for good reason, they made the change to bring tradition to the organization. The fans brought up that they ignored the tradition Tampa already has, they did the right thing.

They listened to the fans for good reason, they made the change to bring tradition to the organization. The fans brought up that they ignored the tradition Tampa already has, they did the right thing.

we'll have to agree to disagree.

we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's ignorant to talk about tradition and ignore the tradition that is present. They made a mistake in the first place and they corrected by integrating tradition into their design. They didn't cave in and change this and change that, they did what was right and acknowledged tradition which the original design ignored. They didn't realize that the fan base was that passionate about Lightning tradition.

You're basically saying that they did all the work previously and because of that they should ignore criticism? Obviously they didn't do ENOUGH work in research or they'd know how passionate the fans here are about what little tradition we have. That's awfully thick of you or any designer to ignore the people you're creating for. When a designer/artist creates an image for a company/organization there often are guidelines which you must follow for the sake of the company's tradition or personal ideals, that's not a new thing. It's still the designer's design but now it's adhering to the guidelines.

It's ignorant to talk about tradition and ignore the tradition that is present. They made a mistake in the first place and they corrected by integrating tradition into their design. They didn't cave in and change this and change that, they did what was right and acknowledged tradition which the original design ignored. They didn't realize that the fan base was that passionate about Lightning tradition.

You're basically saying that they did all the work previously and because of that they should ignore criticism? Obviously they didn't do ENOUGH work in research or they'd know how passionate the fans here are about what little tradition we have. That's awfully thick of you or any designer to ignore the people you're creating for. When a designer/artist creates an image for a company/organization there often are guidelines which you must follow for the sake of the company's tradition or personal ideals, that's not a new thing. It's still the designer's design but now it's adhering to the guidelines.

Agreed. Also, companies regularly hire designers and end up not using their exact design, the design process is meant to have feedback with multiple "drafts." Maybe you hurt the designers ego, but who cares. If I hire an architect to design my house and don't like what he comes up with I'm certainly not obligated to go with his design, I can ask him to make changes, or go with a completely different architect entirely. As long as the designer is paid for their work that's all that matters, you aren't forced to use the design they come up with.

Furthermore, in this particular instance the designer(s) who came up with this uniform may know little about the Lightning's history, or about hockey in general. I like certain aspects of the design, but going with a completely new colour scheme is strange and IMO foolish. Tampa has always been black, blue, white and silver, I can see eliminating the silver if they want to go for a more "classic" look, but by only going with white and blue the instant association is "Toronto Maple Leafs," not "Tampa Bay Lightning."

He is alex Kovalev. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets a pens colored schemed gloves for his first game.

My best bet is that Warrior already has gloves made for Kovalev

Regardless of his stature with Warrior, he got traded the day before a game. Theres a fine line in this case between going the extra mile for a player, and actually performing a miracle.

Regardless of his stature with Warrior, he got traded the day before a game. Theres a fine line in this case between going the extra mile for a player, and actually performing a miracle.

I think he's referring to the fact that the trade was rumored so far in advance that they probably had a set made up just in case. One for PIT and one for MTL.

A set of gloves can be made in 12 minutes, who is to say they can't put his gloves ahead of the assembly line.

I went to a PGA tour where it'd take 6-9 weeks to get your custom golf clubs and they'd have a trailer set outside where they'd make clubs for the pros in 3 mins flat.

A set of gloves can be made in 12 minutes, who is to say they can't put his gloves ahead of the assembly line.

I went to a PGA tour where it'd take 6-9 weeks to get your custom golf clubs and they'd have a trailer set outside where they'd make clubs for the pros in 3 mins flat.

There ya go. Amazing how fast the turn around time for pro's is ridiculously shorter. Custom goalie pads could take almost 4 months but a pro can have his in 3-4 days.

I remember a story about Alfy needing new skates in the playoffs, and he told his rep if he got them in a day he'd wear more bauer equipment, Bauer had the skates made in like 18 hours

I used to build golf clubs as a hobby, there is no way they could assemble all the parts and make the needed adjustments to one club, let alone an entire set in anywhere near that time. It's very fast, but more like 15-20 minutes to get everything right.

i'm a little surprised that kovalev and/or warrior didnt send a nice gift to craig adams in exchange for #27. i know typically the player would either take the # by seniority or by way of a parting gift, but since warrior actually has a product line based on kovalev's name and number, you'd think they'd be lining up to keep their stuff relevant.

I used to build golf clubs as a hobby, there is no way they could assemble all the parts and make the needed adjustments to one club, let alone an entire set in anywhere near that time. It's very fast, but more like 15-20 minutes to get everything right.

Yes, considering the epoxy would take awhile to set anyway.

But,

Those guys are pretty efficient with lies and lofts on the smith machine, I wouldn't underestimate a fully stocked and staffed Tour Van... those guys are unbelievable.

Yes, considering the epoxy would take awhile to set anyway.

But,

Those guys are pretty efficient with lies and lofts on the smith machine, I wouldn't underestimate a fully stocked and staffed Tour Van... those guys are unbelievable.

I've watched them build clubs in one of the vans. Ten times faster than I ever was and incredibly precise at the same time.