Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

We're not accomplishing anything but one last time and we'll end of my explanations. Clearly people think I'm somehow trying to scam Easton.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the dumbest guy in the room, so if I didn't get that, it probably wasn't "clear". What I did get was that everyone is surprised at the consistent runaround you've got.

If you mentioned anything about contacting your retailer, if only just to see if it would help, I missed it.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the dumbest guy in the room, so if I didn't get that, it probably wasn't "clear". What I did get was that everyone is surprised at the consistent runaround you've got.

If you mentioned anything about contacting your retailer, if only just to see if it would help, I missed it.

Yes, still trying to find out if he went to his retailer, if so, what they said and/or why they just didn't replace the skates.

Is anybody else having an issue like this with the tongue? It's starting to come apart on the side. Is this something I should contact them about for warranty. I worry about it getting worse

F884B774-485A-460F-BD6D-09F1B00E6EA0-131

Curious for the guys who have these things... did you find they were "perfect" the first time you skated in them, or was there still a bit of a break-in period? Did the forward pitch bother those who weren't used to it?

Curious for the guys who have these things... did you find they were "perfect" the first time you skated in them, or was there still a bit of a break-in period? Did the forward pitch bother those who weren't used to it?

The forward pitch took me about a period to get completely comfortable with. Other than that, things were hunky dory.

Game 1 review.

I'm not going to reiterate all the positives of the skate because i think at this point everyone has been spot on about comfort, flexibility/mobility and natural stride. It's all on the money. I'm going to focus on some of the minor things that could throw people off initially.

In terms of fit i think they're perfect after i baked them. Without a doubt the most comfortable boot i've ever put on. The forward pitch did throw me off. I felt i was always in an aggressive stance, and if i was still back in my prime teen/early 20's days i would have really welcomed it. As a 30 year old that plays in a beer league now i reckon they definitely tired me out quick. So, yes i'm going to have to get used to it. There's no real leaning back on your heels taking a breather with these, which brings me to my next point and minor gripe.

The tendon guard felt almost nonexistent to me after the first skate. At 6ft 205lbs leaning back in anyway made it seem as if they weren't even there. Maybe it's because i'm coming from a not so flexible tendon guard (vapor x60s) or i just enjoy freeloading too much.

These skates are definitely suited for the optimal skater. The responsiveness, the natural motion, the aggressive turns, it's phenomenal and let me tell you getting them sharpened today at a rink that does not carry these in their HS had multiple people turning their heads asking what they were, some guys even walked up saying wow those look amazing. They definitely look way better in person, especially on the ice with the orange tendon guard sticking out.

I'm incredibly happy with them. The only other thing i can say is i hope they last. They are so insanely mobile you have to wonder if they'll go soft too soon. That MLX team with the Easton support behind them really put together a skate that is unlike anything else on the market. It's hilarious to see how much "hate" comes from the Bauer faithful...

I had people dogging these skates even before they knew what they were. Teammates of mine were trying on the new APX 2's and the NXG's before the game and then in the locker room after the game they asked to see mine and were literally blown away... some guys just couldn't believe it.

Everyone should at least see if these are a good fit. Try em on.

Edited by DigiV

First skate in them last night. Was okay for the most part. My right toe was KILLING me though. They're a tiny bit short, and need to break in some more. I made the stupid mistake of thinking cutting my toenails extra short would be a good idea. Yep, too short. Oops.
I might bake them again and toss them in the freezer like the Mako video showed.
The other thing I noticed is the deep V in the back of the boot where the tendon guard sits over actually digs into the back of my leg a bit. This morning I noticed I had quite the mark on my leg in that spot.
But at least it didn't feel like I was skating around with floppy boots like I used to. In fact, I felt pretty fast out there (as fast as a 230lb man can go). The forward pitch was awkward for the first while, but no big deal eventually. Perfect heel lock in both skates (the best I've ever experienced)

The only concern i have is the length, once again. And once again they were perfect after baking, and hell even perfect sitting down with my knees bent. But once I stand up, the forward pitch makes my foot slide forward. This is leading me to believe I havent tied them tight enough (I'm so used to all but the top 2-3 eyelets being loose because of issues with previous skates I've worn). My foot shouldnt slide forward, I wouldn't think.

The only concern i have is the length, once again. And once again they were perfect after baking, and hell even perfect sitting down with my knees bent. But once I stand up, the forward pitch makes my foot slide forward. This is leading me to believe I havent tied them tight enough (I'm so used to all but the top 2-3 eyelets being loose because of issues with previous skates I've worn). My foot shouldnt slide forward, I wouldn't think.

This happened to me when I got the current skates I'm in, I thought they were too small because my big toe was pushing on the toe cap. Same thing as you, sitting down when knees were bent toes weren't crammed. Basically I noticed that my toes were crammed when skating because I was skating too upright. That made me focus more on knee bend when skating and problem was solved. It took a couple skates to get used to it, a lot of times I would start with a lot of knee bend but by the end of my skate due to fatigue, I would start skating more upright and toes would push on toe cap. My problem is solved and don't have this issue anymore, plus my stride has gotten better. Edited by flyguy1

This happened to me when I got the current skates I'm in, I thought they were too small because my big toe was pushing on the toe cap. Same thing as you, sitting down when knees were bent toes weren't crammed. Basically I noticed that my toes were crammed when skating because I was skating too upright. That made me focus more on knee bend when skating and problem was solved. It took a couple skates to get used to it, a lot of times I would start with a lot of knee bend but by the end of my skate I would start skating more upright and toes would push on toe cap. My problem is solved and don't have this issue anymore, plus my stride has gotten better.

That makes a lot of sense, and is COMPLETELY true in my case. I skate with terribly shallow knee bend. I actually found very little pain when I was actually skating hard, it was more when I was positioning in front of the net, etc.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would have even noticed if I hadn't cut my toenails way too short. We'll have to see next game.

Try the laces snug, rather than loose.

Yes for sure. Cranking on your laces should never be necessary (and even less so in this mako boot that wraps your foot so much that you feel like you could skate with no laces at all ;)

Having the constant pressure all over my foot is just a weird feeling, coming from years of skates that are too big - something I equate with being too tight. But I know better in my head, and just need to get used to it.

Having the tongue go down into the toe box is weird too. Not used to my toes not being able to move all over the place. They're pretty much locked in place.

Edited by OptimusReim

Well, it sounds like they're supposed to "fit like a glove".

That's a feeling I've always wanted in a skate, but I've still got a lot of use left in my One95s.

Well, it sounds like they're supposed to "fit like a glove".

That's a feeling I've always wanted in a skate, but I've still got a lot of use left in my One95s.

Oh they do. It's amazing really. Pre-baked I could barely get the damn things on. Now it's like they were made using a last that was cast from my feet. Incredible.

If the back of the boot is digging into your leg then you are probably fighting the forward lean of the skate.

Very likely! As I mentioned, I have terrible knee bend so I'm probably compensating for the forward pitch (or at least trying to).

I recall somebody else had this issue too, earlier in the thread. I wonder if it still bothers them.

I'm sure much of my issues (which arent much) are due to my poor skating. Maybe I can finally work on that aspect, now that I have a boot that isn't painful.

Did I say to call Easton? I would've told you to call the store where you bought it from...

Not sure if you were answering me about my tongue issue. I was just checking to see if this is something I should put in for warranty. If so, I will take them to the shop I bought them from.

I'm looking at getting new skates and I'm planning on trying on everything I can, but had a quick question regarding the Mako. From reading this thread I can tell that they mold really well to each persons foot, my question is this, is the boot more suited to a certain foot shape, or is the fact it bakes and molds so well negate the idea of fitting a specific foot shape?

Oh they do. It's amazing really. Pre-baked I could barely get the damn things on. Now it's like they were made using a last that was cast from my feet. Incredible.

Very likely! As I mentioned, I have terrible knee bend so I'm probably compensating for the forward pitch (or at least trying to).

I recall somebody else had this issue too, earlier in the thread. I wonder if it still bothers them.

I'm sure much of my issues (which arent much) are due to my poor skating. Maybe I can finally work on that aspect, now that I have a boot that isn't painful.

You may be referring to me. A couple people have mentioned hot spots around the tendon guard boot junction. Some think it was because of the extension from flexible tendon guard. In my case though it sounds like your problem. The main issue though was when I originally had mine baked, I probably leaned too far forward with flex during the back process. So, when they hardened, they were really digging into the back of my heels and causing the achilles to flair. The first couple skates, I could barely walk from the locker room to the ice. After a couple skates, I rebaked and then spot heated that area and pushed it out. Solved the problem on one foot, but not the other. Granted, the one that wasn't solved was so inflamed that it hurt in my Nike Free street shoes. After about a month now, last night was the first game where it wasn't killing me. I normally play/skate 5 or 6 times/week, but had to take a couple days off the second week to let things settle down, so, probably have ~ 20 skates in. Last night I could still feel it when standing straight up on the ice before the game and even on the bench, but not while skating.

I was never "fighting the forward lean". I loved it and love the position and the fit as a whole. It's just that that spot on the boot is not exactly "soft" or comfy, and when it was formed in the flexed position, that started the problem. still, even when they were killing me, I still preferred them over my Tones.

If it's bothering you, you might want to try spot heating and pushing it out a bit. If you just need to flex more though, that's an easy fix. Maybe it will be a good training cue for you if that's the problem.

You may be referring to me. A couple people have mentioned hot spots around the tendon guard boot junction. Some think it was because of the extension from flexible tendon guard. In my case though it sounds like your problem. The main issue though was when I originally had mine baked, I probably leaned too far forward with flex during the back process. So, when they hardened, they were really digging into the back of my heels and causing the achilles to flair. The first couple skates, I could barely walk from the locker room to the ice. After a couple skates, I rebaked and then spot heated that area and pushed it out. Solved the problem on one foot, but not the other. Granted, the one that wasn't solved was so inflamed that it hurt in my Nike Free street shoes. After about a month now, last night was the first game where it wasn't killing me. I normally play/skate 5 or 6 times/week, but had to take a couple days off the second week to let things settle down, so, probably have ~ 20 skates in. Last night I could still feel it when standing straight up on the ice before the game and even on the bench, but not while skating.

I was never "fighting the forward lean". I loved it and love the position and the fit as a whole. It's just that that spot on the boot is not exactly "soft" or comfy, and when it was formed in the flexed position, that started the problem. still, even when they were killing me, I still preferred them over my Tones.

If it's bothering you, you might want to try spot heating and pushing it out a bit. If you just need to flex more though, that's an easy fix. Maybe it will be a good training cue for you if that's the problem.

I might push it out a bit with some heat, but you're right - these things appear to be forcing me to fix my stride - with painful consequences if I dont ;)

The only concern i have is the length, once again. And once again they were perfect after baking, and hell even perfect sitting down with my knees bent. But once I stand up, the forward pitch makes my foot slide forward.

It sounds like your foot is swelling from supporting your weight without flexion, which is normal, right? Just like flyguy1 says, more knee bend and your foot flexes, so it contracts a bit, length wise. It sounds like they fit you perfectly--your constant skating micromanager: lose that knee bend one bit and it whips you.

I had the hot spot on the ankle from the corners of the back of the boot (near the tendon gaurd). After getting open blisters on both ankles I switched to thin hockey socks, wore some thin moleskin (to let my blisters heal) and heat gunned and pushed out the spots. I skated for the first time in two weeks without moleskin last night and had no issues. I don't know which of the things solved the problem but it is gone for me. I still have a little bit of an issue with arch pain (from the arches being too high for my flat feet). I have superfeet in them. I have used superfeet for years so I planned from the start on putting them in these skates as well. I'm pretty sure that if I went to the stock footbeds the arch pain would go away but I'm worried that I might then have too much space in the skate. I'll get around to trying it with the stock footbeds sometime soon.

Overall I LOVE these skates but I am already starting to get some pilling up on the tongue. I'm worried they are going to end up like mjpisat's picture soon. Hopefully not, but if they do, I'm going to have to figure out a way to fix them, because I LOVE THESE SKATES.

BTW... After skating in them once, I took a closer look at the orange liner inside and noticed that there was a folded over wrinkle sewn into the liner that wasn't supposed to be there. I was worried that it would eventually cause a blister or wear badly so I took it back to the LHS that I bought them at. They said no problem and switched them out for me (didn't even ask to see my receipt). Only thing is, the next pair we looked at had wrinkles sewn into the liner as well. We had to go to a third pair before we found a pair in which the liner looked good. So before you buy them, make sure you take a good look at the liner and get a pair that looks good.